Turn it off or leave it on?

vr2jetta

Should I turn my computer off at night or leave it run? I have heard (somewhere) that leaving it on is better than re-starting it up everyday. I have been leaving it on constantly for the simple fact I dont have to wait for it to start up when I want to use it. Any input would be helpful.

StrangleHold

Staff member
This has been talked about a few times. It really doesnt matter. I have left them on and off. As far as failure rate, there hasnt been any difference.

bomberboysk

I leave mine on, and while it does put more load on hard drives, processors, the capacitors on mainboards and power supplies, havent had any failures between this and the rigs that are only on during the day.

aviation_man

Can you put it to sleep? There's less wait when putting it to sleep.
Although it depends on how fast your hardware is :p
Mine wakes up in about 2 seconds or less..

tremmor

lots of opinions here. maybe your all right. i have several and everybody knows the rules. if you turn it on then it stays on for the day. goes off once a day. always during a storm.

Fatback

VIP Member
I cut mine off every night because I always have and I don't mind waiting for it to boot up. If you just won't boot up to be quicker then just put it to sleep it will only take 10 seconds at most. On my ASUS motherboard I have a thing call Al Nap and I set it so when I push my power button it puts my computer in to sleep.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well you may all laugh at this but....i try to save energy whenever i can....helps with the bills too :p

I turn mine off whenever im not using it,I dont mind waiting for it to boot up either.

only time i leave it on is when its downloading something huge.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I turn mine off during the night, don't see the point of having a computer running and using up electricity. It's like leaving 5 or so 60 watt lightbulbs on with no purpose!

tremmor

leaving the computer on in idle state does not bother me.
Grand kids all over the basement, computer rooms, while on the computer and tv running. lights on everywhere all the time. pretty much a normal in this house.

2048Megabytes

Some processors are 130 Watt like the Intel i7 series. Granted most computers have a sleep (standby) mode which causes the system to go into a low power state. I am guessing most systems in standby mode consume around 60 to 100 Watts per hour but it really does depend on what system you have.

I shut my system down if I am going to be away from it for more than an hour as I hate paying the power bill. I can wait about 75 seconds it takes to start up my computer.

Bodaggit23

I turn all my pc's off at night, and I don't let them run unless I'm using them, or I'm going to be using them.

Moving parts, motors, bearings, etc. will only turn so many times before they fail. Not to mention, the pc sitting there inhaling dust and getting filled with crud.

Do you leave your car running if you're not using it?