To Apple or not?

mrevil

This is my first post, be gentle. Im just an old fart trying to get some honest advice.
I have always had PC's and I dont know much about Apple computers. That being said I would like to know if anyone could tell me if the The Mac Pro "Quad Core" is a decent machine.
I found one for a pretty good deal, I think but it is 200 mi. away so i want to make sure. Here are the details.

APPLE MAC PRO DP 2.0GHZ
8GB RAM
DVD-RW
4 - 1 TB hard drives

The Mac Pro "Quad Core" is powered by two 2.0 GHz dual core Intel Xeon processors with 4 MB of shared level 2 cache per processor, a 128-bit SSE3 vector engine, and 1.33 GHz "64-bit dual independent frontside buses."

Expansion includes two external 5.25" "optical" bays (one occupied by default), four internal 3.5" "cable-free, direct attach" hard drive bays (three free by default), and four PCIe slots (three free with one graphics card installed). Ports include dual Gigabit Ethernet, five USB 2.0 ports, two Firewire "400" ports, two Firewire "800" ports, and optical digital audio in/out, among others.

Runs Mac OS X version 10.7.5
APPLE CINEMA DISPLAY 30-INCH ALUMINUM

The Apple 30-Inch Cinema Display (Aluminum) is designed for art and video professionals in mind utilizing crisp, accurate colors and room for multiple windows. This is the ultimate Apple Display. It features a 30-inch (2560x1600) wide-format active-matrix LCD display with 16.7 million colors, 170 degree viewing angle, and a response time of 16 ms. It sports dual FireWire 400 and dual USB 2.0 ports on the back of the display.

Please excuse the lengthy explanation of this system. They dont have a date of manufacture of this computer in their ad, I really would hate to buy something that will be obsolete in a year.
Is it a good deal at $400 ? Any advice would be most helpful.

I thank you for your time. After all, its the most precious thing we can give.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Do you need that much power?

Also it was probably manufactured between 2010-2011.

mrevil

So I am guessing that it would be a good deal?

We use our computer for some games ( nothing to processor taxing ) the Mrs. likes facebook, everyday paying of bills and watching stuff on you tube, E-mail and i like playing with the logic studio audio program.
I understand that if it is what the ad says, it has a lot of storage ( 4 TB ). Our current computer has a 80G drive and has 30 G of room still free after 2yrs of us using it.

A friend of ours has a Apple and loves it, but his is very different than the one for sale.
I did look on e-bay and saw some similar in the $100 to $250 and up for the tower alone. None with 4 TB though.
Makes me wonder if that might be a bogus ad, it just sounds a little to good.
I just dont want to pass up a good deal and kick myself later. I know we are going to have to upgrade our computer as we are still using Win XP.
The Apple is on craigslist and if it is a good deal it wont last long.

Thank you for your quick reply Voyagerfan99, Im confused can we have too much power? I am a auto mechanic by trade and in that profession we are always looking for more. At the same time my grandmother wouldn't appreciate a 70' Chevelle SS to drive to church.
I will listen, could you help me understand. Thanks again with respect

mrevil

Whats an i5?
Im just a computer illiterate auto mechanic using an old Dell Dimension 5150 reluctantly needing to get a newer system.
Do you think i should try and make a deal and buy that Apple? If it is still there.

Punk

Staff member
Ok, I get it. Wrong forum. Sorry for wasting your time.

I don't think the deal is worth it. Apple OS is a completely different OS (Operating System) and you'll struggle to get used to it. You talked about gaming then Facebook, was it gaming on Facebook or Gaming on other games? Because Mac OS is most of the time incompatible with gaming. Some games work though. If you were really to go Apple, I would suggest getting a new or recent product rather than an outdated one. They do have qualities but keep in mind that Apple acts a little like a cult, especially customers. Keep in mind that everything you'll buy will have to be compatible with Apple, including peripherals (mouse, keyboard etc).

What is your budget?

Laquer Head

Ok, I get it. Wrong forum. Sorry for wasting your time.

Absolutely not a waste of time, no need to feel that way.... just don't feel that it is a good fit for you. Sticking to a Windows based PC is gonna be far easier and less headache for you!

lovely?

Lol a good way to make someone run for the hills is to make a blanket statement in bold about what they need, and don't forget the !!!!!

Anyways, for the price you'll likely pay, and the learning curve of simply installing a program and finding/deleting everyday files, you'll terribly regret the purchase of a mac. Yes, it's quite powerful, but you'll be unable to use that power to any great extent because of your frustrations with the machine. For a bit more, you'll be able to buy a similarly fast Windows powered PC with brand new parts. You can even build in a micro (book sized) case and hang it on the back of the monitor!

The only nice thing about the mac is the LCD, it is high resolution and thus can pack a lot on the screen at once, think multitasking.

Last edited:

Laquer Head

Lol a good way to make someone run for the hills is to make a blanket statement in bold about what they need, and don't forget the !!!!!

Maybe I should have used a more pleasant color, like purple or green, along with my bold, blanketed statement
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Punk

Staff member
I agree with Lovely, look at the difference between your answer and mine, and we both say the same thing, just one has more information and explanation.

Laquer Head

I agree with Lovely, look at the difference between your answer and mine, and we both say the same thing, just one has more information and explanation.

I absolutely agree, but I'm not going to waste my time typing out a long response when a bold, blanket statement got my point across! I dont think its necessary for someone to get wound up and leave because of it, sorry he felt he needed to go..that wasn't my intent.

Punk

Staff member
I absolutely agree, but I'm not going to waste my time typing out a long response when a bold, blanket statement got my point across! I dont think its necessary for someone to get wound up and leave because of it, sorry he felt he needed to go..that wasn't my intent.

Well this is part of helping people on the forum. Most people won't blindly listen to you, hence why you need to give explanations.

silv55

Also Aple controls what you can stream,with win/linux PC you can go to any video streaming site,Aple blocks you.

silv55

And you got that information from where? Because that's not true.

Yes my friend has an Apple laptop and we wanted to watch a game from ''firstrowsports'' streaming site and it blocked it.
I mean pirate sites,that's where people that like free sports and all available sports go to.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yes my friend has an Apple laptop and we wanted to watch a game from ''firstrowsports'' streaming site and it blocked it.
I mean pirate sites,that's where people that like free sports and all available sports go to.
Yeah....that's not Apple blocking it.