what am i doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
@johnb35 no disrespect to you; but I'm really sick of people telling me to just buy a new (used) computer. Since my high school senior year (1992) when I bought my first comp (Tandy 1800 HD $1200 new off the shelf literally) I bought three laptops; two more were given to me by my father (1995) and my uncle's the one I "own" now. And that doesn't count the five broken desktops my boss gave me when his office transitioned to newer equipment. I never finished my computer education so I have no degree - constantly want to fix any computer is my way of "redemption". I have a smartphone I bought last spring. $80 bucks worked relatively fine the first couple months; now it seems like it "likes" to go faulty all the time every time. Just buying new might be no big deal to someone rich who likes to burn through money for fun; but I want to make things work and last

jones,

It's sentimental, we get it. What we are trying to explain to you is that something that old is most likely either A: too cost prohibitive to repair due to parts availability, or B: not able to be repaired due to parts simply not in existence anymore. This isn't a classic car, it's a 13 year old Business-level laptop. Even with as many parts replaced as possible, it's still a 13 year old Business-level laptop... Wanting to fix things is fine - everyone needs a hobby. But when that hobby turns into simply throwing money at something, that's when a lot of folks start to question the decision making process.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by actually getting it running again? Obtain files? Just to say you've done it? If it's the photos/whatnot on the Drive, just pull it and transfer. If just to do it, then that's your decision, but expect a lot of frustration (and probably money) in the process. $15k into restoring a classic car often yields a car worth considerably more than $15k. $250 into old tech worth $5 at a recycling place still yields old tech worth $5 at a recycling place. Take the money and instead use it on a newer used laptop from Ebay; you'd be amazed at what deals you can find. You comment on burning through money just for fun above. What you're doing is pretty much the epitome of that at this point. Hmph...irony.

@voyagerfan99 sentimental value means different things to different people. You need me to explain that to you?

I think Travis knows what sentimental means. I'd wager, however, that someone needs to explain to you about catching more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. Relax, and watch the tone, yeah?

jones-t

@porterjw I don't believe its "unfixable". Why do I say that? Because I fixed it twice already. As I wrote in a previous message (hidden underneath a lot of ranting) my way of repair is simply part replacement. There's no earthly reason a replacement RTC battery soundboard motherboard or 14.1 inch screen shouldn't result in "on" effect when I press the power button on my Toshiba Tecra 8100. asise from the hard drive SD ram card and dirty old plastic casing; I've replaced "old faulty" with "new functional" but a gremlin is still hiding somewhere in the machine. Laughing at me; a sort of electron game of hide and seek. Giving up to go buy some new shiny comp makes others feel better. Not me. Now at 42 or when I was a kid when my favorite watch broke - and all the store owner told me to do was buy a new one.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, if you have the money and time to waste on an ancient machine then go for it. If you've already replaced motherboard and processor then you can only assume that something is up with the replacement parts. Have you verified the hard drive is good? Sometimes a bad hard drive or other failed part will stop a pc from booting up. Disconnect cdrom drive and test as well.

We don't mean to make you mad or anything. Its just we can't understand why your spending money and time on something so old when its not worth it. Now if it was something more up to date, it might be worth it. How much money have you spent on it already?

jones-t

@Geoff you and all the other members tell me to simply junk it; write it off as one bad comp that simply won't work anymore #1 buy a new one and move on with my life #2 if for no other reason than to stop wasting money. Explain to me the mature deep psychological underpinnings of people who sit out in front of an apple store weeks leading up to its release of the latest i-product. Not because their current item is broken damaged lost or stolen; but because they want to be part of the Steve Jobs media event. Keeping in mind these i-items cost $500 +/-

jones-t

@porterjw and to answer your "what do I have on it that's so important" question - business plans (schematics) picture designs I'll likely never implement; a few chapters to my book I'll likely never get published. And a few alternative rock songs. Illegally downloaded of course.

jones-t

If brand new laptop computers cost the same as a restaurant sandwich made in 1940 (5¢) Id buy one every day of the week. Keep one by the bed. One in my travel pack; and one mounted next to the toilet. Because I hate getting up to put something on file only to have to sit back down and respread (Larry Craig)

jones-t

Luckily parts are cheap. I don't mind buying a truckload of parts so long as they're (what's the magic word) cheap.

beers

Staff member
Luckily parts are cheap.

