Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Lenevo

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Gateway

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters

Java

Hi there, JLV2k5.

What laptop is best for you depends on what you are after. Generally speaking, i would go for a HP Pavillion or a Dell, however thats just my opinion. If you are after the best gaming performance, the Dell XPS range is for you. The XPS M1730 is the leading gaming laptop in the world, and if you're serious about your gaming, the XPS can be fitted with QuadCore processors (2.53GHz) or a DuoCore processor (3GHz). It is really a desktop replacement, as it can reach excrutiatingly hot temperatures and isn't something you want to be stuck with on the go. The amazing capabilities of an XPS will come at a price however, starting at $3000 for your basic XPS M1730. The XPS M1530 and the M1330 are a little more comforting financially and offer the portability and performance Dell is known for. If you are after a more business-orientated experience, may i suggest a smaller more portable notebook. Asus is you're specified brand in this genre; they are renound for their amazing battery life and portability. Moreover, if you are after a laptop which will give you all-round excellence, i would strongly suggest having a closer look at the HP range. You just can't seem to go wrong with an HP - one of the most reliable notebooks out.

I hope I have been of assistance!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I had a guy come into work looking for a "regular" laptop for his daughter. He decided to get her an ASUS Eee PC. He was complaining because it didn't have an optical drive (thats why he came to my computer store - to buy a different laptop). Needless to say he pissed me off because he failed to understand the uses of an Eee PC.

tlarkin

VIP Member
A man after my own heart :D

My last PC laptop was a few years ago and it was a small compact HP business class 12". That thing was rugged, ran like a hoss, and it never crashed. I ran mostly Linux on it, but on occasion boot into XP.

Then I got my first Macbook Pro, then I got my second Macbook Pro, and I don't think I am ever going to look back until I find the next laptop that blows me away.

However, HP business class (not their consumer ones) are great machines. Lenovo is good too, and I also do like some Acers and Asus ones. We just got a few thousand Acer Netbooks at work. I have to admit, they are pretty slick.

Hugh9191

I have an Acer netbook and I do rather like it specially now I have wiped the pre installed horrible mutation of Fedora 8 and installed Ubuntu 8.10 on it. I can now access my network drives, switch the automatic logon off and install things!! All the stuff you'd hope for really.

But for a full size laptop I think I'd go for a HP or a Dell if I was paying for it and a Levono if someone else was or money wasn't a factor! The Levonos are designed very nicely and have keyboards second to none!

bomberboysk

I would have to vote out of the ones in the poll, lenovo. But overall i think that asus makes the best notebooks for the $, and for the price the features on the notebooks cant be beat. Compaq and hp have let me down in the quality of their product twice now, so i dont plan on ever buying another hp(hp and compaq are same company for those who dont know) notebook.

tlarkin

VIP Member
My vote goes for Macbook Pro but it isn't listed. It can run any OS, has great specs, 1" thick, light weight, tons of features, and OS X.