True n00b needs help with first build attempt...

FXB

I got the MB installed, I put in the chip and thermal compounded it then put the cooler fan on and actually figured out where to plug it into. I then installed the GSkill memory no problem. I installed the power source but have no idea where to plug that into, there's like 4 different plugs on it. I also put in the CD/DVD rom but don't know where to plug that into either.:confused:

Think I'll get something to eat before I try to figure anything else out... any help, fellas?

If you read the manuel that came with your mobo there should be a layout diagram that labels everything you can also find some info in the PSU manuel.

To connect your PSU to the mobo there is a 24 pin connector that is the one that powers your motherboard.

What type of power supply do you have? Which motherboard do you have?

blazin8556

basically plugging everything in is a matching game. the board and the power supply should have came with a book or paper showing what everything is. the plugs will only go in one way with little to no effort. you should have the large harness, 20 or 24 pins, and something to power the cpu. 4 or 6 pin connector. the power supply should have come with several. and if its modular i don't think it matters where it plugs into the ps. as long as the component end is right.

thats all i know to tell you on that.

sorry if it doesn't make sense.. just got done with the last day of a 4 day shift at 12 hours a day.

Benny Boy

:good:^

and the sata power and sata data cable ends that go to the hdd and cd/dvd are L shaped. The larger of the L's is the power from the ps, and the smaller L is the data cable that connects to the MB sata ports. 1 cable/port each for the data, and the ps may have 2 or 3 power connectors on 1 cable.

On the mb will be the "header"pins and thats where the cable wires from the from of the case go for hdd led, pwr switch(button) and reset switch.
The board will probly have 3 pin headers for fans.
I'll take a look at the mb and ps to see what you have.

When you install the hdd, have the interface ( where the cables connect)on the right side of the case(opposite the window) and run all(or as much as you can) the cables on that side, hiding a much as you can there, and behind the mb. The goal is to not have much cable showing for a neat appearance, and those you can't hide completely running to the nearest place that hides the rest. More importantly this will make for better air flow.

Last edited: