Virtual Memory Question

struby

I have already done some deleting, i think my whole disk only have like in the 1600's worth of mb of space. Together they take about 1750 mb I think, so I guess it is not possible unless I get a new hard drive... :( how much are they, where can I get one big enough for cheap...how do I install it :( ?

struby

And by the way, sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the help everyone.
edit: those numbers are for multiplayer online installation, otherwise it may fit, but I would like to have multiplayer online fit.

SickSixx6

No problem. I figured you were talking about disk space.

Just like Crom said, any stor will have them. However, check pricewatch.com. Very good prices

struby

Do I need a bunch of other stuff besides the hard drive to install it, and do you know of anywhere I could just get an older hard drive that would give me enough or plenty of memory and still be able to be installed but be cheaper?

struby

on that pricewatch.com site, I dunno what those words next to the prices mean, my computer is a compaq with a pentium pro and like 104 mb of rams (with like 6 chips) I also have a fairly new dell.

SickSixx6

If you have an extra channel on your HDD controller, then all you would have to do is pop it in a set it up. BAM you have more room.

BTW...the linked hard drive is SCSI and will not work for you. Look for IDE or EIDE or ATA

struby

Ok thanks, so I can get any of those three kind right, does it need to be for a compaq?
if I don't have an open slot should I take out the old hard drive, and is setup just a prompt on my screen or something?
Will I need to reinstall windows and stuff?

SickSixx6

If you ditch your old harddrive - yes. You will be starting blank.
As for being for a Compaq computer, I am not sure. I know they are known for using proprietary equipment. Maybe someone else could chime in on this.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
LOL...that site spares nothing when it comes to upgrading. I don't recal ever needing that many steps. HA.
But many steps is good for a beginner. Your computer will take any drive with the right interface (ATA133/100/66/33 often called IDE)

struby

will any hard drive that fits work?
I got one out of the computer I got the RAM chips out of.
If this has an extra slot will that work if it fits?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
if the plugs fit it will work. be sure to set the jumpers properly, there should be a label on the hard drive as to how to do this.

struby

Picture007.jpg

that is the hard drive
, but I don't even know if I have an open slot...do most computers, even fairly old ones.
I don't know what these plugs are and where they go...I might open up the computer soon and look around.

struby

It might help if anyone who knows how to install this could talk to me on aim, my sn is shortman8837.
I would help if someone could walk me through this and I would appretiate it a lot.