True n00b needs help with first build attempt...

Benny Boy

hehe,,,it's easy. you'll be fine. and i like your choices.
the case holds 5 fans but 4 will be pleny.
need 1-140mm(14cm).
and 1-120mm(12cm).
looking for quietness...19bda ought to do it.
and 7 H?
Card reader/writer for flash cards/thunb drives(and they have extra usb on them) are about 15 if you want one of those, just thought I'd ask.
I found a great deal on my 7 on craigslist,,new & sealed is all would do there.
OEM is cheaper than retail and it's about 100 on newegg.
How 'bout a list update! Don't want to miss anything.
anything i can help you with after you get everything together,,,let me/us know.

Last edited:

Irishpride

hehe,,,it's easy. you'll be fine. and i like your choices.
the case holds 5 fans but 4 will be pleny.
need 1-140mm(14cm).
and 1-120mm(12cm).
looking for quietness...19bda ought to do it.
and 7 H?
Card reader/writer for flash cards/thunb drives(and they have extra usb on them) are about 15 if you want one of those, just thought I'd ask.
I found a great deal on my 7 on craigslist,,new & sealed is all would do there.
OEM is cheaper than retail and it's about 100 on newegg.
How 'bout a list update! Don't want to miss anything.
anything i can help you with after you get everything together,,,let me/us know.
Ok, I picked up two fans that you suggested and edited the first post in the thread outlining everything I have. Whats a card reader? Do I need it? If so, point me in the right direction brotha! (Is a 7 H the card reader?)

Benny Boy

Ok, I picked up two fans that you suggested and edited the first post in the thread outlining everything I have. Whats a card reader? Do I need it? If so, point me in the right direction brotha! (Is a 7 H the card reader?)
I meant Windows 7 Home Edition. I found it new and still factory sealed Retail version of 7 Ultimate at a good price on Craigslist when I got mine. Newegg has the oem version for about 100.
OEM is what builders/pc manufacturers use. It doesn't come with MS support because the buyer of the pc is supposed to go to thier manufacturer for that(hence the Dell disc etc).
The retail version comes with MS support of course, but can't say tht I've ever needed them. I just got a better deal on my retail that's why I got it, otherwise I'd have gotten the oem cuz it's much less.
You get all the updates with either version and there's no diff in the operating systems.

Don't have to have card r/w. It's for camera/phone, any type device that you have a flash or memory card for. They have'em that fit where the 3.5" floppy drive would usually go (floppys aren't used much any more) or ones that fit a 5.25" bay like the size of the cd/dvd drive.
Perhaps you have one on a printer or something but as a suggestion it may be handy to have one right there on the tower when working with photos/data/whatever.
This one can have more than 1 card in at a time to transfer stuff between cards.(don't have to trans. to hdd then put another card in and transfer it again).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820816004
There's many to chose from.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007766&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&SrchInDesc=3%2E5&Page=1&PageSize=100

If your getting W 7 Home, and getting it from the Egg, here's the page. The upgrade version is if the pc already has Vista or 7 Starter on it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Order=BESTMATCH&Description=7+home+&x=18&y=46

yet another edit, haha. Forgot to mention that 64 bit is better for W 7. 32 bit only utilizes about 3.5 gb of memory no matter how much is installed. 64 bit will use all that's installed.

Last edited:

Irishpride

Hey Benny, I got your message but can't figure out how to respond, or even access your info!! Am I restricted, stupid, or BOTH!? Ha ha.

Benny Boy

Ok, I just picked up a card reader.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820223108

On the OS, I have a guy from Craigslist that said he'd make a copy of Windows 7 and give me the "key" with it for $40... does this sound right?
:good:...to the card r/w.
well, I dont think it's legal, and i'd be leary of spyware on my system that would be undetectable.
the key may be ok to sell, don't know for sure. if it is then its probly ok on the disc if its a genuin disc and not a copy.

Irishpride

@FXB... What's 4chan? And thanks for the 100 post remark. I looked at the faqs but it didn't tell me anything.

@Benny Boy... Shit! So I'm stuck springing for the full-price copy, ha ha?

