Upgrading from 500gb SSD to 1tb HDD?

savatreatabvr

I just upgraded my HP zbook from 16gb of RAM to 64gb of RAM, that was a major difference in speed but I have a 1tb Seagate HDD I would like to install in my G3 zbook along with the existing 500gb SSD. Both harddrives have Windows 10 Pro installed so my question is, do I have to wipe clean the 1tb Seagate HDD before installing in the zbook? If so, will my zbook recognise it afterwards? I also have a 1tb Seagate SSHD laying around, which one would be the best choice to install, the HDD or SSHD or should I just upgrade the original 500gb SSD to a 1tb or 2tb SSD?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are we talking sata or m2 ssd? Honestly it would be easier to just get bigger boot drive and clone old to new.

beers

Staff member
Things are going to be so slow on the mechanical. Up to you if you want clone it as a replacement or just addition, I'd stick with solid state.

savatreatabvr

The 1tb Seagate HDD is sata, I'm not sure what you mean by "clone it"? My thinking on this was to add the 1tb Seagate HDD or the 1tb Seagate SSHD as an additional drive for more storage simply because they're just collecting dust on my desk. I tried installing both of those drives (seperately) in a asus x75a laptop I have and it just booted to bios but both drives are good with working versions of Windows 10 Pro on them.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
One thing you need to understand is that unless those drives that windows were installed on was inside the machine you are using now, it's not gonna boot to windows due to hardware differences. I won't even use hdd's anymore unless a client needs a huge amount of storage at a cheaper cost. Cloning means you clone the existing hard drive to a bigger one, that way windows doesn't need to be reinstalled and you are only using 1 drive instead of 2. In the end it's up to you what you want to do.

savatreatabvr

I'm now thinking about scraping the HDD idea and just upgrading to a 1tb or 2tb SSD drive will be best. But how do I clone my original 500gb SSD drive to a new 1tb or 2tb SSD drive? Do I need special equipment to do that or a special cable or something?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a dedicated spot for a second drive in the laptop? If not you would have to buy a usb to sata adapter such as this.

You would use a cloning program like Macrium Reflect to do the clone.

savatreatabvr

I do have a dedicated spot to add a sata HDD but I don't think I'm going to use the 1tb sata HDD now. I'm just going to upgrade the existing 500gb SSD to a 1tb or 2tb SSD, that's if I can clone an SSD to an SSD? If not, then I'll probably just wipe clean the 1tb HDD and install it in the dedicated spot?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Does your laptop support M.2 or NVME? If so then you'll need a usb to NVME/M.2 adapter.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Open device manager, expand disk drives, screenshot it and attach it so we can see what drives you have. That should show model numbers of whats currrently installed.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you have a 500gb Samsung NVME drive so if you want to upgrade to a 1tb nvme drive you can do something like one of these.

Crucial - https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PCIe-NAND-NVMe-3500MB/dp/B0B25LZGGW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=LLABAGB74CDS&keywords=1tb+nvme+gen+3&qid=1698875581&s=electronics&sprefix=1tb+nvme,electronics,87&sr=1-3

Western digital - https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digi...ronics&sprefix=1tb+nvme,electronics,87&sr=1-4

I'm not sure where you live but check to see what your local store has in stock and go from there or buy from an online store and have it shipped. You just need a Gen 3 NVME drive.

savatreatabvr

Thank you for the links, the Crucial SSD looks like a good deal but then what do I do with my old 500gb SSD? Can I use both in my zbook?

savatreatabvr

Since theres nothing that special I need to keep from the existing 500gb SSD wouldn't it be simpler to just install a new OS on the new 1tb SSD? Can I do that on a brand new 1tb SSD? I have a Flash Drive with 2 more copies of Windows 10 Pro on it. I bought it to install Windows 10 Pro on my old zbook but when it overheated I pulled out the 1tb Seagate SATA HDD.