Video Card compare thread???

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As I don't recall us having a thread like this. Would anyone be willing to create a thread where it shows like the ATI HD5770 is compared to whatever card in the Nvidia line? Maybe make it like a tech guide possibly? I really think this is needed as I know I needed to know what was comparable to the 5770 within the last week.

You wouldn't have to get too much into the older cards. I would say a few of todays integrated video chipsets as well as going no lower then say x300 for ATI and 6000 series for Nvidia.

What does everyone else think about this.

Last edited:

Rocko

I really like this idea, and I would not mind taking a stab at it. I know I don't have many posts or too much history here, but I am bored and would like to do some research.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Take a stab at it. I'm sure one of our Moderators (Bomberboysk) or VIP's (Stranglehold) would look it over for review before we make it official.

Or maybe find another person to go in together on it.

Any other ideas to add to it?

Benny Boy

Not a bad idea imo. Perhaps a section for igps, then group cards in pairs by similar peformance. But not each card model. Paired by the performace boost, like start with 5670/nvidia (or lower), then 5770/nvidia, and so on. There may 12 or so pairs this way.

Rocko

Could make a section for safe overclocks for each card, add price points (usually looking for an equivalent card means shopping for the best value), add "mobility" GPU's to the mix, go over common graphics card interfaces.

Edit: could touch on xfire/sli

Starting the draft now!

Last edited:

Russ88765

Why not update the info in the Video Card 101 sticky? Maybe put newer card models into it or something? Might reduce the number of similarly natured threads and help get answers to those who need them faster. If you did make a "gpu encyclopedia" though, would you have to be an approved guide writer to do it? My favorite subject is video cards, if I could i'd talk about them all day. Imo it would be a great honor to write one.

Last edited:

Rocko

Why not update the info in the Video Card 101 sticky? Maybe put newer card models into it or something? Might reduce the number of similarly natured threads and help get answers to those who need them faster. If you did make a "gpu encyclopedia" though, would you have to be an approved guide writer to do it? My favorite subject is video cards, if I could i'd talk about them all day. Imo it would be a great honor to write one.

Guide writers have to start somewhere, I minds well take a shot at it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Bumping this up again since this still isn't done. We really need someone to post up a video card comparison thread for users who want to know what card to get. We just need comparison between Nvidia and AMD cards. I would say start at the 400 series cards for Nvidia and go up and then the 5000 series cards for AMD. You can go lower if you wish but I'm more concerned with the latest cards.

Any takers?????

I may even honor VIP status to the one that completes this.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Good list and goes back way further than the 400 series. Might'a been smart to just copy and paste it and say i did it :p

Need the person to actually do some legwork and make sure its correct. Can't just copy and paste. Because when its done, I'm gonna have someone make sure its correct.

on it. You just need a What GPU Guide, correct?

Basically stating for example the 560ti is comparable to the 6870. I don't want it copied off a website. Put some good hard work into it. I mean we have some smart users here. We don't have anything like this yet and look how many new members ask this question when we can just refer them to our guide.

wolfeking

banned
I did not mean just 560 is lower than 6870. More as in, what it is, why you need it, how it works, and finally, what you need for different situations.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that would be great. Another thing you may want to incorporate is what psu would be needed. You can take the info from Linkins psu guide if you wish or be creative.