USB 3.0 New Technology (up to 4.8 gigabits per second)

2048Megabytes

Found this information about USB 3.0:

No doubt you’re familiar with the Universal Serial Bus – we ranked it as our top PC innovation of all time. But what do you know about the next version of this ubiquitous interface? USB 2.0 (otherwise known as USB Hi-Speed) boosted the original USB 1.1 12 mega bits per second (Mbps) data rate to 480Mbps over eight years ago, and now USB 3.0 (dubbed USB Superspeed) is set to multiply that bandwidth tenfold. Intel released the Extensible Host Controller Interface to hardware partners last week after some reported disputes with AMD and Nvidia (who, afraid Intel would have a jump start in incorporating the tech in chipsets, threatened to develop their own USB standard). But how does this affect you? We dug up some new information about USB 3.0, got our hands on the new connectors, and even took a look inside the new cables.

USB 3.0 will be backwards-compatible with USB 2.0. Like the upgrade from USB 1.1 to 2.0, the new 3.0 connectors and cables will be physically and functionally compatible with hardware from the older specifications. Of course, you won’t be able to maximize your bandwidth unless you’re using a USB 3.0 cable with Superspeed devices and ports, but at least plugging a 3.0 cable into a 2.0 port won’t blow up your PC. The spec’s compatibility lies in the design of the new connectors. USB 2.0 cables worked off of four lines – a pair for in/out data transfer, one line for power, and the last for grounding. USB 3.0 adds five new lines (the cable is noticeably thicker), but the new contacts sit parallel to the old ones on a different plane, as opposed to being adjacent to them. This means you’ll be able to differentiate between 2.0 and 3.0 cables just by looking at the ends.

Read the rest at this website:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fe..._about_usb_30_plus_first_spliced_cable_photos

Respital

Thanks, i heard someone say something about this.

Looks like i'm going to build a new computer with USB 3.0 now. :p

2048Megabytes

It takes a little while to upload stuff to my USB flash drives and external hard drive but I don't care. USB 2.0 transfer rates aren't highly annoying to me. Nice to know when I get a new computer around 2012 what new technology will be waiting for me.

Respital

It takes a little while to upload stuff to my USB flash drives and external hard drive but I don't care. USB 2.0 transfer rates aren't highly annoying to me. Nice to know when I get a new computer around 2012 what new technology will be waiting for me.

It's probably not even USB 2.0 limiting you there... if i'm correct there is no such device that maxes out USB2.0 besides your processor would hit it's limit soon too.

2012? Seems like long to wait. :p

2048Megabytes

no flash drive or hard drive can write anywhere near 4.8gb/s tho, so idk what the point is

I think my USB 2.0 flash drive transfers data about 1 to 4 megabytes per second (8 to 16 megabits per second).

I wonder what USB 3.0 devices would transfer data at?

Last edited:

Respital

You are right there. I think my flash drive transfers data about 1 to 2 megabytes per second (8 to 16 megabits per second).

I wonder what USB 3.0 devices would transfer data at? 10 to 20 megabytes per second?

Depends on the device.

My flash drive currently writes at 24-25mb/s and reads at 34-35mb/s. :D

2048Megabytes

reminds me of my uncle who said no one would ever be able to fill a 20mb hard drive

Shoot, I only have about 140 gigabytes of hard drive space and most of it is empty. I don't know what do to do with it. (Of course that is a lot more storage space than 20 megabytes.)

Cleric7x9

I think my USB 2.0 flash drive transfers data about 1 to 4 megabytes per second (8 to 16 megabits per second).

I wonder what USB 3.0 devices would transfer data at?

Depends on the device.

My flash drive currently writes at 24-25mb/s and reads at 34-35mb/s. :D

your speeds are being limited by the flash memory, not the USB bandwidth...USB 2.0 is 480mb/s

reminds me of my uncle who said no one would ever be able to fill a 20mb hard drive

true, maybe i should not have said "ever" but the capacity of USB 2.0 is barely touched right now...

2048Megabytes

2012? Seems like long to wait. :p

I don't like wasting my money on computer upgrades continually. Hopefully I will be able to upgrade my processor to a Quad-Core Phenom in about three years and have that be adequate to carry me thru another few years.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member

Not sure if that's a joke, but...let's just hope not:)

In the sad realization that it's *not* a joke, go to your local movie rental store and rent Terminator and Terminator 2:Judgement Day.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
no flash drive or hard drive can write anywhere near 4.8gb/s tho, so idk what the point is
Well, currently the USB2.0 standard is a bottleneck, especially when all devices connected to a controller share all the bandwidth. So, if you have heaps of USB devices plugged in, existing USB standard will bottleneck flash drives -and even ordinary hard drives- pretty bad... plus, camcorders & stuff can really use the bandwidth, so...

Cleric7x9

I don't like wasting my money on computer upgrades continually. Hopefully I will be able to upgrade my processor to a Quad-Core Phenom in about three years and have that be adequate to carry me thru another few years.

in about three years you will be able to get a phenom for $30 and it will barely be worth it

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if that's a joke, but...let's just hope not:)

In the sad realization that it's *not* a joke, go to your local movie rental store and rent Terminator and Terminator 2:Judgement Day.

Or just watch the Sarah Connor Chronicles on TV....