staf

hi folks

i have the option to buy a computer with either win vista or win XP

so which one is better?

thanks

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Vista will be kept up to date longer. XP is losing updates and support from Microsoft in 39 days.

spirit

Staff member
Neither if you can - 7 or 8 all the way!

But if you must choose between XP and Vista, Vista...

PCunicorn

Yeah for sure Vista. It's a better, newer OS and still updated. And it is likely the computer with Vista is more modern.

spynoodle

Ideally, you should either just upgrade whichever one you buy to Windows 7 or 8, or install a Linux distribution. What are the specs of each computer? Specs matter more than what OS is currently installed.

Okedokey

What hardware? Vista is a dog on slow hardware, and XP is fine as long as you understand how to keep it secure.

Okedokey

Give me a break!!! Talking out of your arse on that one.

Absolutely agree.

Windows Vista is a bloated pig of an operating system. In fact, compared to Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or 3, Vista requires roughly twice the hardware resources to deliver comparable performance. Even stripped to the bone, with every new UI enhancement turned off and every new background service disabled, Vista is a good 40 percent slower than XP at a variety of business productivity tasks.
http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/death-match-windows-vista-versus-windows-xp-144?page=0,2

DMGrier

VIP Member
Vista for two reasons...

1. Still supported

2. Xp is a security hell hole and will only get worse without support.

PCunicorn

Give me a break!!! Talking out of your arse on that one.

My Latitude D610 while maybe not running smoother, was running as smooth using the basic theme on Vista. Booted faster too.

Okedokey, good job quoting an article when I have used them both on the same laptop.

Last edited:

Okedokey

My Latitude D610 while maybe not running smoother, was running as smooth using the basic theme on Vista. Booted faster too.

Okedokey, good job quoting an article when I have used them both on the same laptop.

Mate, the point here is that we don't know the OPs hardware, and without that its not a good idea to recommend the most resource hog of any MS OS ever. The well known fact based on many years is that it is a resource hog and I have quoted you a reputable source...

So here is some more evidence:

The report also concluded in tests involving real world applications Vista performed considerably slower, noting "We are disappointed that CPU-intensive applications such as video transcoding with XviD (DVD to XviD MPEG4) or the MainConcept H.264 Encoder performed 18% to nearly 24% slower in our standard benchmark scenarios". Other commonly used applications, including Photoshop and WinRAR, also performed worse under Vista

When Vista shipped it was seen as too resource hungry for the systems some customers were trying to run it on, resulting in sluggish performance. Indeed, Microsoft had to extend the life of Windows XP for small netbook computers because system makers said Vista would barely run on those devices at all.
http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/article/272442/windows_7_less_resource-hog_than_vista/

windows7useslessramanddiskspacethanv2.jpg

bench-580-90.jpg
http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...ws-compared-windows-7-vs-vista-vs-xp-615167/8

Okedokey

Support is overated. Really if you have a proper router, firewall and antivirus combined with good internet and software habits, XP will be fine. If you rely on ANY OS for your security its a problem. The security of XP is overstated, and a bigger problem for enterprise. A home user, with SP3, fully updated and AVAST with malwarebytes, a good back up routine and some software and browsing discipline will not have a problem.

Vista, is not sufficiently more secure now, or even in 12 months time to warrant its slow, resource hoggin ways...

spirit

Staff member
Well the trouble is that XP is 13 years old after all and you can bet that once MS ends support for it, so will other software manufacturers. New software likely won't work with XP and you can't use the old software forever, so really you're just better off going for a newer OS in the first place.

No, I wouldn't recommend Vista ordinarily, but if you MUST choose between XP and Vista, I'm going to say get Vista. Forget about XP and Vista altogether if you can get 7 or 8.

PCunicorn

If it comes with Vista, then it can probably handle Vista Okedokey. Pretty simple. As I said, my D610 handled Vista nicely, so I don't give two craps over your benchmarks because I have actually used them both.

Spirit, why wouldn't you recommend Vista? It's a fine OS on hardware that Vista came pre-installed with, and a decent OS with basic on older hardware.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Spirit, why wouldn't you recommend Vista? It's a fine OS on hardware that Vista came pre-installed with, and a decent OS with basic on older hardware.

For a start, it is now 7 years old and only has about 3 years of support left on it. It's also not as stable as 7 or 8 and it is more resource hungry and it does run a little slower. That's a fact.

I actually found Windows 7 ran better on older hardware than Vista did. I don't think that's a great surprise anyway. Most of the machines which came preinstalled with Vista when it was new could barely run it. Take at look at later P4 machines with 512MB or 1GB of DDR2 RAM. Hardly ideal for XP, let alone Vista.

Last edited:

ivtec

banned
If it comes with Vista, then it can probably handle Vista Okedokey. Pretty simple. As I said, my D610 handled Vista nicely, so I don't give two craps over your benchmarks because I have actually used them both.

I agree with you, i don't know why people here advise win 7 for a machine low on hardware! i have also win vista on my machine. First because it came with it from the dealer,second if i install win 7 on it; it will be 50% slower i'm sure.
and about win xp, there is no support at all,people be real.
Besides Win Vista or other OPS is Slow only if i don't keep it with good updates and Disk cleaned up and Disc Defragmented also there are good info how to get internet Explorer running faster with some default settings and other settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.