USB 3.0 New Technology (up to 4.8 gigabits per second)

2048Megabytes

in about three years you will be able to get a phenom for $30 and it will barely be worth it

You are likely right. When I upgrade again I will likely just get a whole new motherboard, processor, RAM and a new hard drive.

Hopefully my hardware has far out paced the software I use so I won't need to upgrade anything until after May 2012. I don't run the latest video games so I don't stress about the performance of the latest hardware.

tlarkin

VIP Member
USB is burst speed, so its not constant. You will never get full bandwidth with USB, but it will occasionally spike to the max data throughput on a good day.

Results will vary.

Firewire, on the other hand, is a constant speed. So it is allways 400/800 mbit per a second. Just like SATA is a constant speed.

2048Megabytes

I just transferred 211 megabytes of data to my USB 2.0 flash drive.

It transferred the data at 2.705 megabytes per second (21.64 megabits per second). As others pointed out earlier in this thread, that is quite far from the advertised 480 megabits per second data transfer rate (about 22 times slower).

Calibretto

VIP Member
I just transferred 211 megabytes of data to my USB 2.0 flash drive.

It transferred the data at 2.705 megabytes per second (21.64 megabits per second). As others pointed out earlier in this thread, that is quite far from the advertised 480 megabits per second data transfer rate (about 22 times slower).

Again, it depends on the flash drive. Some transfer faster than others.

2048Megabytes

Again, it depends on the flash drive. Some transfer faster than others.

Just played with one of my other flash drives.

The same 211 megabyte file of data transferred at 4.13 megabytes per second (33.09 megabits per second). That is a 52% faster transfer rate than my other flash drive.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I heard, as flash drives age, they get slower, but generally all/any solid-state drives are a lot faster than mechanical HDs (granted they're usually slower at burst transfers). It's almost always the USB link that's bottlenecking.

jamesd1981

i cant wait for usb 3 think it will be great but i did read although usb 3 is coming in just now in terms of hardware that you wont get the best from it for a year or two until the chipset makers catchup.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
On the front of one of my pc magazines it says that currently only Linux is capable of running USB 3.0 transfer speeds? Dont know how true this is though.