virtual memory

tremmor

need more memory.
its using your hard drive for memory now.
its cheap enough.

ya could try going to start, run and 'msconfig'.
on the start up tab you could uncheck everything
you don't need running. ya don't need ms office products or
adobe running. you can double click it and start up as needed.
you can always go back and turn it back on for start up.

Last edited:

tasha1133

need more memory.
its using your hard drive for memory now.
its cheap enough.

ya could try going to start, run and 'msconfig'.
on the start up tab you could uncheck everything
you don't need running. ya don't need ms office products or
adobe running. you can double click it and start up as needed.
you can always go back and turn it back on for start up.

and your harddrive is probably running low on disk space already. Try to check it.. how big is your paging file by the way?

linkin

VIP Member
I heard that your page file should be 1/3 bigger than your actual RAM. eg you have 2gb of ram so your pagefile should be 3gb

tasha1133

I heard that your page file should be 1/3 bigger than your actual RAM. eg you have 2gb of ram so your pagefile should be 3gb

you can actually go up to 4x your RAM. I have an old PC with 512 mb RAM. I set the paging file to 2GB.. it's doing fine..

2048Megabytes

I have two gigabytes of RAM in my system and have my page file set at 384 megabytes. My system runs great with these settings.

linkin

VIP Member
i have 2gb of ram, when i set my pagefile anything less than 1gb i get virtual memory alarms whenver i enter any games. :(

2048Megabytes

I would set the pagefile to about 1200 megabytes in size then. What games are you playing that require such a large pagefile?

thank you all for your help. this is a built from old parts special. just your basic web surfer. nothing fancy. the virtual memory alarm threw me because it had not been an issue in the past.

good luck to everyone!!!

tyttebøvs

virtual memory = ram + page file

så if windows says low on virtual memory, it just means you are almost out of usable memory

Cold Canuck

The game Crysis is a real hog when it comes to memory usage.

I'm currently running XP with 2GB and the game console shows that after a few levels into the game, Crysis can be sucking up 1.2 of that :eek:

aviation_man

thank you all for your help. this is a built from old parts special. just your basic web surfer. nothing fancy. the virtual memory alarm threw me because it had not been an issue in the past.

good luck to everyone!!!

This warning can also come if you don't shutdown your computer periodically.

tasha1133

I have two gigabytes of RAM in my system and have my page file set at 384 megabytes. My system runs great with these settings.

actually you don't need a a huge page file if your RAM can handle all your tasks well, if you're not a heavy user.. so really, it depends on what you do with your PC.. If you get memory alarms then you better set the page file to a higher setting..