Top hard drive/ram for gaming?

mkjaekmi

I was wondering if getting 2x WD Raptors is a smart thing to do?

I was planning to use it for gaming, and use the additional 150gb for a faster processing.

Secondly, is the OCZ ddr2 cl4 4gb any good?

Thank you

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I run two Raptors in a RAID 0 configuration and I am satisfied with the performance.

2048Megabytes

OCZ is well known for making quality memory. Do you have any further specifications or a link to the OCZ RAM you're buying?

oregon

I run two Raptors in a RAID 0 configuration and I am satisfied with the performance.

Satisfied... lol. Isn't that the fastest possible setup?

Check the frequency and timings on the ram. Most likely it's fine.

Last edited:

mkjaekmi

Last edited:

oregon

Don't bother looking there. Download SIW and it will tell you everything.

The RAM's you posted are good, but not worth the money.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't that the fastest possible setup?

Actually, no. Four in Raid 0 would probably be a little faster. :p

what if it's not in raid 0

I wouldn't purchase two Raptors unless you RAID them in a striped (0) configuration. Setting up a RAID configuration on the newer boards is usually pretty easy. For RAM, I'd recommend the Patriot 2GB. They have a good reputation, and the price is $36.99 after MIR.

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Whats the difference between setting up 2 wd raptors and having 2 wd raptors but raid 0ing them?

With a RAID 0 configuration, you combine the two hard drives to work as one, leading to faster performance.

Some believe the performance gains are negligible, and "not worth it." I've never compared the difference between a single Raptor and two in RAID 0, but I've seen several benchmarks that show two drives are faster than one.

Geoff

VIP Member
If all you care about is speed, then go for the two raptors in RAID 0. However personally I like both, which is why I have 4 320GB hard drives in RAID 0, and I get much faster transfer rates then a single or even dual raptor array would get.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
[-0MEGA-];844604 said:
If all you care about is speed, then go for the two raptors in RAID 0. However personally I like both, which is why I have 4 320GB hard drives in RAID 0, and I get much faster transfer rates then a single or even dual raptor array would get.

Don't you worry about corruption, losing all 4 drives and data? Or do you back up externally somewhere?

mkjaekmi

So let me get this clear, If I have 2 wd raptors, I get 10,000 rpm, (higher of the 2, so still 10,000 rpm), 150gb+150gb = 300gb. However if it's in raid 0, it's the same thing just a little faster. Correct?
How do I get raid 0?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
So let me get this clear, If I have 2 wd raptors, I get 10,000 rpm, (higher of the 2, so still 10,000 rpm), 150gb+150gb = 300gb. However if it's in raid 0, it's the same thing just a little faster. Correct?
How do I get raid 0?

Actually, the drives become one, so you get approx. 137 GB of data storage. In order to run a RAID configuration, you must have a motherboard that supports RAID, or a PCI RAID controller. Many motherboards support RAID, so that shouldn't be a problem.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, the drives become one, so you get approx. 137 GB of data storage. In order to run a RAID configuration, you must have a motherboard that supports RAID, or a PCI RAID controller. Many motherboards support RAID, so that shouldn't be a problem.

150 gb if he runs raid 1, 300 if he runs raid 0. I think you got confused.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
150 gb if he runs raid 1, 300 if he runs raid 0. I think you got confused.

No sir, I'm not confused. Technically, you have two drives for a total of 279 GB. However, since the two drives are combined as one, you only have 139 GB of storage available, not 137 as I incorrectly mentioned in my previous post. If I'm wrong, Omega will correct me. He's running a RAID 0 array as well.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Don't you worry about corruption, losing all 4 drives and data? Or do you back up externally somewhere?
It's always a possibility, but thats why I backup all of my documents, media, saved games, etc to an external 500GB hard drive.

No sir, I'm not confused. Technically, you have two drives for a total of 279 GB. However, since the two drives are combined as one, you only have 139 GB of storage available, not 137 as I incorrectly mentioned in my previous post. If I'm wrong, Omega will correct me. He's running a RAID 0 array as well.

diskdrives.jpg
RAID 0 combines all the hard drives in the array (given that they are all the same capacity). I'm a bit unclear on what you're asking here, but if you have two 139GB hard drives in RAID 0, you should see one hard drive appear as ~278GB. If you have two 139GB drives in RAID, it's possible you have it in RAID 1 instead of RAID 0.

Heres what it looks like for me running my four 320GB drives:

free_space.jpg

newguy5

so why do you have 1.2 terabytes of hdd space if you're only using a fraction of that?

also, do you not partition your drives? what if you need to reinstall windows, when you format wouldn't you lose everything?

Geoff

VIP Member
so why do you have 1.2 terabytes of hdd space if you're only using a fraction of that?

also, do you not partition your drives? what if you need to reinstall windows, when you format wouldn't you lose everything?
That screenshot was taking after I just installed Windows and some games. I have about 205GB used now, although I'm going to import my media collection to my computer so that will take up most of the space.

I rarely partition my drives. I used to have one partition for the OS, one for games/apps, and another for documents. I found it was a pain to manually change all the install directories and when I did need to reformat, I had to reinstall all the programs again anyways.

If/when I need to reformat, the RAID array stays in tact, but just like a single drive everything is gone. Thats why for the mean time the 500GB external drive I have is more then enough for a backup.