Website Questions.

tlarkin

VIP Member
All you really need is a website, you don't even need a book.

Actually all you really need is Linux/Unix/OS X and the wget and the curl commands, then some basic knowledge and you can just use existing code and then modify it yourself.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Lol that would be pathetic...:rolleyes:

well depends on how you look at it

if you were to use bash commands to your advantage a simple...

Code:
wget -m http://www.nameofwebsite.com

Would download all the coding and create an exact mirror of the webpage on your desktop. That is a very powerful tool IMO.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yeah it's also called stealing...

well yes and no. For example, a friend of mine is a web developer and was hired to update a site someone had made a few years ago. Well he travels a lot and is not always online. I used wget to mirror the whole web page on his laptop so he could modify the code and work on it with out being online and then once he was finished he could just re-upload the whole page.

There are many functional uses of curl and wget. Stealing is one thing, but using it for a valid reason or using it to learn how someone codes something then writing your own code is okay in my book.

tlarkin

VIP Member
So a Mac would make it easier?

And could do any type of website?

My friend uses a PC I just helped him with that part. Mac and PC is the same neither is easier since HTML is a universal language and can be developed on any text editor. I prefer the Mac because of the powerful bash commands like curl and wget that allow you to do a lot of cool things with web pages when developing.

It all comes down to preference.

Punk

Staff member
I prefer PC lol.

The example you gave about your friend who needed to update the website is a small percentage of what usually people do when they download websites. And if you're a beginner in HTML or any coding language, I won't recommend looking at other sites that used the language... they use it professionally therefore it will be really hard to understand.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I prefer PC lol.

The example you gave about your friend who needed to update the website is a small percentage of what usually people do when they download websites. And if you're a beginner in HTML or any coding language, I won't recommend looking at other sites that used the language... they use it professionally therefore it will be really hard to understand.

I disagree. I am not expert on web developing because that is not my trade. However, I have built web sites before and have done some basic things and when I am teaching myself on how to do something I typically download the source toss it into a full editor application, then click on the the part of the site I was wanting to know how to code and it pulls up the HTML, CSS, java, PHP or whatever they used to code it

Then I know what they used for code and I can go to a site like http://www.w3schools.com/ and search for lessons using that code. I have two personal friends who develop websites professionally, and I they are pretty much self taught. They both went to school for graphic design, digital media, and web development but college only teaches you a very small amount. They look at source code to figure things out all the time, everyone does it. If you blatantly rip off someone's web page layout and their design then yes, that is stealing. If you look at their code to see how they did something then create something yourself from scratch that is not stealing, that is just learning from others.

Punk

Staff member
Yeah but to understand what they have and how they have done it, you need a certain level of knowledge on that code (also depending on what you want to do).

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yeah but to understand what they have and how they have done it, you need a certain level of knowledge on that code (also depending on what you want to do).

that is why you do some online tutorials at the website I posted in my previous post. it is pretty much a free course with even a test at the end to teach you how to understand and use the code.

Punk

Staff member
Yeah I've been on it myself when I learned Javascript.

But I found it way easier to learn it with a book.