Unlock Hyperthreading on i5 ?

Matthew1990

Get a job at Intel, steal the "plans", unlock HT on your i5, and be happy. Relish 2% faster CPU.

Simple version. Got to your BIOS OC it 50MHz more, enjoy more performance increase than HT.

87dtna

Get a job at Intel, steal the "plans", unlock HT on your i5, and be happy. Relish 2% faster CPU.

Simple version. Got to your BIOS OC it 50MHz more, enjoy more performance increase than HT.

Did you completely miss my huge post with benchmark results back there? HT adds 24% increase. The I5 would need to be at probably 3.4-3.6ghz to match the multithreaded performance of an I7 860 at stock 2.8ghz.

Matthew1990

Did you completely miss my huge post with benchmark results back there? HT adds 24% increase. The I5 would need to be at probably 3.4-3.6ghz to match the multithreaded performance of an I7 860 at stock 2.8ghz.

Right ok, but I am 10000% sure that it is impossible to enable it.

87dtna

I agree with that, just pointing out HT does make a significant difference. The I5 750 is a very powerful CPU. I had one at 4.0ghz as a 24/7 overclock and it was a beast, totally overkill for me.

tt2ent

Its not really that I need HT its the idea of getting more out of what you already got. Its about stickn it to the man!... Or somethin like that lol
I wishd I'd known about the xeon x3440 cpu before I built my system a few weeks ago. Its like $220 and its a lynfield w/HT @ a stock speed around 2.33ghz (can't remember exactly) so that's priced in between the i5 and i7 range. It can be oc'd like any other Lynfield. O well...

87dtna

It's 2.53ghz, and it's $240. So it's priced right in between the I5 and I7. So if you are willing to pay $240, it's not that much more for the I7.

If you have a microcenter near you I believe the I7 860 is $230 all the time there. If you don't have one near you, you could find a trusted friend that is near one and get you an I7 860 for $240-250 shipped.

tt2ent

It can be had for as little as $215 but yea.
Alright lets stop wasting energy and time here.
Autobots! ROLL OUT !!

StrangleHold

Staff member
Who knows. AMD claimed the disabled cores were fused/disconnected off. It wasnt untill, I think Biostar screwed up in the ACC setting in the bios and when you enabled it, it activated the cores. Then everybody followed. AMD just went along with it because it cost to much to (really) fuse off deactivated cores/cache.

So who knows if Intel really deactivated it on the core or if when the bios sees the chip it just deactivates through the bios. Even if can be activated I dont think anyone will because Intel is not a go with it like AMD is. Intel can have a heavy hand as everyone knows.

Last edited:

87dtna

Who knows. AMD claimed the disabled cores were fused/disconnected off. It wasnt untill, I think Biostar screwed up in the ACC setting in the bios and when you enabled it, it activated the cores. Then everybody followed. AMD just went along with it because it cost to much to (really) fuse off deactivated cores/cache.

So who knows if Intel really deactivated it on the core or if when the bios sees the chip it just deactivates through the bios. Even if can be activated I dont think anyone will because Intel is not a go with it like AMD is. Intel can have a heavy hand as everyone knows.

Along those lines, perhaps a future chipset will come out on intel boards that will be able to unlock the HT. Before the SB710/750, AMD chips could not unlock. At one point, a 780g and SB700 was the highest there was when Phenom II was originally released. Right now, a P55 is the highest in socket 1156, perhaps something will come out thats newer/better to be able to unlock.

StrangleHold

Staff member
As far as I know, AMD did away with ACC with the 800 series SB. Think a few boards already have a unlocking switch on the board to bypass it or just have a flat out unlock setting in the bios.

tt2ent

@Stranglehold and 87dtna YES!!! exactly ! glad to know some poeple aren't so narrow minded
Its way too common for people to just think "o if it could be done it would have"
ya kno >?

tt2ent

Okay, what you're trying to do is shift into the sixth gear when there IS NO SIXTH GEAR!
After what we all have seen in the industry you think its not a possibility ? Cell phones, cpus, and all kinds of stuff are "handicapped" so that you'll dish out extra cash for the same product.
WHy don't AMD and Intel have there CPU's running all @ the same frequency ? It's likely that its more work to handicap a product than to leave it as it is.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
glad to know some poeple aren't so narrow minded
Its way too common for people to just think "o if it could be done it would have"
I don't suppose you are saying that we are "narrow minded" for thinking there is no way to unlock HT?

Cell phones, cpus, and all kinds of stuff are "handicapped" so that you'll dish out extra cash for the same product.
WHy don't AMD and Intel have there CPU's running all @ the same frequency ? It's likely that its more work to handicap a product than to leave it as it is.
Because some chips have defects and simply aren't of good enough quality. Some chips just aren't capable of certain speeds while staying below reasonable voltage and TDP limits.

Also, marketing. If you have only one product that performs the same, you can't cater for both performance and mainstream (and whatever other extremes/middlegrounds there are).

StrangleHold

Staff member

Like said above. Plus with a wafer of CPUs they end up all over the place. Like a wafer of Phenom II, some will have bad cores, some will have bad cache. Some will clock good but with to much voltage to fit in a wattage envelope. The best ones will usually end up as BE models. And even some will have things disabled to fill supply and demand for a niche.

bomberboysk

As far as I know, AMD did away with ACC with the 800 series SB. Think a few boards already have a unlocking switch on the board to bypass it or just have a flat out unlock setting in the bios.
Asus is the only one with an unlock switch, Asrock has a little chip on some of their boards dedicated to unlocking, Biostar has some form of unlocking, and i cant remember if gigabyte has anything on the 800 SB's.

ScottALot

After what we all have seen in the industry you think its not a possibility ? Cell phones, cpus, and all kinds of stuff are "handicapped" so that you'll dish out extra cash for the same product.

When you unlock an AMD chip, it's possible because there is a chip present. The reason you can't HT an i5 is because that capability does not exist on that chip.

tt2ent

When only 1 out of 7 Lynnfield CPUs doesn't have Hyperthreading it doesn't make you wonder if it's just a marketing technique ??!?! I mean cmon, you think Intel is going to make an entirely different manufacturing process for 1 out of 7 of the same exact hardware ??
EDIT- Excuse me 2 out of 7 have HT disabled. xeon 3430 and the i5 750

Last edited:

tt2ent

Seen a side by side image of the bottom of an i5 750 and i7 870 and they look different.
Not positive it wasn't an 1156 and 1366 though.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
When only 1 out of 7 Lynnfield CPUs doesn't have Hyperthreading it doesn't make you wonder if it's just a marketing technique ??!?!
Of course it's just a marketing technique... you read the posts above? The thing is, whatever parts allow HT to work are most likely physically disabled (laser-cut), so it would be impossible to get them back. The reason it was possible to enable a core on AMD CPUs is because they decided to take the cheaper route and instead of physically disabling the extra core they simply did it in BIOS - and as you know, a BIOS screw-up on certain motherboards allowed enabling the extra core (which didn't always work, since quite a few of them were disable because of defects).