Thoughts on Vista

tlarkin

VIP Member
DX10 is better, play crysis in both DX modes. You will want to continue using DX10 ;)

You guys can flame vista all day long, its a great OS. And one of these days you (yourself) will probably find yourself upgrading. Just like windows 2000 users finally found theirselfs going to XP. Im sure the same thing was being argued then about the all wonderful windows XP.

When your using XP for years, and you do a major change such as swapping to Vista, your not going to like it because your so used to XP's configuration. I found myself a little dissapointed in vista the first week of using it, but one i learn my way around. I would never want to use XP again, vista has so much more to offer for me.

Its like the first day of school, no one likes it.

I can't say crysis is a super great game, but it looks like its pretty much a rehash of every other shooter but with killer graphics. Crytek is a company that writes game engines that use top of the line hardware and really stress systems. However, you can run Crysis on a DX10 card on full settings in both XP and Vista. The only difference is it will be using the DX9.0c API layer instead of DX10, which boasts performance increases but what does it really do? It only really affects shading and lighting in my opinion and that doesn't make a huge difference, and if you talk about performance as in FPS in some cases DX10 (vista) was slower.

Here is an example

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/lost_planet_dx9_vs_dx10

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2174758,00.asp

IntelCrazy,

I am regurgitating forums? What are you doing? How can you justify your experiences? At least I explain myself where you just say its better, and I provide proof to back my opinions/arguments.

Last edited:

paratwa

INTELCRAZY;860341 I am not one of those ppl said:
Change is good, yes, when that change improves something. But not just for the sake of change. Tell me what changes Vista has made that improved your life or the way you use your computer. And don't say Aero. You can get a form of that in XP and linux.

I can't say crysis is a super great game, but it looks like its pretty much a rehash of every other shooter but with killer graphics. Crytek is a company that writes game engines that use top of the line hardware and really stress systems. However, you can run Crysis on a DX10 card on full settings in both XP and Vista. The only difference is it will be using the DX9.0c API layer instead of DX10, which boasts performance increases but what does it really do? It only really affects shading and lighting in my opinion and that doesn't make a huge difference, and if you talk about performance as in FPS in some cases DX10 (vista) was slower.

Here is an example

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/lost_planet_dx9_vs_dx10

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2174758,00.asp

IntelCrazy,

I am regurgitating forums? What are you doing? How can you justify your experiences? At least I explain myself where you just say its better, and I provide proof to back my opinions/arguments.

You don't regurgitate, wasn't pointed at you, and I have seen it alot on this forum. Justify? Hmm...well I have used it for more than a day and tried getting used to the change.

Oh, no doubt, Vista is a performance-hog.. No argument there... My argument is the bugs that ppl supposedly have. I have seen none... I don't care how much it takes of my system, I have the performance to distribute.. Yes, Crysis is eye-candy and I love the sandbox editor...

And Lost Planet sucks IMO.. The shaders and lighting help in water reflections... I figured that would easily be noticed with Bioshock between DX9 and DX10.

Iluvpenguins

1) A router is a router, it worked, i don't care if it comes with software or not. Having software or not doesn't justify whether a router is good or not, its whether it performs or fails at it's designated job.

2)What credit do you have exactly? anyone can say they have good credit, give us some reasons

3)I love how we're writing out personal experiences with this OS and you're just trolling, provide some in depth experience of your own

4)Change is never always good, thats like saying "oh, we had a coup d'etat that removed our government, and we are now ruled by the military that shoots us at will".

5)The FX5200 was shittier than the TI 4400, yet it's number is higher. Your logic is flawed.

Last edited:

ThatGuy16

VIP Member

Here is an example

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/los...et_dx9_vs_dx10

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2174758,00.asp

IntelCrazy,

My point is DX10 in gerneral is better than DX9, just using Crysis as an example.

Yes you get lower FPS in DX10, but i have noticed the physics and visuals in DX10 are better. I have noticed animations that are in DX10 but do not show in DX9 durring gameplay.

