Watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G80FTW

Oh come on, seriously? Its my thread, and I am using this thread to ask questions.

Then I will throw in my 2 cents and agree with the others here that that 380 just wont cut it. Like others have said, it might work for a while, but I couldnt see it working for very long.

My first computer had a 350W power supply. I ran an AMD Socket A 1.6GHz Athlon XP, 256MB of DDR RAM, and a GeForce 2 MX200 and 2 75GB HDDs and an optical drive with about 4 80mm case fans and front LEDs. This all ran fine on that power supply. However, when I moved all the way up to my P4 setup in 2004ish it consisted of:

Same 350W power supply (it came with the case)
P4 Northwood 2.66GHz non-HT single core
512MB DDR500 RAM (single stick)
GeForce 6800 Ultra AGP

Everything else was the same. Within a day I had to replace that power supply with an Ultra 400W power supply. That power supply lasted about a few months and then it too stopped working. So I decided to go with a better brand and thats when I bought my first Antec which was a NeoPower 550W and that ran everything fine. (Until about 2007 when I got my 8800GTS, thats when I bought my current Antec)

Now, logically I shouldnt have needed a 550W power supply to run my computer, but like others said you dont wanna push the limits of your power supply or you could see it failing. Luckily when mine went out, they just shut down and stopped booting up (most PSUs I believe have safety circuits to prevent them from frying anything if they die) but the point is you are going to want more than 380W of headroom no matter how good a brand the PSU is.

Just take it from people who have building computers for a long time. A good power supply should be the BASE of your entire computer. You should not start building a computer until you first calculate your power demand needs and find the RIGHT power supply to power it. As without power, your computer is nothing. And dirty power can damage components which is why we stay away from cheap brands that are less efficient and dirty. Im sure there are people here that have been building computers longer than me, but I think at one point or another we have all learned that its never good to under power your computer.

Last edited:
Okay: Thank you. I am not going with what I did before, and thanks all for the advice. However, I was gonna ask a couple more questions for when I decide what I will completly do. But, Hijacking a thred IS agianst the rules, so make a thread. I sent a PM to a mod to close the thread, as other members are setting a bad example to say it is okay to hijack.

G80FTW

Okay: Thank you. I am not going with what I did before, and thanks all for the advice. However, I was gonna ask a couple more questions for when I decide what I will completly do. But, Hijacking a thred IS agianst the rules, so make a thread. I sent a PM to a mod to close the thread, as other members are setting a bad example to say it is okay to hijack.

Look man, like I said I would never have asked a question in this thread if I thought that it otherwise could have been headed in a positive direction. Which from what I was reading, it wasnt.

Look man, like I said I would never have asked a question in this thread if I thought that it otherwise could have been headed in a positive direction. Which from what I was reading, it wasnt.

Please dont take this the wrong way, but when somebody is still asking questions in the thread, you dont hijack. You shouldnt hijack at all, I personnally HATE it. Better stop posting, a Mod should be closing this soon.

G80FTW

Please dont take this the wrong way, but when somebody is still asking questions in the thread, you dont hijack. You shouldnt hijack at all, I personnally HATE it. Better stop posting, a Mod should be closing this soon.

My apologies. I did not see you asking questions, I saw you going back and forth with people arguing that you thought your PSU was enough. And it may be, but I wouldnt put my money on it.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Okay I see this has gotten way out of hand. I'm gonna go back through and see who needs an infraction.

Don't skimp on a PSU. It's the most important part to a good and stable system.

G80, start a new thread next time instead of hijacking another thread.

Thread closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.