Travis' Alienware M15x Review

Hello, and this is my Alienware Area-51 m15x laptop review. When I came home from school, it had arrived. I cannot post an unboxing video as my mom opened it. :'(

Here are some sized down pictures of it.

m15xbackwr4.jpg
m15xfrontbg9.jpg

I will summarize the computer in to categories about it.

Screen: The screen is a gorgeous 15.4" display with clearview. It has a 1440 resolution, which is more than i'm used to. I have not found any dead or stuck pixels, and it is bright. However, the screen is really wobbly.

Keyboard: The keyboard is one of the selling points of the m15x. It, along with the logo, bezil, touchpad, and alienhead lightup in different colors. You can even set it to pulse. In terms of performance, I do not really like the keyboard as much as other laptops. You can't type fast, because it misses some letters, and there is some give or whatever in the lower right area by the arrow keys. This is bad for gaming.

Touchpad: Again, the touchpad lights up. Other than that, I would say it is average. It is really glossy, but that's why I have a logitech mouse.

Optical Drive: The optical drive can only be opened with the fn+f8 keys. I don't like this, or the fact that it is a little flimsy.

Sound: I haven't tested it yet. I'll get to it later in a later post.

Performance: I will post cod4 benchmarks later.

Other ---

This laptop is in my specs. 8700m gt graphics card, T8300 2.4ghz processor, dvd burner, 15.4" 1440 resolution, and lights everywhere.

I have been satisfied with it so far, except the OWNER IDENTIFICATION CARD WAS NOT INCLUDED :(

`PaWz

banned
And yet another mac fanboy comment from you. :rolleyes:

Pressing Fn+F8 would be too much effort for you, wouldn't it?

Last edited:

Kill Bill

And yet another mac fanboy comment from you. :rolleyes:

Pressing Fn+F8 would be too much effort for you, wouldn't it?

My laptop doesn't have FN, What does that mean? And it's not a fanboy comment its the truth. Do you need a rolling demo to set you straight.

`PaWz

banned
Who cares if it's the truth? There's nothing 'terrible' about pressing two keys to open up an optical drive. The fact that you think the mac is better because you can press one key instead of two makes it a fanboy comment.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You could always get "CD Tray Pal" and configure one key to open it.

I think it's alienware's stock drivers, as they are always bad. After a while of playing cod4, the display stopped working ect. I'll update the drivers later.

On gta san andreas, 1440 res with 2x anti, I get 50-60fps.

G25r8cer

Ha my stock HP pc has 2 open buttons for each tray! LOL

Alienware is over-rated! Thats the TRUTH

G25r8cer

I think it's alienware's stock drivers, as they are always bad. After a while of playing cod4, the display stopped working ect. I'll update the drivers later.

And how much did your mommy spend on that? Thats crap frame rate!! I get more than that with my 8600gt!!! And I bet I have half as much money in my pc as what that laptop costs!

Kill Bill

OUCH! Uninstall the GPU and Sound and grab some from the Nvidia/Realtek etc web sites

G25r8cer

Sorry speedyink! I just get heated about people wasting their money b/c they have it and they get some over-rated crap and try to show it off! LOL

I can't get the x-540's to work

i have no idea what to plug where theres millions of cords im about to put the speakers back in the box

Vizy

Sorry speedyink! I just get heated about people wasting their money b/c they have it and they get some over-rated crap and try to show it off! LOL

LOL, thats not funny at all. He bought a laptop and he's showing us. not showing off/B]. And if people pay money for something they're going to use, it's none of you business is it?

the subwoofer has to have 4 different cords pluged into it - then there's this other cord that plugs into a converter, and the sound still doesn't work. Just don't worry about it; they're packed away for now. I'd rather spend my first few hours of owning this playing games than setting speakers up.

And how am I showing off? I don't have a $4000 laptop with sli 800's I have a gaming laptop that has lights - so? Someone here said about wanting the m15x, so that gave me another reason to write this.

Okay, some people complain about the sound, but it is ok for me. Maybe that's because i'm used to headphones and laptops, but it is crisp and loud.

G25r8cer

the subwoofer has to have 4 different cords pluged into it - then there's this other cord that plugs into a converter, and the sound still doesn't work. Just don't worry about it; they're packed away for now. I'd rather spend my first few hours of owning this playing games than setting speakers up.

And how am I showing off? I don't have a $4000 laptop with sli 800's I have a gaming laptop that has lights - so? Someone here said about wanting the m15x, so that gave me another reason to write this.

SLI 800's??