Vista shows 3gb memory

sshaggy

Well I have a laptop , and of course the BIOS is locked, and i cant change anythiing, except boot device option. And the 400MHz Ram was factory installed, and I bought the 333MHz RAM later. I was a novice then, and didnt knew anything about RAM frequency mismatching.

Springy182

How much memory does your video card have?

That's not true actually, a dedicated video card like a 9800GT or Radeon 4870 doesnt affect system RAM, it's a misconception because of 32 bit address space only seeing 3.5GB RAM and people having 512MB graphics cards, try running a 4870 1GB or GTX 280 on 1GB DDR2, it'd work :p

thandakid

banned
I have 4 Gb RAM but vista 32 bit on my laptop and 512 mb dedicated VGA so my comp shows only 3Gb
So that is why i thought so ....
Thanx for telling me bout the GPU stuff

tyttebøvs

That's not true actually, a dedicated video card like a 9800GT or Radeon 4870 doesnt affect system RAM, it's a misconception because of 32 bit address space only seeing 3.5GB RAM and people having 512MB graphics cards, try running a 4870 1GB or GTX 280 on 1GB DDR2, it'd work :p

Memory mapped I/O. VRAM is part of that. So yes, it reduces the usable amount of address space that can be used to your normal system ram.

VRAM is just not always mapped 1:1

Edit: I think you have RAM vs address space messed up.

Last edited: