Wanting to Build a new desktop

CrazyMike

None of what I posted was pointed at you.

As for your questions:

the 980x is stupidly expensive for what it is. You get good performance but you pay the premium for a high end Intel CPU.

An SSD benefits your system because it has a near zero seek time and good random read/write performance. Hard drives are slow in this regard, because they have to move the access head into position and find the right spot on the platter where the data is stored. An SSD has no moving parts so everything takes a lot less time because finding files is near instant. SSD's are good for operating systems, web browsers and office applications. Because of their limited storage space, they are not good for games/data/storage drives until they come in large (a few hundred Gb's or a Tb) sizes for cheap. A good 60GB SSD is ~$120. A 1TB HDD can be had for $60.

G.Skill, Mushkin, Corsair, and so on are all trusted and proven RAM brands. They all carry lifetime warranty, like any good manufacturer.

All in one liquid cooling kits are near zero maintenance. They do not leak (unless you get a faulty one, highly unlikely), they do not need refilling and they don't need to be built. The only thing you really need to worry about is getting the right fans and cleaning the radiator of dust every now and then. As for setting it up and running it, the pump should always run 100%, make sure to take note what fan header it's plugged into, and set that header to full speed in the BIOS. Alternatively you can run it from a molex connector. The H50/H60/H70 coolers come with a 3 pin for the pump. The H80 and H100 come with a molex, and have an integrated fan controller where you plug the fans into, and it controls the fan speed based on coolant temp, not CPU temp. Quite ingenious really.

Hope that helps.

This helps a lot man. Thank you.

I totally agree with the processor comment. I mean, the i7 980x is a very good processor (i have tried it) but the price tag seems a bit high seeing as AMD has a processor close to the same performance, if not better, for less money. I personally have never used AMD and am not familiar with their quality. From the reviews i have read and the testimonials from others, they seem like a pretty decent quality.

I now understand what you are trying to say. Just to be sure, you are saying all media files and games and such should be on the HDD and OS, web browsing, documents and stuff should be on the SSD. Makes total sense.

I have heard of Mushkin and Corsair, just haven't heard of the G.Skill so it caught me off guard. Something that i will have to look into.

Liquid cooling, i am still nervous on using it. I would probably get a professional to install it (at least then i would have warranty).

Well Linkin it seems as if you actually do know what your talking about. Even for a 17 year old, lol. But if you look at GeoHotz he was only 17 when cracked the iphone. Is there a way that i can private message you via this forum site or email? I just find it easier to have a conversation over. I wouldn't mind getting your help on this build. You have some pretty good ideas and info.

If your interested, i was going to really customize my computer by laser etching into the plexiglass. If you help me with my build ill put your name on it and email a bunch of pictures to you. You can say you built a computer in Canada. lol. Just a suggestion.

Thanks again for your help.

linkin

VIP Member
There's no need for a professional to install an AIO water cooler, it would probably just leave them scratching their head because they are more an enthusiast thing :D

It's really simple, you mount the rad and fans, mount the block, plug in all the cables and you're set.

This post is cut short cause I have to leave...

jonnyp11

I totally agree with the processor comment. I mean, the i7 980x is a very good processor (i have tried it) but the price tag seems a bit high seeing as AMD has a processor close to the same performance, if not better, for less money. I personally have never used AMD and am not familiar with their quality. From the reviews i have read and the testimonials from others, they seem like a pretty decent quality.

I may not be the smartest person here, but i can guarentee you that AMD's Phenom II 1100T is NOWHERE near the performance of Intel's 980 or 990 X's. There isn't a thing wrong with the 1100T, but the I7's architecture/IPC is a much more advanced tech than AMD has and of course that means the 900X's are way faster, along with the fact that Intel has threaded tham as 12 cores, almost doubling the amount of information each core can recieve/send at a time, although it is nowhere close to the performance of 12 cores.

Also putting the browser on the ssd isn't encouraged, ssd's can only read and write over things so many times, a ton but still, before they begin to fail, it is the cost, other than the price, for the performance.

And if you click on his name, the first option will be to send this user a private message.

Last edited:

CrazyMike

I may not be the smartest person here, but i can guarentee you that AMD's Phenom II 1100T is NOWHERE near the performance of Intel's 980 or 990 X's. There isn't a thing wrong with the 1100T, but the I7's architecture/IPC is a much more advanced tech than AMD has and of course that means the 900X's are way faster, along with the fact that Intel has threaded tham as 12 cores, almost doubling the amount of information each core can recieve/send at a time, although it is nowhere close to the performance of 12 cores.

Also putting the browser on the ssd isn't encouraged, ssd's can only read and write over things so many times, a ton but still, before they begin to fail, it is the cost, other than the price, for the performance.

And if you click on his name, the first option will be to send this user a private message.

