Trying to get a old PC to live again.

So I have aquired an old olivetti pc for free,from circa 1997.
It has windows 98 on it but it is full of crap,viruses and other suff,so I want to reinstall windows.
I have a original windows 98 CD but the Windows 98 floppy has gone bad.
I have some empty floppies and I want to make them bootable,but I don't have any clue how and google hasn't helped me.
Btw the PC isn't able to boot of of a CD (Bios doesn't have that option)
Thanks for your help!
Sorry if I made mistakes in my english,I am not a native speaker.

mistersprinkles

If you have the install media and you have a valid key for it then go for it.

I'm pretty sure it CAN boot from CD. If it's from 1997, it can boot from CD.

If you have the install media and you have a valid key for it then go for it.

I'm pretty sure it CAN boot from CD. If it's from 1997, it can boot from CD.
Well,like I said I don't know how to make a floppy with the data that windows 98 needs to boot,and the CD option is just not there,the CD drive is working btw.
A bootdisk I think those are called.

Laquer Head

Do you really want to spend any time on a 20 year old dinosaur that has zero support, zero capability, probably zero compatibility with anything modern, crazy slow...I'd use it to prop up the low end of my basement couch truthfully.

Do you really want to spend any time on a 20 year old dinosaur that has zero support, zero capability, probably zero compatibility with anything modern, crazy slow...I'd use it to prop up the low end of my basement couch truthfully.
Well I like working on old pieces of history,every pc has some cool history in it,For example this particular one was used in a PC caffee,as a security camera as I've been told.
If you're not into this old PC stuff,then you commented uselessly.

Laquer Head

Well I like working on old pieces of history,every pc has some cool history in it,For example this particular one was used in a PC caffee,as a security camera as I've been told.
If you're not into this old PC stuff,then you commented uselessly.
I most certainly didn't comment uselessly... You are talking about 'history' like this piece of junk relic was ever worth more than generic plastic and chinese internals, its junk.. get over it.,

mistersprinkles

I most certainly didn't comment uselessly... You are talking about 'history' like this piece of junk relic was ever worth more than generic plastic and chinese internals, its junk.. get over it.,

I have to disagree. To you it may be junk but some people enjoy the nostalgia of firing up obsolete computers. Lots of people still play with C64, Tandy, Amiga, etc machines. If the OP wants to fire up Win98 and maybe play some Quake II or something I don't see anything wrong with it.
He's just asking how to install Win98. I don't see what the big deal is.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Just because you and I would never want to cast gaze upon Win98 again (let's be honest it was horrible) that doesn't mean everyone else feels that way :D

Well,like I said I don't know how to make a floppy with the data that windows 98 needs to boot,and the CD option is just not there,the CD drive is working btw.
A bootdisk I think those are called.

There has to be a boot menu option, probably one of the "F" keys.

I have to disagree. To you it may be junk but some people enjoy the nostalgia of firing up obsolete computers. Lots of people still play with C64, Tandy, Amiga, etc machines. If the OP wants to fire up Win98 and maybe play some Quake II or something I don't see anything wrong with it.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Just because you and I would never want to cast gaze upon Win98 again (let's be honest it was horrible) that doesn't mean everyone else feels that way :D

Thanks for the backup :D
There is a boot option with just Floppy and HDD.

Laquer Head

Thanks for the backup :D
There is a boot option with just Floppy and HDD.

I have to disagree.. you are both coocoo birds... especially @mistersprinkles

mistersprinkles

I have to disagree.. you are both coocoo birds... especially @mistersprinkles

There is a market out there for coocoo birds. They make accelerator boards for Amigas that make them about 100X more capable than the stock machine for people to screw with.

BTW @Laquer Head I notice you also have a 1080. It is quite crispy is it not? Did your E-peen shrivel when 1080Ti came out like mine did?

Last edited:

Deadpool

Laquer Head

There is a market out there for coocoo birds. They make accelerator boards for Amigas that make them about 100X more capable than the stock machine for people to screw with.

BTW @Laquer Head I notice you also have a 1080. It is quite crispy is it not? Did your E-peen shrivel when 1080Ti came out like mine did?

Crispy? like run hot? not bad really and it cools down fast--and its near-silent even at full tilt

To answer your question, I make alot of money for doing very little work so I'm grabbing the TI as soon as MSI drops their Gaming X variant..LOL

The current 1080 is going into a buddies rig for his birthday cause I'm right into recycling!

Deadpool

So question for ya..., are you pretty much just gonna comment to disagree on every post I make just to be an obstinate prick or...?

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just don't know why you have to make those comments. They are not productive, and clearly annoying. An user left the forum yesterday for crap like that. Why don't you just answer the question or not answer at all?

The question was "how to make a bootable floppy?", not "What should I do with my free time?"

Laquer Head

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just don't know why you have to make those comments. They are not productive, and clearly annoying. An user left the forum yesterday for crap like that. Why don't you just answer the question or not answer at all?

The question was "how to make a bootable floppy?", not "What should I do with my free time?"

I wish you'd heed my advice the other day.. don't poke the dog.. just friggin mind your shit and don't worry bout what I'm doing..Your'e getting on my nerves

mistersprinkles

If the user you refer to is the guy I think it is, good riddance. Stop with your whole trip about "productive"/"annoying" comments dude. This is a free and open forum where people express their feelings. I like this much better than a nazi style locked down forum of which I have been a member of many times.
It's like today and yesterday all your comments to me and lacky are "You're not productive"

Have you considered that telling us we're not productive is not productive?

mistersprinkles

When I upgraded from 980 to 1080 I offered my friend, who has a 560Ti, my 980 as an early xmas present. He said it wasn't worth the hassle of swapping the cards out. I said I'd do it for him. He goes "naaaah". He then proceeds to complain every time we game at his house or my house that his graphics card is a piece of crap. Every time I show him a new game he goes "That's cool, I wish I could run it".

I don't get some people. Especially this guy... and I've known him since I was five and he was four... so go figure. We're 33/32 now.