Watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okedokey

You should fell good about providing you computer with solid, clean and powerful voltage regulation. My PSU is overkill, but with a 7 year warranty, its the cheapest and best.

I am going with a GTS 450, you know why?My psu was working fine.I am putting a 30w less cpu in it, and the GTS450 is 30w more than my current gpu.So i think im safe.

Okedokey

I am going with a GTS 450, you know why?My psu was working fine.I am putting a 30w less cpu in it, and the GTS450 is 30w more than my current gpu.So i think im safe.

You still haven't understood that they're not connected. The CPU wattage doesn't matter, because it is isolated and that POS CPU will never use 120W.

The GPU however in hot conditions can easily max that PSU, especially with 30W (out of a total of 160W = 19% increase in power), may take out your computer.

You have been warned.

Hyper-Threaded

Okay, but if anything doesnt happen within a couple months )blow up, etc), its on you.

And if nothing happens its on me, What?

Heres is an idea, use your 240 for now, buy a better power supply. When you get more money buy a better graphics card.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
I agree with Bigfella and HT and MCC here, Byte. Honestly, a 380W with a GTS 450 is a bad idea. It's already been proven here a number of times that it's dangerous.

I'd hold off getting a 450 now and instead spend the money on a better power supply now. Corsair CX 500, great power supply, cheap, will be fine. Will be more beneficial in the long run.

G80FTW

V2 180 watts is the gpu power.
But from what I gather from the feedback dates on Newegg the PS is around 5 years old.
I wouldn't trust the caps for running near the rated limit.

My psu is about 5 years old and its powering my system just fine. Just putting that out there.

G80FTW

You should fell good about providing you computer with solid, clean and powerful voltage regulation. My PSU is overkill, but with a 7 year warranty, its the cheapest and best.

I completely agree with this. Although 1200watts is more than overkill i think.

Gun

I agree with Bigfella and HT and MCC here, Byte. Honestly, a 380W with a GTS 450 is a bad idea. It's already been proven here a number of times that it's dangerous.

I'd hold off getting a 450 now and instead spend the money on a better power supply now. Corsair CX 500, great power supply, cheap, will be fine. Will be more beneficial in the long run.

I agree with all of this. 380W with a GTS 450? Definently bad and potentially dangerous idea.

Heck, you probably know more about computers than me Byte, but I know one thing for sure: Never cheap out on a Power Supply. It's probably the most important part of a computer.

mr.doom

Please remember that rails and amps are not everything. You need to be thinking about your PSU efficiency. Say you go for a good brand but nothing high end, you will get max 80% efficiency. Say you buy the Corsair CX430. You have the nominal output of 430W but with it's efficiency it will output no more then: 344W. Add up all of your systems consumption and you will soon see it's not enough.

As others said, factor in the temperature and how hard (read "long") you want it to be alive. Factor in that if your PSU blows, it will most likely take out all of the major components in your PC (if you are lucky, it's "just" CPU, motherboard and the GPU). It really pays to get something better and with the prices and the competition within this market, you will be easily able to buy a good, known brand, 600W PSU. Remember, just because it has 600W, it doesn't mean it will draw that much, just as much as it's needed. It will have better efficiency, meaning more electricity it takes from the wall will be converted into the steady current for your components and less into the heat. You save energy, your ears (it will run silent) and a lots of cash in case of the blow from the cheaper PSU.

Oh yeah, s3?You know who has tried to allways try to get someone out of a bad psu?Me.I didnt cheap out on my PSU.In fact, I spent quite a bit on it being that its only 380w.My PSU will almost deffinatly run a GTS 450, i will be putting the same load on it as I am now.

mr.doom

Oh yeah, s3?You know who has tried to allways try to get someone out of a bad psu?Me.I didnt cheap out on my PSU.In fact, I spent quite a bit on it being that its only 380w.My PSU will almost deffinatly run a GTS 450, i will be putting the same load on it as I am now.

