Was It A Mistake?

g4m3rof1337

I recently purchased an expensive laptop. And I may want to return it.

Please do not mention. Why did you purchase it then return it. Your immature and anything else along those lines. Thank You.

Anyways.
If I do indeed return it. I will have my 2000 refunded. Then I can buy a new mp3 player and upgrade or build a new rig.

What are your thoughts?

Why I want to keep it.
- I can be anywhere with wifi and do stuff. Like work on my website, game ext.

Why I dont want it.
- Its expensive so its prone to theft.

Thanks

Geoff

VIP Member
I've been in the same situation many times, and even recently when I wanted to buy a new desktop.

I think it's pointless having a gaming desktop and laptop, since you can only be on one at a time. Your laptop looks like it has almost identical specs to your desktop, so its even more pointless having an almost identical desktop and laptop.

But you also have to ask yourself if it's worth spending $2000 on a gaming laptop, or around $1000 for a bit better gaming desktop. The laptop is useful for wifi and wireless gaming/use, but is it really worth $2000?

Crypto

so you want to return it because you're afraid someone will steal it??

Mobility with a laptop is a wonderful thing. If you can afford it keep it, if you can't, return it.

g4m3rof1337

Yeah.
If I do indeed build a whole new desktop, ill make my current one a LAN server. Or I'll just upgrade.

I also liked the idea of going to a LAN and having a good desktop and laptop. But yeah...

And if i wanted to i could buy a cheap $400 laptop for basic stuff if i needed it.

Thanks

so you want to return it because you're afraid someone will steal it??

That and like omega said, I wont be using it as much and i have a comparable desktop.

Crypto

maybe you're just having buyers remorse. It happens sometimes when you fork out 2K on something like this.
If you're uncomfortable with the purchase, return it while you can.

g4m3rof1337

I totally can not decide...

Do I return it and get a very nice gaming desktop and then have a nice LAN server...

Or do I keep the laptop and make some upgrades to my current rig.

If halo 2 vista will play well on the laptop on wireless and wired lan connection, ill be fine.

Thanks

Geoff

VIP Member
Yeah.
If I do indeed build a whole new desktop, ill make my current one a LAN server.
So you want to have two desktops, one a server and one your main gaming PC??? Thats even worse! You can buy a computer at best buy for like $300 and use that for a gaming server.

Realistically, how often are you hosting servers for a LAN party?

And I used to think that my laptop would be stolen as well, or i'll forget it at school, which is why I sold it in the first place, but now I realize that it was pretty dumb to think that.

g4m3rof1337

Well...
It wouldnt 'just' use it as a LAN server...
Id have two hdd's in and use it for a backup or something.

But my laptop, has small keys, cause they added a full number pad... Its hard to use some of the keys much less get use to the layout.
Then, what do I do when the laptop becomes obsolete...
I'd be stuck with what was once a 2000 laptop, that will be under 1000 and wayyy past the 30 day return period lol. I have some time to decide, ive had it for 16 days now.

And I would upgrade my current computer with a gpu and stuff, but i am not sure an 8800 would fit...

Crypto

I seriously do not know weather or not if I should return it...

I got to be honest with you man, I hope you don't take offense to this, but selling something because you're afraid it will be stolen is rediculous. I don't think you're being honest with yourself about why you feel you should sell it.
Sell your car and anything else you've ever bought, 'cause guess what, it can be stolen too. Just my opinion, not trying to be a dick

Last edited:

ducis

indeed you could get one nice desktop with 2K I say return it while you can and buy a desktop in less you need the portability

g4m3rof1337

I am not returning it cause iam afraid of it getting stolen, though i would be a 14 year old in a big city with an expensive laptop...

And thank you all .

ApexHack

Here's a novel concept: What about contemplating this stuff BEFORE YOU BUY?

I just call 'em as I see 'em.

g4m3rof1337

I actually thought the laptop would have bigger keys, since they added a full number pad, its cramped...

No matter where I went, there were no over head pictures....

HumanMage

I would keep the laptop. I just bought my laptop and am loving every minute of my ownership. Mobility is a great thing, like said before. I would upgrade your desktop as well, maybe another gig of RAM, upgrade the video card? If all your worried about is theft...how can you lose track of a 17' laptop? I'd keep the laptop solely on the purpose of mobility.

g4m3rof1337

I love the laptop...

I would totally keep it if will play halo 2 vista great.

H2v will probably be Dx9 and Dx10
The specs once again are.
7900GS
2GB ram
2.0GHz

It should play well.
It'd be on wireless and LAN so it should be fine.

Right?

Cause it was $2000
I am paying monthly fee's on $500
I have 3 more to go.
- - -
If I return it, I get the $500 back then Id be getting paid again, giving me $800 total.
And my birthday is coming up in...october lol. Maybe get a better desktop then.

And also, what do I do when the laptop's value goes down...

Ive been going off and on for 2 days now...

Altanore

Everything loses value. You will probably spend a lot on your desktop which will end up losing value too. Depends really on the lasting value. Will it last quite a while for a things you wish to do with it before it becomes too slow?

I'd keep it. Sounds like a good gaming laptop and if you want a laptop with good performance, you have to shell out that $2000. I'd keep the laptop, can take it without on a road trip, plane, etc. Your portable gaming machine.

Your Desktop PC looks pretty good atm too.

Anyway, money is no use if you don't spend it. Just enjoy some things in life... like your laptop =P. If it makes you feel any better, I've spent $1500 on lights and fans alone in my PC. JUST lights and fans. That includes things like fan controllers and stuff =P. I like my lights so I'll spend the money to get em! Heh.

Last edited: