Trying Linux Mint

DMGrier

VIP Member
Thanks Unholyvision for your response. I reassure you that I am in no way trying to troll you or this post. I read my original post to the OP and it was actually sound advice. I explained to the OP to try and install an officially maintained PPA and get the latest proprietary video drivers for there card as for a newbie this would have been the easiest option on Linux Mint. Also trying to correct the misconception from the OP that Valve is working on a steam client when one has been available for years. I can admit I did not take kindly to you initially quoting and reading too far into my driver statement which is what prompted my rebuttal. My point on the driver subject was when people new to Linux look at how to get drivers for Linux especially in the Ubuntu based distro's "Why is the latest Nvidia drivers not showing in the driver manager?". This is one I have had to answer to many times on other forums.

On the note of me pointing out my Linux Sysadmin status to you was not an authority play. More or less to try and show you that I am not just blowing smoke here, been a long time Linux user on here and get paid to do it. There is a problem in the community of people who give bad advice as they don't have any real experience with the system and my goal was to show that I am not one of those.

Also if you read the CoC in no way has our debate actually violated it. We in the process of our debate have not insulted anyone, their beliefs or any entity. Calling something as it is a pile of crap (Xorg) still does not violate the new CoC. I would also at some point like to know your thoughts on the new CoC. Not here as I feel we hijacked this thread enough but personally a little worried about what will come of it when you look at how code is owned in GPLv2, as good as the new CoC is it can have a negative effect for those who rely on the kernel.

To the OP.
I recommend installing the proprietary nvidia drivers on your machine. I don't know if I would go as far as to say the open source ones are crap but I will say I have never had good luck with them. For Linux Mint I would suggest the easiest way is to use the officially maintained PPA. I am not a fan of PPA's unless they are maintained by the official project, so in this case you should be fine. You should have the proprietary ones available to you in your driver manager, they will be older but will still work. If you need help with this let us know as I am sure myself or Unholyvision would love to help you with that.

For making steam work. Simply open your Linux Mint software center and search for steam and install the official package. You can also open a terminal and type sudo apt install steam. You don't have "to get it working". It is natively supported.

Darren

Staff member
Just chiming in that I appreciate the diplomacy on both sides here.

I'm a Windows guy so learning a lot reading through this actually. :D

DMGrier

VIP Member
Darren, your chiming in is always welcomed. Has been a while since I have been on the forum but I am glad to see some new blood posting on here.

Funny story about a Windows person learning a lot when it comes to Linux. So I work with a team of six people in my department. We run a lot of Linux servers and a few Windows servers (AD and Exchange). My colleagues always hear me curse Windows Server 2016 and some of the weird qwirk's it has from time to time. So one day one of my colleagues got an itch to try Linux. I set them up on a Ubuntu Mate machine and let them run with it. After a few days I asked them how was it going and they tell me "Google Chrome is so weird on Linux..." which, prompted me to ask them, "How did you install Google Chrome on Linux?". They then responded with "Well you know... the way you Linux guys do it, the command line....". They then showed me some weird guide they followed for installing Chrome from source and they complied some way old version. I explained to this person, "You do know you can install Google Chrome the same way on Linux as you do on Windows... You know the way you Windows people do it.... Go to the website... Pull down an installer and double click....". The look on the persons face was priceless. She is a Windows desktop power user and does not do much server side as she is on the app support side of the IT house.

It is interesting how people perceive how things are done one operating system to the next.

UnholyVision

On the note of me pointing out my Linux Sysadmin status to you was not an authority play. More or less to try and show you that I am not just blowing smoke here, been a long time Linux user on here and get paid to do it..
You're asserting I cared and made blind assumptions again. I never said anything about your status of being a non-linux user nor did I state you were just taking the piss. You're the one who brought in feelings and all this assuming of what one is thinking. I have no power of diving into others minds to even build such assumptions with a text based system. If we were showing forms of body language and other communicative procedures then sure I could build a profile on the core of a person. However, again this all circles back to me saying this one thing. "I could care less whom you are". You could be Linus or Richard & I would still not care. (Before I'm flagged as being emotional. No that's not me being rude. It's me not caring as it doesn't matter. You can be a hobo on the side of the road and be smarter than either of those two put together).

Also if you read the CoC in no way has our debate actually violated it. We in the process of our debate have not insulted anyone, their beliefs or any entity. Calling something as it is a pile of crap (Xorg) still does not violate the new CoC. I would also at some point like to know your thoughts on the new CoC. Not here as I feel we hijacked this thread enough but personally a little worried about what will come of it when you look at how code is owned in GPLv2, as good as the new CoC is it can have a negative effect for those who rely on the kernel.
This here is all I need to know, to make a assumption you're trolling or just very uneducated on the topic. Clearly you have not read the new CoC and how easily it can be manipulated. Nor seen it in action first hand.

This very bland rule in the CoC "Public or private harassment" has and continues to be abused on anyone whom adopts this new CoC. When a project can be hijacked to the point of an individual refusing to merge in some code because it breaks something gets deemed, "Transphobic" and the individual gets removed from said project. I say you haven't read the CoC or you're blindly ignorant. (This right here is a little bit showing emotion. Because I have had this hinder projects. It makes my work harder).