Same load as in comparison to GT 240? I can assure you thatGTS 450 takes way more power and therefore adds far more load to your PSU. Take notice that GT 240 runs only from PCI-E, while GTS 450 needs extra juice from the PSU too. I've run shortly GTS 450 from Corsair CX430, but 380, I'm not so sure.

Way more power? We're are you coming from? Here, i am being rude, I will stop. Okay, you guys gave great advice. And, I won't put that much power on my psu with a GTX 260. UT, listen to this: I will have a 35w cpu, down from my 65w cpu I was running. I will have a GTS 450 for 100w, which is 30w more than my gt 240 (not way more power).

G80FTW

Please remember that rails and amps are not everything. You need to be thinking about your PSU efficiency. Say you go for a good brand but nothing high end, you will get max 80% efficiency. Say you buy the Corsair CX430. You have the nominal output of 430W but with it's efficiency it will output no more then: 344W. Add up all of your systems consumption and you will soon see it's not enough.

As others said, factor in the temperature and how hard (read "long") you want it to be alive. Factor in that if your PSU blows, it will most likely take out all of the major components in your PC (if you are lucky, it's "just" CPU, motherboard and the GPU). It really pays to get something better and with the prices and the competition within this market, you will be easily able to buy a good, known brand, 600W PSU. Remember, just because it has 600W, it doesn't mean it will draw that much, just as much as it's needed. It will have better efficiency, meaning more electricity it takes from the wall will be converted into the steady current for your components and less into the heat. You save energy, your ears (it will run silent) and a lots of cash in case of the blow from the cheaper PSU.

Jeez man. Now you got me all scared that my PSU will fail at any moment! Given that its nearly 5 years old and with my new computer I may be pushing it a little. Iv never had a problem with Antec PSUs in the past though.

I dont wanna thread jack, but since we are on the topic here is what my voltages display:

Not sure if voltages can be any indication of age.....but I keep my stuff looking new, and this PSU still looks new on the inside.

MyCattMaxx

Way more power? We're are you coming from? Here, i am being rude, I will stop. Okay, you guys gave great advice. And, I won't put that much power on my psu with a GTX 260. UT, listen to this: I will have a 35w cpu, down from my 65w cpu I was running. I will have a GTS 450 for 100w, which is 30w more than my gt 240 (not way more power).
You still don't get it.
Your cpu runs on V1.
You can have a 35 watt or a 95 watt cpu on there and it won't change the wattage available on V2 which runs the gpu and other things.
At this point just forget what your cpu uses, that does not effect the power available to the gpu.
Your PS has 2 12v rails that are separate from each other.

But it is YOUR system so feel free to take a chance on it, I personally would not.

Last edited:

G80FTW

Hey, that's how you get warnings/infractions, delete your post and make a thread.

I would have. But I felt like all the information that was asked for was already given and that this thread is really serving no other purpose but to argue about whether or not a certain PSU is strong enough to run what.

So I figured if this thread is done serving its purpose, why waste time and create another one and instead give this thread a short purpose again?

I mean, from what Iv been reading its just been going back and forth for the past few pages.....

Last edited:

mr.doom

I would have. But I felt like all the information that was asked for was already given and that this thread is really serving no other purpose but to argue about whether or not a certain PSU is strong enough to run what.

So I figured if this thread is done serving its purpose, why waste time and create another one and instead give this thread a short purpose again?

I mean, from what Iv been reading its just been going back and forth for the past few pages.....

I agree. At the end of the day it is up to the end user to decide how much they want to push their PSU. I'm just saying: spend 15-20 bucks more and get something decent, it will be cheaper then replacing fried parts in case of all goes south. Antec PSU's are great, no wonder you never had problems with it. Same goes for Corsair, which is my choice for every PC I build and it never failed me too. As much as many want to understate the PSU, it is by far one of the most important things - to get the right one in your rig.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I dont wanna thread jack, but since we are on the topic here is what my voltages display:

Your 12V rail is slightly low.

Everybody just quit dealing with byteninja2. He has been told. If he wants to use the one he has, let him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.