How much have you spent trying to revive this system so far? What capabilities do you think it has even in a 100% working order?

If brand new laptop computers cost the same as a restaurant sandwich made in 1940 (5¢) Id buy one every day of the week.

If you rolled the time and effort you've put into your current system, you could easily have just gotten a brand new notebook that actually has enough capability to do modern things.

jones-t

@beers 2 LCD screens ($60) 4 motherboards ($60) 4 soundboards ($20 from one venue $20 from another) 1 RTC battery yeah. In essence I've bought a brand new laptop three times over. If that's your point; you don't need to make it. Primarily because I just did. So. What's the difference between buying a new comp and buying parts? Its a lot easier to come up with $20-60 every other week to fix than to come up with $450-600 on a swanky new comp with a lot if bells and whistles. - plus shipping/ handling (cause I'm not walking in to buy off the shelf again)

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
@porterjw and to answer your "what do I have on it that's so important" question - business plans (schematics) picture designs I'll likely never implement; a few chapters to my book I'll likely never get published. And a few alternative rock songs. Illegally downloaded of course.
Pull the hard drive, copy the files to another computer, and be done with it. Cause frankly all you're doing is whining. Clearly if you've thrown this much time and money into it and it still doesn't work, then it never will.

jones-t

@voyagerfan99 I'm in purgatory. Life conspires against me. Yes. I could pull the hard drive; take it to a comp repair place. Watch him yap for two minutes; fiddle with my comp for another eight. Magically "determine" that in order to recover my one file on a hard drive whose op system crashed which led me down this rusted razor bladed
rabbit hole only say its gonna cost me $450-1000? No thanks. I'm already bruised cut bleeding (metaphorically speaking) why give him the satisfaction I should be giving myself? The satisfaction is defeating the electron gremlin in my machine. Not giving a stranger money for doing six seconds of work when I "invested" almost three years.

jones-t

In all likelihood; the next computer (and the next; and the next and the next) I buy new used or from outter space - will "find a way" to torment me. Again and again and again.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
@voyagerfan99 I'm in purgatory. Life conspires against me. Yes. I could pull the hard drive; take it to a comp repair place. Watch him yap for two minutes; fiddle with my comp for another eight. Magically "determine" that in order to recover my one file on a hard drive whose op system crashed which led me down this rusted razor bladed
rabbit hole only say its gonna cost me $450-1000? No thanks. I'm already bruised cut bleeding (metaphorically speaking) why give him the satisfaction I should be giving myself? The satisfaction is defeating the electron gremlin in my machine. Not giving a stranger money for doing six seconds of work when I "invested" almost three years.
Wrong. You can spend $18 and do it yourself.

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISA...ie=UTF8&qid=1453592855&sr=8-1&keywords=vantec

jones-t

@voyagerfan99 I'm not talking about buying a nice external hard drive. Im talking about recovering a file through a damaged software in the internal one
from my comp. Something tells me it won't cost $18

jones-t

@voyagerfan99 oh and I forgot to ask - does this little piece of hardware you suggest I buy - come with windows (xp or other) preinstalled? I'm guessing no. But I'll let you answer that one.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You remove the drive from the bad computer and hook it up to that adapter he linked you to. Then you hook up the usb cable from the adapter to the computer you are on now and transfer the file over.

jones-t

@ et.all. (meaning everyone) i did read the link to the product. Vantec CB-ISATAUZ SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter supports 2.5 3.5 5.25 inch hard disk drive. What I didn't read are any specs. Details about the product. Instructions on how a user uses the product. I'm guessing so it won't be immediately returned by a customer complaining it doesn't work; work for what needs to be done. Things like that. Something Amazon forgot to type in the listing. Or do they just assume anyone buying it doesn't need any info beyond just the product cover.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.