Was It A Mistake?

Altanore

Don't see why it wont. Got a good video card and all. What about around the house? in bed? relaxing outside? Taking it to lan parties and such?

b3rt_d4ni3l

the main thing about laptop is portability as you all know (big surprised, right??) :D:D
but when you add 2gb RAM, 7900GS, 2.0GHz of processor.... you got yourself a good gaming machine minus the bulkiness of a desktop (notice i said good, not the best) so again as everyone been saying LAN party will be a good place where this laptop will shine...
it should be able to handle H2V quite well...

i suggest you should keep it... i am looking for a gaming laptop myself but i cant afford the $2000 price tag... sadness...

g4m3rof1337

Processor: 2 Ghz Pentium 4 class processor (or x64)
RAM: 1 GB
Hard Drive: 7 GB
Video Card: DX9 graphics card: WDDM driver, PS 2.0/32BPP, At least nVidia 6000 or ATI x700 or above
Online Multi-player: Internet connection for Games for Windows – LIVE
Drive: DVD-ROM drive

Those are the specs I found on some Halo 2 Vista sites...

How would the laptop handle that?
With a wireless and a LAN connection?

Geoff

VIP Member
If those are the correct specs then your laptop should handle it well. But why do you ask about the internet connection? If your asking if it will work with a wireless/wired connection, then yes, it will.

g4m3rof1337

Should I return the laptop or build a new desktop. Upgrade is not an option.

I like the laptop, I am sure it would work well, but... they keys are to small...
It has a number pad.

So...

Return or Keep?

Return, Build a server and a desktop, use the server for gaming but while not gaming use it for file back-up for biz's. You can make some serious money by doing that and buy another laptop.

I am going to do some file back-ups for a few local biz's. After I get in college, I will fully open the business as a database. The setup may be difficult, to get it running right, but once you do here comes the money. I would like to get into offset processing, too.

You've just reminded me to post for tips on this and help on this

Last edited:

lovely?

can you really make lots of cash by making a file backup server? how long would it take to pay off a, say, 2000$ server?

Geoff

VIP Member
can you really make lots of cash by making a file backup server? how long would it take to pay off a, say, 2000$ server?

Im sure it would take a long time, if it would even at all, since you also need to have an extremely fast internet connection (both upload and download), so you're probably looking at a dedicated T3 at the least.

I had 4 biz's to start out with, all of them I do some repair work for. I asked them about a back-up server, they said they would do it. I was looking at about $250 a month. I would just measure by files and folders created and total usage. Like $10/Gigabyte per month. Hey, looks like spare cash to me. $2000 server, I would build an $800 computer and pop 4 HD's in it as needed. Once the business flourishes a bit, then you may wanna consider the $2000 server. It doesn't have to be fast, I was looking more to reliability and security. If the connection went down, since I am working with local clients, they can call me and I will bring the files to them on an external HDD.

Geoff

VIP Member
I had 4 biz's to start out with, all of them I do some repair work for. I asked them about a back-up server, they said they would do it. I was looking at about $250 a month. I would just measure by files and folders created and total usage. Like $10/Gigabyte per month. Hey, looks like spare cash to me. $2000 server, I would build an $800 computer and pop 4 HD's in it as needed. Once the business flourishes a bit, then you may wanna consider the $2000 server. It doesn't have to be fast, I was looking more to reliability and security. If the connection went down, since I am working with local clients, they can call me and I will bring the files to them on an external HDD.
Oh ok, well thats alot different then having an online backup storage site. No offense but im a bit surprised businesses are letting you backup their data, where you can easily view and edit stuff.

HumanMage

This may be a moot point but are you sure you can return the laptop? I don't know your warranty or anything but I would check out to see if you could actually return it.

However with that said, I would still keep the laptop. Why is upgradeing out of the question? IMO that would be easier than building a new desktop :confused:

g4m3rof1337

Returning in still valid.
Upgrading, well cause I would have to get a new psu, gpu, ram, and case...
Just for an upgrade...
Then those parts would...be sitting literally ...

So Ill keep it working and build a new rig.

[-0MEGA-];636553 said:
Oh ok, well thats alot different then having an online backup storage site. No offense but im a bit surprised businesses are letting you backup their data, where you can easily view and edit stuff.

Nope I can't see the data, they are gonna be using Axcrypt on their PC's so, I won't have access to the files but, I can organize. Once again I have no password to open them.

Geoff

VIP Member
Returning in still valid.
Upgrading, well cause I would have to get a new psu, gpu, ram, and case...
Just for an upgrade...
Then those parts would...be sitting literally ...

So Ill keep it working and build a new rig.
You can just upgrade the GPU and PSU you know, then get another gig of RAM later on. You dont have to do everything at once.