Usb 2.0

Metzzen1

didnt know where to put this sorry

Whenever i hook my ipod to my computer it says "you could synch faster if you use a high speed USB 2.0 port" or somethin along those lines, it gives me the option to select one but it says there are no USB 2.0 host controllers on my system

what can i do to use USB 2.0? Do i just need a driver for my motherboard?

mobo: DFI lan party SLI-DR expert
CPU: AMD 3800+ X2 OC 2.4ghz
1gb PQI TURBO pc3200
GPU: geforce 7900GT KO

I dont think any of the other stuff is relevant

mbr2

There are 2 2.0 usb speeds!
usb 2 & usb 2 fast(this one appears as a blue usb symbol on box's)

Metzzen1

I would ask the same question. USB 2.0 has the same port/plug as a normal usb if im not mistaken so why would another card be necessary. I guess ill ask people in the dfi forums about it and see what they have to say

computerhakk

VIP Member
Beyond
Really?!:eek: Well, he obviously dont have 2.0, or else his ipod wouldn't be giving him that message.

Metzzen1
If you have 2.0, you ipod wouldn't be giving you that error. Yeah the ports look identical.. you have to look at the specs to know if it's 2.0 or 1.1.

jimmymac

VIP Member
curious thing is look at his mobo, DFI Lan PArty SLI-DR expert, surely that has 6 USB 2 ports as standard on the rear and the option of plugging an expansion port in for more usb.

Correct me if im wrong of course

mrjack

VIP Member
Found on DFI's homepage.

Rear Panel I/O Ports
# 1 mini-DIN-6 PS/2 mouse port
# 1 mini-DIN-6 PS/2 keyboard port
# 2 S/PDIF RCA jacks (S/PDIF-in and S/PDIF-out)
# Karajan audio module (6 audio jacks)
# 1 IEEE 1394 port
# 2 RJ45 LAN ports
# 6 USB 2.0/1.1 ports

Beyond

computerhakk said:
Beyond
Really?!:eek: Well, he obviously dont have 2.0, or else his ipod wouldn't be giving him that message.

Ever stop to think that it could be driver issues?

Geoff

VIP Member
computerhakk said:
Nope. USB dont usually have drivers. It's usually plug and play in XP. Either 1.1 or 2.0.
Im sorry to say, but he is right. His motherboard does have USB 2.0. Every single desktop motherboard produced in the past few years has USB 2.0 ports (if you can find a dekstop motherboard without them, let me know).

As for the message he's getting, it could be that his iPod software/drivers could be somehow reporting that its not USB 2.0, when in fact it is.

Beyond

computerhakk said:
Nope. USB dont usually have drivers. It's usually plug and play in XP. Either 1.1 or 2.0.

Okay, well do something for me.

Go to google.

Type in DFI lan party SLI-DR expert usb 2.0

First result highlights "... Onboard USB, 4x USB 2.0"

Hmm. Explain this?

34erd

Ok, here's your problem: Did you install the included USB 2.0 drivers? On DFI boards they include these for pre-XP operating systems. If you install these on XP, however, the ports usualy end up being stuck at USB 1.1. Google the issue, it's pretty tough to fix from what I've heard :(

Clutch

banned
computerhakk said:
You just dont have a 2.0 usb. You will just need a 2.0 compatible usb. So in this case.. probably a new usb card.
So a high end DFI Lanparty SLI-DR Expert motherboard with an nForce 4 SLI chipset doesn't have USB 2.0, meanwhile my old Gigabyte GA-7VAX with a KT400 chipset does? Pfft, I never knew DFI was skimping out on USB 2.0 support.
computerhakk said:
That's interesting, considering that I had to install the chipset drivers on every relatively new motherboard that I've had to enable USB 2.0 support, or else it would revert to 1.1 speeds.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
He needs to make sure that usb hi speed is enabled in the bios. Also check your device manager under usb controllers and if there isn't a item labeled enhanced host controller then either its not enabled in bios or he needs a driver supplied by the manufacturer. Just the other day I worked on one that had SP2 installed but no usb 2.0 showed up. I had to install the driver from the manufacturer before it would work.

34erd

johnb35 said:
He needs to make sure that usb hi speed is enabled in the bios. Also check your device manager under usb controllers and if there isn't a item labeled enhanced host controller then either its not enabled in bios or he needs a driver supplied by the manufacturer. Just the other day I worked on one that had SP2 installed but no usb 2.0 showed up. I had to install the driver from the manufacturer before it would work.
If you are running SP2, and USB 2.0 is enabled in the BIOS, then chances are you installed the manufacturer USB 2.0 drivers. Which, as I said before, really messes things up on these DFI boards.

When you go into the device manager under the USB section, do you see a device called "standard openHCD USB host controller" or something like that? If so, there's your problem.

EDIT: This post is refering to you Metzzen1, I was just quoting johnb35.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
it wasn't a dfi board, it was biostar i believe. but it could be his problem as well. sometimes boards are screwy. I built 2 computers with the same motherboard. on one, i had to install the sata driver, on the other i didn't. it recognized it without it. I thought that was quite weird being the same board. it was a gigabyte board. I was just giving the poster some options to check, who knows what the problem is.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
i know it is, but you were referring to my post about the computer i worked on :) at least i thought you were.

34erd

Oops. I didn't realize I was being unspecific to who I was referring to, post deleted. By the way I was refering that post to Metzzen1 even though I was quoting you :eek:

Yeah, the DFI boards are the only one's I've seen with that problem.

P11

VIP Member
The solution is in your BIOS. Go into the USB subsection and look for USB speed I believe there is an option for HISpeed and FullSpeed along with some other 1.1/2.0 settings.
*The correct option is HiSpeed for 480Mbits/second.(USB 2.0)

Last edited: