Wanting to Build a new desktop

StrangleHold

Staff member
in the top post you mentioned going for the 16gb's or something, more than 2 sticks removes dual channel

Doesnt remove dual channel. He said he would either go for 8gb. of two 4gb sticks. or 16gb. of four 4gb sticks. Two or four sticks will run in dual channel.

CrazyMike

I figured it out, i am going with 8GB (4Gx2) instead of 8GB (4x2GB). After thinking about it i would be better off with the 4GB sticks. I THINK it would be better per stick (running cooler and better) vs more sticks.

My SSD that i will be using is ONLY for OS and programs. All data and various things will be saved on the HDD.

Any suggestions on cooling? Liquid cooling to be exact.

CrazyMike

Sata III is faster. I was mentioning that some users report an issue with the newest Sandforce Sata III controller.

Good to know! Have you heard of any issues being resolved yet? Corsair Force Series GT 120GB is what i was wanting. So hopefully changes have been made.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I figured it out, i am going with 8GB (4Gx2) instead of 8GB (4x2GB). After thinking about it i would be better off with the 4GB sticks. I THINK it would be better per stick (running cooler and better) vs more sticks.

Two 4gb sticks is better then four 2gb sticks.

CrazyMike

in the top post you mentioned going for the 16gb's or something, more than 2 sticks removes dual channel which will increase speeds some, but also unless you really want to get the 2600k, you could get the 2500k then go for the best of the best early 2012 when they pull out ivy bridge.

I thought about waiting for the Ivy Bridge to come out. Right now i am holding myself back for the Bulldozer to get some results (after it comes out of coarse). If it looks good, ill most likely change my build to suit that. As of right now i'm just going with the 2600K. Earlier posts showed me that this is one hell of a processor. Sure in the future there is going to be better ones, but there will always be better ones. If i kept waiting for a better processor, i would never get this thing built. So as of right now, the 2600K is my choice. Still trying to wait it out and see what the Bulldozer is going to do, but at this point, i just want this thing built already :) . Waiting to see how the Bull performs is about as long as i can wait, don't even know if i can wait that long. I can always upgrade in the future.