upgrade android

jimtr6

I have an old tablet, a Pandigital 7" with Android 2.3, is it hard or even advisable to update this, I see nowhere in settings where I can, it only states the level and that's it.

Geoff

VIP Member
It would be under settings > about this phone, or something similar as many manufacturers slightly tweak the UI. If it says your software is up to date, then the only way to update it is to try and find a way to root it. Once rooted, there's a good chance there are custom ROMs out with updated version of Android, however if it's really old, chances are no one is actively developing for it.

jimtr6

I downloaded an .apk file called "gingerbreak" and copied it over to the tablet which lets me delve a little bit deeper into the system but still no access into upgrading the newer revisions of Android OS. These are not considered great tablets, it was an inexpensive promotion by Tiger Direct years ago. It looks like for as little as $40 to $60 I could easily far surpass it

Darren

Staff member
Yeah you're going to have more trouble than it's worth for a tablet like that. It probably would run newer versions really sluggishly anyway. If you want a better experience get a better and preferably brand name tablet.

jimtr6

I did load a rom for the pandigital called "ubernova", at this point there is nothing to lose as I'm on the verge of getting a new tablet, anyway it booted and now I get a "parsing error" on several apps. My android version stayed the same at 2.3

Geoff

VIP Member
If it was on 2.3 when you bought it, chances are development has stopped years ago, if there was even a root exploit available.