Ya i really wasn't talking about AMD's Phenom II. I was more or less mentioning this new Bulldozer chip. IF this chip is everything that has been said, it should kick the Intel i7 980x ass. Or so i figure anyway. A true 8 core should beat it's bottom, not to mention with the cheap AMD price tag.

I think ill just have to research the differences between SSD and HDD myself. With two conflicting answers, it might be best to try and figure it out on my own. But I sure thank you both for your inputs.

I don't get the private message option. Maybe because i am still a noob lol.

Overall i think what ill be aiming for is the AMD Bulldozer chip (if it does come out in September). I'll give it a month to get reviewed and tested to be sure, but this will be my goal. If it turns out not to be what it is suppose to, my second choice will be the Intel i7 980x. With Intel running hot (Intel's seem to all run hot) i will probably consider liquid cooling (aka water cooling). Are there brands out there that seem to out perform the other brands? or are they all pretty much the same? Me being nervous on installing this, i am unsure if i will attempt it. Maybe after a lot of youtube videos, i might gain confidence.

I do have a question though, right now i have 8GB of Kinston RAM in my desktop with the Q6600 Intel Core 2 Processor. It seems to run fast and fine. Then in my laptop I have 16GB Samsung RAM with the i7 2720M processor, which also seems to run fast and fine. The question is, how much RAM should one have? I seem to think that 16GB is kind of rediculous, and that 8GB is pretty much max of what you need. BUT if a person put in 16GB of this G-skill RAM, would it run rediculously fast? Meaning opening and closing of programs and running movies and such. I am just wondering how much RAM is over the top.

Let's also talk video cards. Most high grade video cards run 3GB in them. Is this to compensate for the 3D and triple monitor features? I was just wondering if the choice of running 2 seprate cards would be better then just one. Key feature would be temp control. One card running 3 monitors at 3D would run extremely hot, vs two cards running one monitor each, no? I was just thinking instead of getting one card, get two (most likely the same brand because i'm just like that lol). What do you guys think?

Thanks for all your comments and opinions, i really appreciate all the help trying to plan for this (what i concider) going to be Epic Build. (for me anyway)

linkin

VIP Member
It might not beat the 980x. I mean, a Bulldozer module (seen as two cores by windows) is actually 80% of two cores, and I believe they share resources (which should be better for single threaded stuff). It's really all a toss up at the moment.

RAM won't affect performance or frames per second. For video editing, rendering and photoshop stuff, lots of RAM and a nice SSD will bring best performance.

CrazyMike

It might not beat the 980x. I mean, a Bulldozer module (seen as two cores by windows) is actually 80% of two cores, and I believe they share resources (which should be better for single threaded stuff). It's really all a toss up at the moment.

RAM won't affect performance or frames per second. For video editing, rendering and photoshop stuff, lots of RAM and a nice SSD will bring best performance.

Hmm, interesting to hear there Linkin. I would have thought that the Bull would beat the 980x, can't wait for it to come out to see.

Alright, nice to hear about RAM and SSD. I do a lot of video editing and what not.

I was thinking Linkin, what about this case (hopefully this link works) http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225
It is the Cool Master Haf x series. I think i kind of like it lol. Seems pretty good for airflow, lots of room for expansion and would provide a nice clean look i am looking for. What do you think. (again hopefully the link works).

linkin

VIP Member
It's a good case but personally I think the Corsair 600T cases are better value for money, and look better :D

But hey if you like it, buy it.

StrangleHold

Staff member
G Skill is good quality memory. For the price probably the best out rigth now. Mushkin second and Kingstom coming in thirid.

Bulldozer/Zambezi. Nobody knows how it will perform yet. Most benchmarks out are BS/fake.

The AMD Module vs. Intel Core setup is to compete against Intel with Hyperthreading. A Zambezi module is suppost to be 80% the performance with just somewhere betwen 12 and 15% more die space then a single Zambezi core. Which is alot better the Intel gets with a single core with Hyperthreading on two threads.

In single threaded performance, the Zambezi will probably be pretty good two. The Zambezi has 2 mb. of L2 on each module. Thats alot of L2. Where Intel i5/7 only has 256 kb on each core.

jonnyp11

from just looking at the design it looks like the bd would kill the i's, but we'll find out soon enough if that's true, and i sure hope it will be :D

CrazyMike

Ok, so the reason why i chose this Mother Board. I like this one because there is lots of room for expansion. I love how there are tons of USB with the 3.0 intergrated on the board. The intergrated sound card is already a pretty decent one, with the option of optical out. You have various options for video cards. There are 6 slots for DDR3 memory available, leaving me room for any rediculous amounts of memory.

Now for the chipset, you guys ask why the 1366 socket and not the z68. Call me dumb but i have no idea what chipset your talking about lol. I just know that the i7 980x processor is a 1366 chipset. This is the processor ill most likely pick if the bulldozer fails expectations. Of coarse a different board will be chosen for the bulldozer.

