Very frequent Blue Screens on Vista, please help.

Logon255

I recently bought a FX8040 Gateway Desktop.
On the first two weeks or so, I almost constantly had a graphic intensive game running on the computer, with maybe a few restarts now and then.

Back then I had about two Blue Screens/Memory dumps in the two weeks.

Now I get it so frequently it's almost impossible to do anything straight for a few hours.

I get it about once in 2-4 hours and still all four fans seem to be working.
I have four fans (From what I can see) One in the front, one in the back, one for the power, and one for the Video card. All of them seem to be working fine.

If you're going to ask for something that appears on the blue screen during the memory dumps, I have no idea how to freeze the screen and it lasts for about 1-2 seconds so I have no way (That I know of) to copy it down.

Any reply would be very helpful as this is beginning to annoy me a lot >_>
Thanks.

Edit: from what I know so far, overheating can cause memory dumps. What other things can cause them?

hermeslyre

VIP Member
To get the BSOD to stay on the screen so you can write down the stop error right click My Computer, properties, advanced tab, startup and recovery settings, and untick automatically restart. Send the stop error our way! :)

Last edited:

paratwa

To get the BSOD to stay on the screen so you can write down the stop error right click My Computer, properties, advanced tab, startup and recovery settings, and untick automatically restart. Send the stop error our way! :)

Excellent suggestion, that error code is very important.

Impulse666

reboot into safe mode w/ command prompt. type
Code:
chkdsk /r
edit: if theres a windows boot or crash problem that will fix it.

Last edited:

paratwa

The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

paratwa

I would try removing devices and running windows for a while and see if it your problem goes away, if not replace the device and try another.

Also see if they have any updated drivers for your mouse for vista. Or let windows use a generic driver for it.

Impulse666

just go into device manager (right click my computer, manage) and uninstall the network driver. FIRST though make sure you have downloaded the new driver from at least 2 sources because one of them is bound not to work and if you dont have a network driver you cant download another one :D unless of course you have another computer at which you could try a few. drivergenius and everest are programs that can determine your hardware and give you links to where you can download drivers from. gateway will likely have your driver on their site so look their first after putting in your computer model.

edit: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/dlcenter.asp enter your serial number and go to drivers and downloads. then network drivers. download and run. gateway drivers have been tricky for me in the past, so read the README file that comes with the driver. that ought to do it for you.

Last edited: