Virtual Memory Question

struby

Ok, I don't know too much about computers, which may become fairly apparent when I ask this question,
Is it possible to and/or how would I increase my virtual memory on a computer so I can install more things?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
By default, I beleive it's set to allow windows to manage the amout you have... It's best to leave it like this for the most part because you don't want to set it to too little. Too much would just be a waste.

See, the problem with virtual memory is that it's so slow. RAM is MANY times faster than harddrives. Even setups like mine, there's no way for the harddrive to match the speed of the RAM.

So baslically, I think your system would adjust itself to as much as you need. I think most computers can make due with only 128M, but you will find some pretty crappy performace. I mean the less RAM you have, the harddrive has to work overtime, keeping up with loading things AND anything stored on it for RAM.

--edit--
I took it more as running more things. Heh, you will have less storage space if you take it up as virtual memory.

struby

Again I am new, and thank you for the replies, but I got this other old computer and threw 2 ram chips from that in the computer, and when I try to install the expansion for a game is says I need a certain amount of...i think it says virtual memory and I don't have enough...I just don't understand how it works and how to get the game on the computer I suppose. The game without the expansion fits and plays on the computer.

SickSixx6

Well in the old Windows OSs, you can change the virtual memory size yourself.

Is the game and the expansion installed??

struby

No, only the game fits, it is Diablo II, the expansion won't fit.
When I right click my computer and try to increase my virtual memory it won't go up any higher. I think this computer has windows 95.

SickSixx6

I still fail to see the connection between lack of hard drive space to install an expansion and virtual memory...Perhaps I am just reading this whole thing incorrectly

struby

Okay I will say it all so you don't have to connect my posts, sorry about that:
Here it goes:

I installed Diablo II and I have cleared some stuff off of the computer
I then tried to install the expansion, Diablo II: Lord Of Destruction, which takes roughly 900 mb of...something, the non-expansion takes about 800 or 850 or something around there.
After installing the non-expansion I now only have 209 mb of virtual memory left and when I try to install the expansion it says I only have that much and the games takes a larger number and do I want to proceed anyway, then part way throught the installation stops I think last time I tried it and I just am trying to find out how I can get the expansion onto the computer.

SickSixx6

I think you are confusing virtual memory and available disk space. Installing programs would have no effect on virtual memory as far as after installation. Virtual memory is like RAM, except it is dynamically sizable and party of the hard drive. So after you intall Diablo, assuming you aren't running anything different, your virtual memory size should be no different...

struby

It seems as though u know more than me, but it says I need more virtual memory... would the fact that this is a decently old compaq with a pentium pro in it matter? If there is no connection then why can't I install it, because I at least understand that I seem to be out of room?

SickSixx6

I honestly do not know...perhaps the expansion takes up so much space on the harddrive that its reducing your virtual memory to a point where the game won't run.

struby

Why can't I increase my virtual memory like it seams people say I can, I just don't understand why the game won't fit.
The back of the case says the expansion needs 800 mb available hard drive space, not virtual memory, so maybe my virtual memory is using my whole hard drive, is that possible, and if so how can I give my computer for hard drive space, is this not possible?

struby

ok I will, please check back soon.
wait, where is a good uploading place, I don't know of one anymore?
should I just type u up the message?

struby

ok...so it actually doesn't say virtual memory, but i think I had a bunch of virtual memory until I installed the non-expansion game, then I have like 209 left.
The error message says:

Setup requires at least 800 megabytes of free disk space to complete the installation. The C drive only has 204 megabytes of free disk space left.

Please select a different drive for installation, or free 595 megabytes on your C drive and run setup again.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Ah this is a low disk space warning, your hard drive is too full. Either delete and/or uninstall some stuff or get another hard drive.

SickSixx6

That's what I figured. That simply means your hard drive does not contain enough space for the expansion. Delete/unistall some programs if you can.