usb soundcard via hdmi?

golden member

I connect PC and TV with hdmi cable(hdmi port of graphics card to hdmi port of TV).

Now I got a usb soundcard. Is it possible to use it via hdmi?

Geoff

VIP Member
The HDMI port on your graphics card should have built-in audio, as HDMI is both video and audio. Check your sound preferences to use the HDMI out as the audio destination.

beers

Staff member
What are you trying to accomplish?
How would you expect to use a USB sound card over HDMI?

If you wanted to use the sound card instead of HDMI audio you would have a separate audio connection to the TV and would have to change the audio output within your mixer on Windows.

golden member

What are you trying to accomplish?
How would you expect to use a USB sound card over HDMI?

If you wanted to use the sound card instead of HDMI audio you would have a separate audio connection to the TV and would have to change the audio output within your mixer on Windows.

The question is if theres any way to use a usb soundcard via hdmi cable.
The hdmi cable transfers the sound of onboard or of an internal soundcard?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If your video card has an hdmi port then the video card has its own audio hardware for sound. If you look in device manager under sound you will see. So if you want sound then it would be either on board sound through your sspeakers or the hdmi cable and you would hear sound from the tv.

golden member

If your video card has an hdmi port then the video card has its own audio hardware for sound. If you look in device manager under sound you will see. So if you want sound then it would be either on board sound through your sspeakers or the hdmi cable and you would hear sound from the tv.

As I said in first post, I connect PC and TV with hdmi cable(hdmi port of graphics card to hdmi port of TV). Speakers are the TV's speakers.
So you tell me that the video card (AMD HD 4650) has its own sound card?...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Look in device manager under sound and see if there is an entry called ati/amd high definition audio. There should be.

golden member

Look in device manager under sound and see if there is an entry called ati/amd high definition audio. There should be.

Yes there is, but plz answer my questions.
Has the amd card its own soundcard?
Suppose I have a pci soundcard, how could I use it via hdmi?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the video card has its own sound hardware. Thats how you can use the hdmi for sound from it. Why would you want to use a usb soundcard when you already have access to 2 different ones. onboard and through video card.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yes there is, but plz answer my questions.
Has the amd card its own soundcard?
Suppose I have a pci soundcard, how could I use it via hdmi?
It's not that hard to understand...

Your video card has it's own audio processor onboard, which is used for HDMI audio. It does not use onboard audio. There is no way to use a different sound card with your video card HDMI output, you'd have to run a separate audio cable from your new sound card. Why do you even want to do this?

golden member

Yes, the video card has its own sound hardware. Thats how you can use the hdmi for sound from it.

Suppose I want to use my onboard soundcard, or a pci soundcard.
How can I do that via hdmi?

What quality is the soundcard of AMD HD 6450?
All AMD's graphics cards have soundcards of the same quality?

Why would you want to use a usb soundcard when you already have access to 2 different ones. onboard and through video card.

3 different ones. Theres also a pci one.
The point is not why I want use this or that soundcard, the point is how to do it. So I repeat my question, is it possible to use a usb soundcard via hdmi cable?

Geoff

VIP Member
Suppose I want to use my onboard soundcard, or a pci soundcard.
How can I do that via hdmi?

What quality is the soundcard of AMD HD 6450?
All AMD's graphics cards have soundcards of the same quality?

3 different ones. Theres also a pci one.
The point is not why I want use this or that soundcard, the point is how to do it. So I repeat my question, is it possible to use a usb soundcard via hdmi cable?
You. Can't. Period. It's like trying to use a dedicated sound card when your speakers are plugged into the onboard port.

The sound quality is fine. Digital audio sent over HDMI or optical is usually processed by the end device anyways, like your TV or amplifier, so that makes a bigger difference than the sound card itself, at least as far as digital output goes.

If you really want to use a different sound card, use HDMI solely for video and optical for audio.

golden member

You. Can't. Period. It's like trying to use a dedicated sound card when your speakers are plugged into the onboard port.

