Turn it off or leave it on?

linkin

VIP Member
I agree. however, if your computer sounds like a windtunnel and has lights that you can't turn off (like mine...) then i just can't sleep with it on. Mine isn't exactly liud but it's enough to distract me from sleeping.

TFT

VIP Member
Turn it off you power wasting nerds :p

Besides saving on my electric bill I like my privacy. You can delete cookies at the end of the day but the "index.dat" file where all your sites visited is stored will only be deleted on a reboot when using programs like CCleaner, Washer etc.
Some of you guys must have months of history stored in this file :eek:

Bodaggit23

Turn it off you power wasting nerds :p

Besides saving on my electric bill I like my privacy. You can delete cookies at the end of the day but the "index.dat" file where all your sites visited is stored will only be deleted on a reboot when using programs like CCleaner, Washer etc.
Some of you guys must have months of history stored in this file :eek:

Think of the people that don't even have CCleaner. :eek: :D

guimaster

well depends.If your not worried with your bills and don-t mind the (possible) noise then leave it on.If you are worried about the bill and mind the (possible) noise, then turn it off.
I-m taking the *off* side here cause, just like diduknowthat, i think thats just playing energy spender

MengusDew

OK, this thread is exactly what I was looking for but has no specific answer throughout it's replies.

This is my new computer and first build. My case has 4 fans (Coolmaster HAF at default) and I have an after-market CPU Cooling fan (Zalman 9900LED) with an AMD phenom II X4 CPU, WD Velociraptor HDD. One of my case fans, the CPU fan, and also my keyboard has an LED light that stays on. Also, I have an 850W 80 plus Silver certified Corsair PSU.

I had to save up for this system, and it will be my gaming system, all-the-while for multimedia and web surfing. It's super quiet. I'm proud of this PC, and don't wanna have to replace anything on it for a long while. Power bill not being a concern (yet, until I find out the bill), is it really detrimental on my hardware to leave my computer on, and sleeping while it's not being used? Or, should turn it on only when being used? Boot up time being no concern here.

It's only that I have 2 roommates here (with very low comp. intelligence) that I allow to use my comp. (for web browsing and such), so, it's more convenient to leave it on for them, cuz I'm not here a lot. But if it is going to substantially affect my hardware, then I'd rather teach them how to turn it off and boot it up when needed.

Can anyone give me the right choice under this circumstance?

G25r8cer

It is not "hard" on a pc to leave it running. They are built to do this. It IS however hard on the OS. Restarting the pc every once in a while is recommended. It helps keep the OS in tip top shape and it also apply's updates.

linkin

VIP Member
Personally I turn my computer off when i sleep or go out unless i'm downloading/doing updates/defragging etc.

Bodaggit23

I turn all my pc's off at night (put them to sleep), and I don't let them run unless I'm using them, or I'm going to be using them.

Moving parts, motors, bearings, etc. will only turn so many times before they fail. Not to mention, the pc sitting there inhaling dust and getting filled with crud.

If you have two noobs using your computer, this power down or leave it on issue is a pebble at the base of a mountain. :D

bomberboysk

I turn all my pc's off at night (put them to sleep), and I don't let them run unless I'm using them, or I'm going to be using them.

Moving parts, motors, bearings, etc. will only turn so many times before they fail. Not to mention, the pc sitting there inhaling dust and getting filled with crud.

If you have two noobs using your computer, this power down or leave it on issue is a pebble at the base of a mountain. :D
Honestly speaking, the bearings and whatnot inside a computers parts will take more wear from repetitive restart cycles of powering on and off moreso than continuous running in my opinion. I leave my pc on 24/7 but mainly it is because of folding@home.

Renzore101

Some of you guys must have months of history stored in this file

what do i have to hide?

MengusDew

As far as moving parts are concerned, they include fans and HDD. Both of these power down when my computer goes into sleep. I put it in sleep when I'm not using it(for now), so all you have to do is hit any key to wake it up. This brings another question. Is it better to sleep and cut the moving parts down or leave them continuously running and just turn off the monitor? The statement made about the parts having to reset being worse than leaving them on makes me ask this. Also, I have scheduled automatic scans and updates. If my computer is in sleep, will it prevent the scheduled actions from occurring?

MengusDew

Personally I turn my computer off when i sleep or go out unless i'm downloading/doing updates/defragging etc.

This is only what I have heard, and is a factor of my concern, but I've heard that a lot of powering up and down is more stress on the system than leaving it powered up. If I use the computer then shut it down, then a few hours later my roomate powers it up and checks something on the web, then shuts it down, then I come home and power it up and do what I do, then power it down....etc., wouldn't this be worse thanjust leaving on and putting it to sleep when everyone else is?

jackz4000

I know with sound systems/amps and TV's the most dangerous moment is power on and power off, damage to power supply, circuits, but I'm not sure if that does translate to computers? Never though about it but do think it may.

With my 5 year old laptop I had been turning it off whenever I would not be using it for 2 hours or more. Usually I would power on 2-3 times per day thinking I was saving elec or wear and tear.

Recently I have a power on button problem which I would guess is directly related to wear and tear on the power button. With this and my new laptop I think I will restrict myself to power on once a day and keep it in the standby mode when away from it for a few hours.

tremmor

I turned it off once a day for years. if it was turned on it stayed on for the day.

Ive been leaving it on 24/7 for several months now. I do reboot once a day if used a lot just to free up memory and start over.

funkysnair

VIP Member
mine gets turned off every night, not only to save power but to save my componants...

every bit of your pc has its mtbf (hours mean time before failure) i would hate to cut mine short by leaving it on when its not being used!

i have put so much money into my rig if my water pump failed etc i would be gutted

Motorcharge

I turn mine off at night unless I'm leaving downloads running or anything else I'd do AFK, otherwise I don't see any reason to leave it on, just a waste of power and runs my electric bill up. Plus mine is in my bedroom and it's easier to sleep when the whole room isn't glowing blue and it's a lot quieter lol.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

mine gets turned off every night, not only to save power but to save my componants...

every bit of your pc has its mtbf (hours mean time before failure) i would hate to cut mine short by leaving it on when its not being used!

i have put so much money into my rig if my water pump failed etc i would be gutted
Everything i have would usually be replaced before coming close to the MTBF(eg- pumps such as the laign ddc have a 50k hour MTBF, hard drives are even higher usually).