Upgrading Current Computer

Laquer Head

I assume everything comes with an HDMI now? Guess ill get an adapter.

Thanks guys. Ill probably go with the XFX Radeon due to the mail in rebate unless there is specific reason to go with the GeForce?

Yeah, either of those options has HDMI for ya!!

Either of those cards will satisfy the needs you specified!

kgordon

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead...again. I finally had a chance to install the hardware last night, the office has been under construction while i added a bathroom. I removed and installed the new psu and the card. When i first booted up it did not recognize the card so i shut it off and tried again. Again, nothing so i check pushed all the connections and tried again. I then had a lot of smoke and a bright light (don't think it was a flame) so i immediately unplugged it and it stopped. Turns out the graphics card was not quite seated all the way. Upon further inspection it looks like the mobo has some black spots on the edge near the 24? pin connector. Now when turning on only the fan on the mobo runs and i get a couple beeps like it normally does on startup but thats it. I have tried using both the integrated graphics and the new graphics to get a picture but nothing. I was going to swap the old psu back in to see if that works. Any other ideas?

Laquer Head

I hate to say it but you may have fried your motherboard.. I'll let others chime in but it doesn't sound good to me.

kgordon

Thats what i was afraid of. If that is the case ill probably look to buy a new laptop that can give me more performance but i want to stay under $500.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah sounds like motherboard is fried now. Would suspect video card wasn't fully seated and neither was the main 24 pin power connector.
If that is the case ill probably look to buy a new laptop that can give me more performance but i want to stay under $500.

What kind of games are you gonna play? Easier to game on a desktop then a laptop for the price.

kgordon

Well, i went home and removed the new graphics card and power supply. Reinstalled the old power supply and the computer fires up. I did have one time where i got a blue screen with an error but restarted and it went away. Looks like it might be ok. Tried the new power supply and it does not run. Tried the graphics card with the old power supply (not enough power) and got nothing. So im gonna try to get a new power supply and try it. Does the one i bought ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026) work with the mother board? i want to make sure its totally compatable before i get another.

Yeah sounds like motherboard is fried now. Would suspect video card wasn't fully seated and neither was the main 24 pin power connector.

What kind of games are you gonna play? Easier to game on a desktop then a laptop for the price.

I don't play any new high graphics games, mostly company of heroes and some farm sim type games. Also want to up it a bit for working with my go pro videos.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it will work. Might want to verify the colors of the cable match existing unit pin for pin. Some are known to be pinned differently

kgordon

Well having issues with it shutting off randomly and not turning back on, trying to save stuff off the hard drive but not going well. Think i need to look at a new comp. Just not sure what to choose either desktop or lap top. would prefer under 500

Intel_man

VIP Member
Even if you're not playing the latest and greatest games, don't be surprised to spend around $800 minimum for any half decent laptop that can play any games at decent fps without settings turned all the way down to the ground.

kgordon

I guess i need to know if there is a way to find out if just the motherboard has been damaged. If it is the only problem part is there one on the market that i can swap in with this unit being old? And would that make financial sense?

I would also like to add that the games i currently play are not remotely close to new, probably 3-4 years old so i think alot of laptops out there can run those even on medium settings.

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
Problem is, there's not a lot of laptops out there in the $500 range that have a dedicated video card. And for the ones that do, they're not good.

kgordon

So i am trying to find a replacement for the motherboard as i believe thats the culprit. I checked on the specs which i have a link to from new egg when they sold the computer and i think i found a board that works if someone can verify or link to something else. I think this will be my cheapest way to go.

Link to computer specs :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883114078

Possible Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4S84FD9448

Would the graphics card i bought still offer help with this new mother board? Looks like it still supports just 8gb memory.

Thanks guys/gals

Intel_man

VIP Member
I cannot recommend spending a dime to repair such an old system... it's running on the LGA775 socket ffs! Also, because your existing system appears to be a pre-built system, the replacement motherboard may or may not fit the computer case. You'll also likely run into Windows authentication failure due to a change in the motherboard as Windows OEM keys are typically tied to the mobo serial number.

On top of that, ~$150 on that mobo... is a monumental ripoff.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
About the best you can do is look up your pc model number on ebay for compatible oem motherboard. If not, you are looking at a newish system.