Now I had a clear answer, so I cant use a usb soundcard via an hdmi cable.
But can I use an onboard soundcard, or a pci one, via an hdmi cable?

The sound quality is fine.

Is it similar to a Creative soundcard?

If you really want to use a different sound card, use HDMI solely for video and optical for audio.

Plz try focus in my questions, dont suggest me things I do no ask.

Geoff

VIP Member
Now I had a clear answer, so I cant use a usb soundcard via an hdmi cable.
But can I use an onboard soundcardm, or a pci one, via an hdmi cable?

Is it similar to a Creative soundcard?

Plz try focus in my questions, dont suggest me things I do no ask.
You can use onboard or a dedicated sound card via HDMI if that device has an HDMI port. You can't use them with the HDMI port on your dedicated video card.

Creative makes many different sound cards, some worse than onboard and many better. Which one?

From your post it seems like you want to use your video card for video, and your sound card for sound. I was simply telling you how to accomplish this.

golden member

You can use onboard or a dedicated sound card via HDMI if that device has an HDMI port. You can't use them with the HDMI port on your dedicated video card.

"Dedicated" means not mobo's, right?
So now I have a clean picture. With an hdmi cable connected in the graphics card I can only use the graphic card's soundcard. Nothing else.

Creative makes many different sound cards, some worse than onboard and many better. Which one?

Hehe, thats what you will say.
Which creative models the AMD HD cards are similar with?

From your post it seems like you want to use your video card for video, and your sound card for sound. I was simply telling you how to accomplish this.

My post says how/if an hdmi cable can use a usb soundcard, and furthermore an onboard or a pci one.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
"Dedicated" means not mobo's, right?
So now I have a clean picture. With an hdmi cable connected in the graphics card I can only use the graphic card's soundcard. Nothing else.

You're clearly not paying attention to what is being said, so read my post and understand.

Yes. Dedicated is just what it sounds like. It's not built into anything else.

Example: Your motherboard does not come with onboard video. You need to get a video card. The device is "dedicated" to video output. Got it?

My post says how/if an hdmi cable can use a usb soundcard, and furthermore an onboard or a pci one.

No. You can't run another sound card through HDMI. You'd need to run a separate cable (Optical, 3.5mm, whatever).

If you don't want to use the audio processor put out thorugh HDMI, then you need to run a separate cable from whatever you want to run it out of, to wherever you want to run it into. You then go in your sound properties in Windows and change the default audio device to output audio out of whichever device you want.

Though I cannot understand why the hell you'd want to use something other than HDMI in an HDMI situation. That's your choice to be moronic.

Last edited:

golden member

You're clearly not paying attention to what is being said, so read my post and understand.

Yes. Dedicated is just what it sounds like. It's not built into anything else.

Example: Your motherboard does not come with onboard video. You need to get a video card. The device is "dedicated" to video output. Got it?

Where exactly I m not paying attention? So far I m who repeat many times my questions.

I do not know what "dedicated" exactly means, english is not my primary language. Plz exclude this term from your future posts in this thread.

No. You can't run another sound card through HDMI.

I thought we resolved that. I can only use the graphics card internal soundcard.
All AMD HD cards have the same quality in their internal soundcards?
Is this soundcard better than my mobo's one(Gigabyte ga 970a ud3) ?

If you don't want to use the audio processor put out thorugh HDMI, then you need to run a separate cable from whatever you want to run it out of, to wherever you want to run it into. You then go in your sound properties in Windows and change the default audio device to output audio out of whichever device you want.

Though I cannot understand why the hell you'd want to use something other than HDMI in an HDMI situation. That's your choice to be moronic.

These are offtopic.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Yeah tell a mod stuff is off topic, that will get you places.

The HDMI audio from the AMD card is fine. The onboard audio from the motherboard is fine. The dedicated (means its only purpose is to be a sound card) audio is fine. Pick one and do it. HDMI audio quality is as much as you'll ever need and most likely the easiest.