I don't know i was looking at all the options this board gives, along with Asus awesome quality, and just liked it. Let me know what you think of this board and why. What features you find are 'Bad' and what you would like to see different.

Jonny i am going with an SSD drive. Just want to try and find a 500GB one. And for some reason i can't find any Samsung drives, reason? Drives i am unsure which brand to go with, i know i have had seagate in the past and have been good, i like samsung drives as well. I have never had problems with either. Let me know which drives you like and why.

Thanks for your help.

jonnyp11

just look up the f3 1tb, and for the 980X, which they have the 990X which is a little faster for the exact same price and cheaper for some reason, terribly overpriced and will be slower than the 2600k in some cases and faster in others, but nowhere near worth the tripled price, and there will be a new set of 6 core 12 threaded cpu's coming in january supposedly, we know they're coming not the time, but i was saying the z68 because it uses the ssd in a different way so it can work faster, and for a 500gb ssd, do you have any idea how much that will cost, here look at this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...,4214:148328&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=100

cheapest 500gb in stock is over 700, didn't even look at the out of stock but that's generally one of the cheaper ssd's i believe.

CrazyMike

just look up the f3 1tb, and for the 980X, which they have the 990X which is a little faster for the exact same price and cheaper for some reason, terribly overpriced and will be slower than the 2600k in some cases and faster in others, but nowhere near worth the tripled price, and there will be a new set of 6 core 12 threaded cpu's coming in january supposedly, we know they're coming not the time, but i was saying the z68 because it uses the ssd in a different way so it can work faster, and for a 500gb ssd, do you have any idea how much that will cost, here look at this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...,4214:148328&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=100

cheapest 500gb in stock is over 700, didn't even look at the out of stock but that's generally one of the cheaper ssd's i believe.

I'm sorry i miss typed that one. I meant to say I am interested in getting the i7 990x not the 980x. I'm unsure when you say the 2600k will be faster then the 990x in some ways. Do you know where i could find more info on this 2600k? I am curious to see this. (and no i am not calling you a liar, lol. I just never knew). In everything that i have read, the 990x is on top, newegg.ca (the cheapest i have seen so far) is $999.00. And i don't like how Intel has a big price tag, but i mean if it's faster, who cares lol. IF the Bulldozer doesn't match up to the performance of this 990x processor, then this is the one i will be getting (unless of coarse i hear of something better, possibly this 2600k you are talking about).

When you say the z68 uses the SSD in a different way, what do you mean?

And yes i know exactly how much a 500GB SSD is going to cost ( I have been looking) lol. I am tied between the 500GB and the 250GB. Really don't want to be mounted down by space. I have a feeling i will get the 250GB and wish later that i got the 500GB. But then again i could always upgrade in the future i guess. Most likely going to be a Kinston Brand (just have had a lot of luck with kingston products in the past, so that is the only reason lol).

jonnyp11

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-2600k-990x_4.html#sect0

the difference between the 2 other than the 990X's extra 2 cores is that the 2600k is a newer architecture or design, it has the ability to do more work at the same clock speed, and in the end very few thing, meaning almost 0, use 6 cores, and the only way for the 990X to be faster is when it uses its 6 cores and the thing that makes it an i7 is that it acts like 12 cores, but unless encoding or cecoding you will never see the benefits of this.

CrazyMike

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-2600k-990x_4.html#sect0

the difference between the 2 other than the 990X's extra 2 cores is that the 2600k is a newer architecture or design, it has the ability to do more work at the same clock speed, and in the end very few thing, meaning almost 0, use 6 cores, and the only way for the 990X to be faster is when it uses its 6 cores and the thing that makes it an i7 is that it acts like 12 cores, but unless encoding or cecoding you will never see the benefits of this.

That's awesome. That is the exact same article i just got through reading, lol. So it seems that the 2600k does out perform the 990x in many different ways. I did find some info that votes for the 990x vs the 2600k, such as cache speed, running temp, but the question is, is it really worth the extra coin?

This is something ill have to look into. Thanks for pointing this out.

jonnyp11

if you get a 2600k, you'll have to get a 1155 motherboard, and preferably a z68 chipset, i never did answer the question about what i said, mainly cuz i'm unsure, i was told by one of the vets. of this forum that it used it as a cache or something, i just know it uses the ssd in a more efficient way to get a better resulting speed than a p67 would get.

Benny Boy

And yes i know exactly how much a 500GB SSD is going to cost ( I have been looking) lol. I am tied between the 500GB and the 250GB. Really don't want to be mounted down by space. I have a feeling i will get the 250GB and wish later that i got the 500GB. But then again i could always upgrade in the future i guess. Most likely going to be a Kinston Brand (just have had a lot of luck with kingston products in the past, so that is the only reason lol).

Keep in mind that a SSD is different than a HDD regarding what to do to keep the drive's performance up. A lot can be done at setup.

OCZ, GSkill, Intel, Crucial, Mushkin, Corsair are all better than Kingston's.