What brand of laptop is best

bengal85

I am going to be purchasing a laptop for College here in a few weeks and I wondered what is best out of the brands I have in my mind? They are

Acer
Dell
Hp
Compaq
toshiba (Only if they had a sweet deal would I go with this I think)

any opinions or suggestion would be helpful

Gareth

My favourite brand of laptop is Dell business series (Vostro/Latitude etc). Because they look professional, dead reliable and unlike many, are designed for transport.

My Dad flies between the UK and USA every 2 weeks for the past few years, with flights in between to places such as Canada, Brussels, France etc and his Latitude D630, which is 2 years old, has not failed/broke once.

Andy-

My Dad flies between the UK and USA every 2 weeks for the past few years, with flights in between to places such as Canada, Brussels, France etc and his Latitude D630, which is 2 years old, has not failed/broke once.

If you take care of your notebook - Secure it, not a lot of downloads, clean, update it -, it won't really matter what manufacturer your notebook belongs to, just depends on how you use it, and it's components.

Gareth

I don't mean the software end, I mean the physical hardware and strength, as when you travel, the laptop sure does get thrown around.

Andy-

Ah, well, any notebook that breaks at sudden impact( minor impact ) shouldn't really be bought.

But, it is true tho, I had a Dell notebook a couple of years ago, didn't fail me once.

PabloTeK

My HP is a pile to be honest, nasty plastics, screen flex (caused damage to the screen as a result), it's oddly slow and the HDD squeals at me for no reason. Plus lets not forget the 45 mins battery life, down from 1h 45! I'd go for the Dell.

Aastii

VIP Member
I have 2 laptops in my house, one of which is advent, the other is packard bell. The packard bell one doesn't move ever but is 2 years old and the screen has gone, got lines going down it, the advent hoever i am surprised at. It has, quite litteraly, been dropped, thrown around, basically had the crap beaten out of it and still works a dream!! Only ever had one problem but that was software related that was easily fixed by rolling back, but they are a good make.

From the list you have got, Dell would be good for reliability, robustness and looks, Toshiba are good for the same reasons, however are not quite so tough from experience

Andy-

Also, as a notice:
Do not get HP, my mom had an HP notebook, a minor fall broke the screen holders (metal) into half, and now the screen is only linked to the notebook by a wire.

I know a couple of friends (about 6) with HP notebooks who had the same accident.

Hugh9191

I have a Dell Latitude C840 (which is 7 years old) as my main laptop. I don't need much more for a laptop as my desktop fulfils most of my needs but I have to say, it's an excellent machine!

It runs quickly, is upgraded easily and built like a tank (albeit at the expense of portability). It is massive (fat and heavy) but I love it!

My Dell is a fantastic machine and if they still build them like they did 7 years ago then it will last you a long time!

Aastii

VIP Member
Also, as a notice:
Do not get HP, my mom had an HP notebook, a minor fall broke the screen holders (metal) into half, and now the screen is only linked to the notebook by a wire.

I know a couple of friends (about 6) with HP notebooks who had the same accident.

If you want to fix that you can ghetto fix with new screws or a couple of cable ties, it will keep the screen up and hopefully lengthen the life at the very least, even if it doesn't look the bast

Andy-

If you want to fix that you can ghetto fix with new screws or a couple of cable ties, it will keep the screen up and hopefully lengthen the life at the very least, even if it doesn't look the bast

She got the right metal piece from Ebay, just need to find a left one.

It's really easy to fix, but easier to break.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well, my favorite laptop is the Macbook Pro, but not everyone wants a Mac.

If I were to get a PC laptop again I would get one of the following:

Asus
Lenovo
HP Business Class (not their consumer end machines)

All other laptops are so/so and I think Dells suck.

dznutz

like pc's laptops are made from components from everywhere. and not all brands put together their stuff

gamblingman

VIP Member
New Laptop

Yea a new computer, that is always fun.

I read your question, and the replies. I bet your having a hard time deciding what kind to buy based on the replies as everyone is puttin in their own two cents.

The first thing I thought was, What do you like to do with it?

Are you the type that will carry it all over campus, to classes, to the pool hall for musci, to to gf/bf 's home, play games, or will it sit on the table never moving and only used for school stuff and email?

What kind of life do you like to live? wild and adventurous? Do you go through a lot of cell phones every year ( like more than 3)? Are you more of a homebody? Will other people be using it too?

Do you like shiny stuff and thin or do you not care much about aesthetics?

Will you be typing a lot of word-papers and excel-type of documents?

how much money are you really willing to spend? (for instance I spent $3000 on mine, my gf spent $900 on hers)

Do you go to Starbucks a lot? Will you carry it around a lot?

Is it really rainy where you are? It there the potential for it getting wet often? Is it really dusty there?

How much can you carry, weight wise and still be comfortable?

Try simulating with bags of flour if your not sure. 10 pounds may not seem like much now but after you climb some stairs and walk all over town it might be killing you.

Do you mind buying online or do you prefer department stores or a local computer store?

How long does it need to last; 2 years? 10 years?

Do you want service plans or are you ok on your own?

Do you like package deals or would you prefer to buy everything separate?

Its a lot of questions, I know. but these should help you to narrow your search. These are the same kind of questions I asked myself when i buy computers.

speedyink

VIP Member
I can vouch for Dell and Asus myself. My Dell has worked great for 2 years, still pretty much like the day I bought it with a few minor scratches and scuffs. Also easily upgraded to pretty much current day specs (added more ram and bigger hdd). I haven't had my Asus EEE for as long (5 months) but it's held up well. I dunno about Asus' notebooks though, as my friends fairly recent one is kind of falling apart, with some plastic bits falling off and overheating problems. I think thats a more common thing with gaming notebooks though.