Unlock Hyperthreading on i5 ?

Hyperboholic

The reason it was possible to enable a core on AMD CPUs is because they decided to take the cheaper route and instead of physically disabling the extra core they simply did it in BIOS. QUOTE]

Is it possible that the motherboard BIOS that "see's" the i3/i5/i7 and enables hyperthreading could be patched to enable hyperthreading? Agree'd, the i5 might come physically "maimed" from the factory, but probably not- the dual-core i5 chips are hyperthreading. I see the fix in 2 parts- 1.) Fool the motherboard into activating the hyperthreading 2.) Find out if the i5 is electronically or physically deactivated. Outcome tree... 1.) The motherboard patch unlocks hyperthreading, good to go. 2.) Motherboard patch enables an i5 BIOS patch. 3.) Potentially missing pins on i5 are identified as the culprit. 4.) System bursts into flames. There must be somebody familiar with the motherboard BIOS that can weigh in here...

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
The reason it was possible to enable a core on AMD CPUs is because they decided to take the cheaper route and instead of physically disabling the extra core they simply did it in BIOS. QUOTE]

Is it possible that the motherboard BIOS that "see's" the i3/i5/i7 and enables hyperthreading could be patched to enable hyperthreading? Agree'd, the i5 might come physically "maimed" from the factory. I see the fix in 2 parts- 1.) Fool the motherboard into activating the hyperthreading 2.) Find out if the i5 is electronically or physically deactivated. Outcome tree... 1.) The motherboard patch unlocks hyperthreading, good to go. 2.) Motherboard patch enables an i5 BIOS patch. 3.) Potentially missing pins on i5 are identified as the culprit. 4.) System bursts into flames. There must be somebody familiar with the motherboard BIOS that can weigh in here...

It really makes no difference. When the unlocking was discovered on AMD processors. AMD was going to stop it at first, but backed off. When your the underdog you dont want to piss your customers off.

With Intel, if it (could) be unlocked by a bios setting. Intel would hit the roof. The Motherboard manufacture would probable get a C&D order from Intel with a threat of pulling there license to make Intel chipset boards.