trying to save drivers to disc

Darren

Staff member
The exe's you downloaded don't actually contain the driver software until they're run and extracted/installed. Windows won't be able to find anything usable within that exe until it's been run and parked its files somewhere.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you have the ethernet or wireless driver file on your flash drive and is one of them that did finish completely then its just a matter of running the exe and it will automatically install the drivers. Dells software should unpack the exe and start installing. Not sure what the problem is you are having.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So which driver do those files belong to? Is it the touchpad? Looks like its corrupt.

Laquer Head

Corrupted files are computer files that suddenly become inoperable or unusable. There are several reasons why a file may become corrupted. ... A corrupted file may occur due to a defect or bug in the software used to create and manipulate the file in question.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking you are doing something you shouldn't. You should originally only have the 5 exe files you downloaded from dell on your flash drive. Once you double click on them they should self extract to C\dell\drivers folder and then start the install process.

This is what the root directory of your flash drive should look like after you saved all those files to it.

example.jpg

Then run each one and let it send files to wherever it defaults to. The install process should start by itself.

ok, so i got files saved and transferred in format john shows above... I had to put some on flash drive, transfer, then erase flash drive to transfer the rest because I only had 64mb on flash drive. one driver was too large so I put it on disk to transfer. I then ran all driver sand it said everything was unzipped and successfully installed on laptop. But I am still having same issue, I can connect to internet homepage only but not any other sites. first pic is the error message I am getting when I diagnose connection problems the second picture shows I am connected. I have also tried with ethernet connected straight to laptop and third pic is error message. fourth pic is drivers under device manager.006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG

Darren

Staff member
If you're trying to get on the internet and use it then an XP machine is not going to go well. A lot of websites will straight block you as you're a security threat to them since XP isn't supported by MS and susceptible to virsues and malware a lot more easily.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The drivers remaining are the lan port, modem, and card reader. Do you have any kind of firewall/antivirus software installed? It says you are sending and receiving packets. A firewall could be blocking your traffic.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You'll need someone to diagnose the problem then. But seriously though, you need to get away from XP and get an updated system at least running windows 7.

I guess I will break down and buy a new (used) laptop, as I don't want top spend alot of money. What OS would you recommend as a minimum upgrade?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You should be able to get a windows 7 or 8 machine no problems. Possibly even windows 10. Just don't buy the first thing you see, check specs to make sure it will work for you.