Anyways, If I have to spend the $100 for the full OS copy, I'm into this for under $900... pretty sweet, right? (Plus the HD shipped to your door for helping me fire it up! :D)

FXB

:good:...to the card r/w.
well, I dont think it's legal, and i'd be leary of spyware on my system that would be undetectable.
the key may be ok to sell, don't know for sure. if it is then its probly ok on the disc if its a genuin disc and not a copy.

you also want to watch out because every key can only be used 3 times so the key might not work and I do believe it is illegal to sell it. Be safe get your own copy.

Whatever you do don't let your 8 year old go on 4chan. It's an anonymous message boards website where users mostly post images and discuss. 4Chan users have been responsible for for the formation or popularization of Internet memes such as lolcats, Rickrolling, "Chocolate Rain", "Pedobear", and many others.

Last edited:

Benny Boy

@FXB... What's 4chan? And thanks for the 100 post remark. I looked at the faqs but it didn't tell me anything.

@Benny Boy... Shit! So I'm stuck springing for the full-price copy, ha ha?

Anyways, If I have to spend the $100 for the full OS copy, I'm into this for under $900... pretty sweet, right? (Plus the HD shipped to your door for helping me fire it up! :D)

Yep under 9 with 100 going to the os is good. :)
i'm not gonna hold you too that hdd, but i won't turn it down either !:D
Hey Irish, try going to User CP @ the top left of this page, then go to edit options, and look over those settings in there.

@FXB I knew it took 100 for pm's, but are you sure about just a visitor message? cuz i'm not finding it either. Seems odd that under 100 could recieve a vm but not send 1, as a matter of fact, i now remember sending vm's whrn i had less than 100 post! so must be the settings in edit options.

FXB

@FXB I knew it took 100 for pm's, but are you sure about just a visitor message? cuz i'm not finding it either. Seems odd that under 100 could recieve a vm but not send 1, as a matter of fact, i now remember sending vm's whrn i had less than 100 post! so must be the settings in edit options.

It might be a new rule I remember not being able to send PM when I didn't have 100 posts I believe it's in the new user/welcome thread. I just took a look and I can't seem to find it anywhere. However I'm sure I read this somewhere.

Last edited:

Irishpride

Yep under 9 with 100 going to the os is good. :)
i'm not gonna hold you too that hdd, but i won't turn it down either !:D
Hey Irish, try going to User CP @ the top left of this page, then go to edit options, and look over those settings in there.

Ha ha, you're gettin that HD, brother! I wouldn't have gotten this far without you. 84,014 members and you're basically the only one to help me out. :rolleyes:

Hey 4Channer, is there a 7channer group?

Anyways, In my short time on the WWW, I've grown used to being banned from places and such... no biggie! I'm sure I'll earn my stripes on here eventually.

Benny Boy

Ha ha, you're gettin that HD, brother! I wouldn't have gotten this far without you. 84,014 members and you're basically the only one to help me out. :rolleyes:

Hey 4Channer, is there a 7channer group?

Anyways, In my short time on the WWW, I've grown used to being banned from places and such... no biggie! I'm sure I'll earn my stripes on here eventually.

Woo Hoooo :D. yeah, i'm supprised no one contributed.

Perhaps this isn't enabled in you're 'edit options'.

Last edited:

Thanatos

Whatever you do don't let your 8 year old go on 4chan. It's an anonymous message boards website where users mostly post images and discuss. 4Chan users have been responsible for for the formation or popularization of Internet memes such as lolcats, Rickrolling, "Chocolate Rain", "Pedobear", and many others.

yeah. i would look into a web filter. block all of those.....adult websites. and borderlands. :)

Irishpride

Ok, other than two more fans, everything came today. Judging from the tutorial showing how a build is done, I guess I'll start with the MB. God help us all! :eek:

Irishpride

I got the MB installed, I put in the chip and thermal compounded it then put the cooler fan on and actually figured out where to plug it into. I then installed the GSkill memory no problem. I installed the power source but have no idea where to plug that into, there's like 4 different plugs on it. I also put in the CD/DVD rom but don't know where to plug that into either.:confused:

Think I'll get something to eat before I try to figure anything else out... any help, fellas?