This CoC has not only infected the kernel it has infected other areas in the tech world too. The creator's political mission to pave its way to the kernel. Perl and many other areas have adopted this crap. Python has for a good while now been infected with this CoC and their doing stupid things like this.
https://hub.packtpub.com/python-ser...sive-master-slave-terms-in-its-documentation/

Instead of improving code and contributing to the project. It's a witch hunt for evil oppressive words.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnQTRZoXcAAXYJj.jpg:large

Edit: Your follow up post making a jab has secured a block from me. You have a good one if you can see my posts after a block.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Darren, your chiming in is always welcomed. Has been a while since I have been on the forum but I am glad to see some new blood posting on here.

Funny story about a Windows person learning a lot when it comes to Linux. So I work with a team of six people in my department. We run a lot of Linux servers and a few Windows servers (AD and Exchange). My colleagues always hear me curse Windows Server 2016 and some of the weird qwirk's it has from time to time. So one day one of my colleagues got an itch to try Linux. I set them up on a Ubuntu Mate machine and let them run with it. After a few days I asked them how was it going and they tell me "Google Chrome is so weird on Linux..." which, prompted me to ask them, "How did you install Google Chrome on Linux?". They then responded with "Well you know... the way you Linux guys do it, the command line....". They then showed me some weird guide they followed for installing Chrome from source and they complied some way old version. I explained to this person, "You do know you can install Google Chrome the same way on Linux as you do on Windows... You know the way you Windows people do it.... Go to the website... Pull down an installer and double click....". The look on the persons face was priceless. She is a Windows desktop power user and does not do much server side as she is on the app support side of the IT house.

It is interesting how people perceive how things are done one operating system to the next.

I still get completely turned around moving thru macOS. Feel like I'm physically handicapped since I can fly thru menus in Windows but can't figure out how to open a flash drive in macOS.

I have more familiarity with Linux than macOS actually, ran Fedora for a programming class where we had to compile from command line and messed with it a couple times on my own. Haven't touched it in a couple years though and it's always changing.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I still get completely turned around moving thru macOS. Feel like I'm physically handicapped since I can fly thru menus in Windows but can't figure out how to open a flash drive in macOS.

Alright Darren, last funny story about me this time before I hop of this thread. Some other posters are starting to personalize a bit...

So this is my experience on a Mac....

Some years ago my cousin gives me a call and asked if I could help her. She was starting college back up to get her degree as an NP and with enrollment got the latest version of Microsoft Office included. She needed help uninstalling the old version of Office on her Mac and then installing the new version on her Mac. Which, I then went on to tell her that the last time I touched a Mac was when they were still called Macintosh in public schools but, I figured how bad could it be? So I went over and booted up her Mac and started to use google to see how you uninstall something on the Mac computer. I guess in some of the older version of Office, Microsoft used to include some uninstaller in the install folder but later removed or I couldn't find it. So, everyone else on the Mac forums was saying in the file explorer you simply grab the Office folder under Application and drag it to trash. I thought to myself there is no way that is it, I remember meeting a guy who thought the way you uninstall applications on Windows was by dragging the shortcut to the recycle bin. After a while of digging online I tried exactly that and and sure enough it worked!

That was and will be the last time I touch a Mac, until the next time she calls. :)

Darren

Staff member
Alright Darren, last funny story about me this time before I hop of this thread. Some other posters are starting to personalize a bit...

So this is my experience on a Mac....

Some years ago my cousin gives me a call and asked if I could help her. She was starting college back up to get her degree as an NP and with enrollment got the latest version of Microsoft Office included. She needed help uninstalling the old version of Office on her Mac and then installing the new version on her Mac. Which, I then went on to tell her that the last time I touched a Mac was when they were still called Macintosh in public schools but, I figured how bad could it be? So I went over and booted up her Mac and started to use google to see how you uninstall something on the Mac computer. I guess in some of the older version of Office, Microsoft used to include some uninstaller in the install folder but later removed or I couldn't find it. So, everyone else on the Mac forums was saying in the file explorer you simply grab the Office folder under Application and drag it to trash. I thought to myself there is no way that is it, I remember meeting a guy who thought the way you uninstall applications on Windows was by dragging the shortcut to the recycle bin. After a while of digging online I tired exactly that and and sure enough it worked!

That was and will be the last time I touch a Mac, until the next time she calls. :)

Yeah I know that feeling, stuff is like stupidly simple in some ways but other stuff is impossible to find because they just don't want you to have access to it or it just doesn't exist. Not having a task manager in macOS made me want to hit somebody.

UnholyVision

I have more familiarity with Linux than macOS actually, ran Fedora for a programming class where we had to compile from command line and messed with it a couple times on my own. Haven't touched it in a couple years though and it's always changing.
You should branched out and distro hop. Fedora while isn't a bad distro, isn't for everyone. You might find something you just can't live without. :)

I know if my only experience was with Debian and/or Ubuntu, I wouldn't be using Linux now or I would be begrudgingly doing it out of moral reasons. I just can't stand the PPA's and the whole apt package system. Happy that Linux is the OS of options.