very very slow

holdenssx

After you check your temperatures, open the task manager and see what processes are using your CPU
To do this:
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete
Go to the Processes tab
Under the CPU column are there any programs that are using a lot of CPU(25-99)?
If so, repost with the processes that are using alot of CPU.

before checking for the paste, the temperatures were, around 48 for the processor. and around 30 for the other fans...now, well now i know something's wrong...it's around 100!(C!!!), so i've shut it down real quick...
and the same for the other fans
please help i DONT want CPU to be DONE
as for the Processes, nothing out of the ordinery...

b3rt_d4ni3l

judging from the before-and-after temperature, seems like when you installed back the heatsink, it was done incorrectly...
make sure that the heatsink is placed firmly

now that i've checked the heat...here it is
52 -ish for the processor
38 -ish
42 -ish for the fans

the comp is still slow and has a slow startup...
like i said a installed a new windows on a formatted drive

here is the log from hijackthis

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:08:21 PM, on 5/3/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
D:\My Downloads\Programs\hijackthis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.tintin.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelAudioStudio] "C:\Program Files\Intel Audio Studio\\INTELAUDIOSTUDIO.EXE" TRAY
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O9 - Extra button: ICQ Lite - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ Lite - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll

Last edited:

PabloTeK

If you removed the heatsink from the CPU then there's your problem, you have destroyed the bonds between the heatsink paste on the CPU and on the heatsink. The only way to help remedy this is to get some after market paste such as Arctic Silver 5. When applying it only use the amount roughly equivalent to a grain of rice and spread it evenly and thinly over the CPU. Then run the PC for 4 hours and then leave it off overnight for the paste to set properly.

i ran a scan with NOD32 and no thearts were found.
as for the paste do you think it'll be wiser just to buy a new heatsink and fan?
it's not that much, and if you think that's the problem then i'll buy a new one and get it over with

b3rt_d4ni3l

what you need to do is not buy another heatsink+fan but rather re-apply the thermal paste.

clean off the thermal paste that you have right now using rubbing alcohol and wipe it off using a lint-free cloth (like those for your eye-glasses). After that, apply Arctic Silver 5 and follow the guide written by GCR.

make sure that the heatsink+fan is firmly attached to the motherboard and not slanted before you turn on your computer.

Vipernitrox

if you want to really clean out your computer from spyware and other crap try this. Configure it first. Try a look around in the options and turn on and of what you want. Then run it (takes about an hour and a half). But it uses a couple of different spyware and virus removal tools (a rootkit remover to if i remember correctly). I love the program run it every now and then.

is it easy to find this Arctic Silver 5, cuz i know it's alot more easy to find a heatsink+fan, 2-3 hours and it's here...but u say this Arctic Silver 5 will do?
how much do you think it'll coast?

b3rt_d4ni3l

well, Arctic Silver 5 is usually the commonly used thermal paste (most popular, not sure if it is the best).

if you are in US, you can get in www.newegg.com for USD 5.99

if you are in Canada, try www.tigerdirect.com

if you are in UK, try www.ebuyer.co.uk (not sure about this one)

and also many other online stores which i don't know of.
supposedly, your local should have one or two of this in stock. not sure though best is check with your local computer shop.

thx a lot!
i'll check it out,but if they dont have it, your sure a new heatsink\fan will do the job

b3rt_d4ni3l

your heatsink+fan is not the problem, its the thermal paste...
without the thermal paste your brand new heatsink+fan won't do you any good...
even if you buy the most expensive heatsink+fan in the world

as people have been saying, thermal paste is what connects and transfers the heat from your processor to the heatsink pipes. without the paste, the heat will not transfer and hence will cause an overheating problem in your processor.

Arctic Silver 5 is considered good because it has a high silver content which good for heat transfer. If you cannot find it in your local store, you could probably be ok if you buy one that has a really high silver content (like 90%-95%, not sure how high is the silver content in AS5)

yeah a got that, i just thought that if i'll buy a new heatsink+fan i'll get with it some paste, since i didnt see any not on the CPU nor on the heatsink+fan, and i really do think it'll be a problem to find this patse...

b3rt_d4ni3l

what is the temp now?

if its still quite high, i guess your next course of action is get a AS5 online if your local comp store don't have it. It is better than getting a new heatsink IMO.

after everything is done and your comp is still slow, try running CCleaner to clean up the registry for unnecessary entries... (im not sure whether you ahve tried this)

i'm gonna (try) get this paste though i'm not so optimistic about findin'
i'll let yall know
thx everyone