watching people on my network

Status
Not open for further replies.

hjahmad

try wireshark
takes a while to get used to. we used it in school, just to monitor our own traffic, packages and all that fun stuff. but ive been told it can monitor the network too, but i never tried.
its kind of a bitch to setup though

theshadowxx

He didn't originally leave his wireless open to "bait" people. Some one started stealing it. From what it sounds like the op didn't leave the wireless unsecured for malicious reasons.

If that is your premise then how are honeypots not illegal?

lol exactly, im not "baiting" people. you must be kidding me if you think that I would actually do that lol. I actually leave my network open because I eard that if I encrypt it, it actually slows it my internet down a bit. Plus its a lot easier if friends come over, and they ask if they can connct yo my network I say, sure go ahead my here's my SSID

I could tell you about the anarchist cook book, and you could go out on your own and use it for bad things, does that make me legally responsible? No, it does not.

You aren't grasping what I am saying here, and perhaps I am not writing it out clear enough.

Are free wifi spots illegal in anyway? NO, definitely not.

When people use free wifi for malicious and illegal activities, does that make the free wifi illegal? No

If you purposely bait people, or hell don't even look at it that way, if you are allowing people on your free wifi and then spying on them, is it illegal? Yes, and it leaves you wide open for civil suit, even if is not illegal for some reason or another (like a loop hole).

rotfl u must be crazy to think that im "baiting" people and then ASKING this question on a public forum, and if you don't want to answer my question, then just please leave my thread, because your not being helpful in anyway.

Your right, however they are not on an open free wifi spot. The neighbor is breaking the law and stealing his wifi, which has court cases backing up that it is illegal.

I still disagree with:

It brings me right back to the honeypot.

agreed.

try wireshark
takes a while to get used to. we used it in school, just to monitor our own traffic, packages and all that fun stuff. but ive been told it can monitor the network too, but i never tried.
its kind of a bitch to setup though

:) finally a real answer, thanks i'll check it out, it'll just let me see how many packets are being sent? or what?

Vampiric Rouge

:) finally a real answer, thanks i'll check it out, it'll just let me see how many packets are being sent? or what?

An answer yes, a correct one no. Wireshark sniffs only traffic to and from your computer. You can put it into promiscuous mode but that still wont really give you desired effects. Wireshark will show you everything about the packets to and form your computer not just how many but the headers and all of the data.

theshadowxx

so what programs WILL work? maybe its not even programs (i dont know) is there a way maybe I can see through my router? or something?

hjahmad

most routers usually have some sort of logs stored. i never bothered to look at them though so i wouldnt know whats in there

Vampiric Rouge

Your router will show you who is connected but not what they are doing. To figure that out you would have to change the color of your hat.

m3incorp

Hmmm this discussion almost seems pointless. OK, so you know that it's your neighbors that are leaping onto your unsecured network...hey just walk over and look over their shoulders when they're online using YOUR network. What's the real reason that you want to track what they are doing on your NETWORK? I lock my car because I don't want to have to "track" where the person that decides to use it because I left it unlocked, decided to drive it to. I bet I know who could probably answer your question..try asking the FBI or CIA.

theshadowxx

Your router will show you who is connected but not what they are doing. To figure that out you would have to change the color of your hat.

lol
Hmmm this discussion almost seems pointless. OK, so you know that it's your neighbors that are leaping onto your unsecured network...hey just walk over and look over their shoulders when they're online using YOUR network. What's the real reason that you want to track what they are doing on your NETWORK? I lock my car because I don't want to have to "track" where the person that decides to use it because I left it unlocked, decided to drive it to. I bet I know who could probably answer your question..try asking the FBI or CIA.

thanks! ur answer is so helpful and useful! it really solved my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.