Two hard drives

Pyotr

I've got a 160 Gb Barracuda Seagate, and am thinking about buying a 200-250 Gb HD. Would it matter much which one's primary master and primary slave? :confused:

kingdante87

Nope ... technically they can both be masters or both be slaves (just depends on where you put them on the IDE ribbon)

kof2000

it does if you are running an os off the 160. then primary master on that and slave on the 250.

Mikelb

I would only say it mattered depending upon the hard drive's speed... if one spins at 10,000 RPM and another at 5,400RPM then I'd say make the 10k RPM the primary, also the ATA 100, and the other ATA-133... then use the faster for the OS and the other for just storing data... that way your computer boots faster and programs load quicker...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I would only say it mattered depending upon the hard drive's speed... if one spins at 10,000 RPM and another at 5,400RPM then I'd say make the 10k RPM the primary
Primary and secondary dont matter .... its prolly more effective to make the OS on the 10K drive (yes its a technicality but a someone significant one ;))

Mikelb

true, and in the beginning (after a clean install) it may not even cause a dent in the performance, though once the drives get cluttered the rpm speed matters a lot, also the cache...