So of course DX10 is going to less FPS, the video card is going to be working harder. But if you want to blame vista for having the abillity to play DX10 even though the user clicks "play in DX10" instead of "play in DX9" , then yes its the opertaing systems fault :rolleyes:

Iluvpenguins

My point is DX10 in gerneral is better than DX9, just using Crysis as an example.

Yes you get lower FPS in DX10, but i have noticed the physics and visuals in DX10 are better. I have noticed animations that are in DX10 but do not show in DX9 durring gameplay.

So of course DX10 is going to less FPS, the video card is going to be working harder. But if you want to blame vista for having the abillity to play DX10 even though the user clicks "play in DX10" instead of "play in DX9" , then yes its the opertaing systems fault :rolleyes:

Well, why keep DX10 only for vista when it can be ported to XP? It'll work there too, and less resources will be used hence better performance, no? Thats just a very dumbed down way of how it'll work, but you can already get the DX10 visuals while playing DX9 with a little patch.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Oh god, are you talking about the BS "Very High" hack for crysis?.. no different, its just Very High in DX9. Just like High in DX9 vs. High in DX10.

1) A router is a router, it worked, i don't care if it comes with software or not. Having software or not doesn't justify whether a router is good or not, its whether it performs or fails at it's designated job.

2)What credit do you have exactly? anyone can say they have good credit, give us some reasons

3)I love how we're writing out personal experiences with this OS and you're just trolling, provide some in depth experience of your own

4)Change is never always good, thats like saying "oh, we had a coup d'etat that removed our government, and we are now ruled by the military that shoots us at will".

5)The FX5200 was shittier than the TI 4400, yet it's number is higher. Your logic is flawed.

Wasn't exactly a series now was it?

My credit: Jeep Liberty, new 2918sq. ft. house in the works, and whatever else I want.... (what did you mean by credit? I was talking financially, PAY ATTENTION!!)

And now you are starting to expose yourself by simply trying to defy my 'logic' with unusual circumstances..

I have been expressing my experiences, I have no problems with it... Other then spending $40 on a new AIO printer but, who cares, I needed a new one...

If it was good and had a good user, it wouldn't have had "problems".

And if you knew what 'good' credit was, you would be thinking about capacity...

Last edited:

JLV2k5

Can you use a DX10 card on XP operating system? If so , I am assuming that XP cannot utilize the advantages of the DX10 technology, and it would be the same as running the card with DX9. Please reveal the truth to me, Thanks

speedyink

VIP Member
People who like Vista are gonna like Vista. People who like XP are gonna like XP. It's as simple as that. What you should do JLV2K5, is try Vista for yourself and see if you like it. Borrow a disk or something, install it and try it for the 30 day evaluation period and see how you like it. I myself love Vista and would never revert back to XP. Any compatibility issue I had were fixed within a month or two after the release date through updates. Since then I've had no problems with Vista on my computer, Laptop, or on my brother's or parents computer.

Why do I like Vista?
-aero, it definately looks a hell of a lot nicer than XP.
-The ability to edit pictures through windows picture viewer. It's nice for those quick fixes.
-slideshow function in picture viewer. It looks a lot better than in XP.
-Speed. Who the hell said that Vista needs 2gb of ram to be speedy? I'm running on 1.5gb of crap ram and mine's running Vista with no slowdowns at any point (except in demanding games of course). It actually faster than XP in a few areas.
-DX10. I saw that argumented many times. Though small in advances now it has a lot more potential than DX9 will or any "DX10" patch. I honestly don't see why this couldn't be downloaded for XP, but tough beans I guess. Just another reason to upgrade:p
-Love the new Start menu with the search function. Makes finding things easier than going through explorer.
-3d flip. It may not be the most useful feature, but it sure looks cool:D
-live preview on the taskbar. Makes sorting through open pictures so much easier.

And a bunch of other little upgrades that I'm too lazy to type.

Just my 2 cents on this whole thing.

Last edited: