What brand of laptop is best

A Cheese Danish

Lenovo is what I currently own. They are used mainly for business purposes but I still manage to game on it :D
Also, Asus, some HP's, and Dell's are also good.
The higher end Acer's are pretty top notch as well.

brunoxyz

I got an Acer laptop recently with lots of features and it's fast. I have had it for 3 months now and I'm extremely happy with it.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4219298&CatId=17

from personal experience I hate HP and Compaq, too much bloatware, and parts are not good quality for compaq.

I hate Dell but they never break and work fine,, so should consider those too.

Lenovo and toshiba seem atractive to me but I haven't had one.

bomberboysk

Dont know if anyone has meentioned this yet, but if you go with an asus they throw in a one year accidental damage warranty for free that includes fire/water/drops/spills etc. Plus for the money you get alot of good specs for the price.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Dont know if anyone has meentioned this yet, but if you go with an asus they throw in a one year accidental damage warranty for free that includes fire/water/drops/spills etc. Plus for the money you get alot of good specs for the price.

I was unaware of the accidental damage warranty, that is interesting you have any links on that?

bomberboysk

I was unaware of the accidental damage warranty, that is interesting you have any links on that?

just go to their website, or go to the newegg warranty page. All notebooks(eg- NOT netbooks, except for the N10 as its made by the asus notebook division vs eee division) are covered under 2 year standard warranty, and one year accidental damage.

Euklid

If I was buying another notebook (which I probably will never do again),
it will be an Apple Macbook Pro.

Apple is coming out with laptop batteries that last up to 4x as long
(4 years - as opposed to standard 1 year).

Another reason is cheap cases and poor design. I bought a Dell and had
nasty-looking stains from my palms around the keyboard within 1 month.
I contacted Dell, they wouldn't replace this defect. Similar happened to
Apple, and Apple recalled all those effected laptops.

Another reason is Mac OS X. When there is a new version, you can
get a family bundle to install on up to 5 computers for ~$125.

And another reason - heating. My Dell got extremely hot very
quickly. It was uncomfortable to use the keyboard because all the heat
went to my hands. I'm not sure how much heat effects Apple laptops,
but I would guess they have better design.

Last edited:

dannaswolcott

Toshiba, Gateway, HP/Compaq are great laptops. I love my Toshiba, Very reliable, fast and strong. I have dropped it one time and not a scratch or anything. Very reliable. Highly recommend it. Yah they are $$ but they are worth it.

Chris PCX

Most laptops are pretty much the same. We repair laptops everyday in our shop. The most popular brand we see in here for service is the Sony Vaio. So I would stay away from Sony. Dell seems to be good and runs fast since they don't install a lot of free software, plus they offer a 3 year guarantee. Always make sure you have a long guarantee when you buy a laptop.

bomberboysk

Most laptops are pretty much the same. We repair laptops everyday in our shop. The most popular brand we see in here for service is the Sony Vaio. So I would stay away from Sony. Dell seems to be good and runs fast since they don't install a lot of free software, plus they offer a 3 year guarantee. Always make sure you have a long guarantee when you buy a laptop.

Dell only includes a one year warranty on their notebooks, you have to pay to get a longer warranty. And as far as dont install alot of free stuff...lol, dell for one disables the vista sidebar and puts their own branded rocketdock onto computers. Plus all other sorts of trialware...

Hugh9191

HP seem to be the worst at installing bloatware on their PCs. They put loads of crap you don't want there. Dell seem to but some on but not as much as HP. The HP laptops seem to be nice on the hardware side of things though.

I don't think there's one brand who make nicer laptops than the others, I think that they all make some bad and some good laptops.

Gareth

HP seem to be the worst at installing bloatware on their PCs. They put loads of crap you don't want there. Dell seem to but some on but not as much as HP. The HP laptops seem to be nice on the hardware side of things though.

The Dell business series does not have bloatware on at all, just a clean install of Vista :)

wardhanster

well each people will have there own review abt the laptop companies and models ... the names that u suggested are all best.... but personaly speaking go for a Hp or Dell (dell offers customization option). so choice is yours.
what i use is HCL i prefer Hcl over hp.... for many issues like pricing and design.... hp pavilion laptops has an issue of heating due to their exhaust location.... placed unthoughtfully. And some times i think its a lil bit overpriced... well for Hcls u can have a hp compitable system at 40-45k (INR) max...
check out avaiblity of laptops around your area ....

Last edited:

bengal85

Yeah I could probably get a longer lasting warranty from another company though I think Dell's standard waranty is 2 years and extended id like 4 (not sure though)

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yeah I could probably get a longer lasting warranty from another company though I think Dell's standard waranty is 2 years and extended id like 4 (not sure though)

I was a warranty service tech for years. I can tell you no one that I know of has more than 1 year warranty and covers screen or accidental damages. The only exception would be business class machines do carry longer warranties at times.

bomberboysk

I was a warranty service tech for years. I can tell you no one that I know of has more than 1 year warranty and covers screen or accidental damages. The only exception would be business class machines do carry longer warranties at times.

Read it, that is for barebones notebooks.Also, amny manufactureres are starting to include a two year warranty on some of their notebooks.(I know gateway offers a free 2 year warranty on some of their more costly notebooks)

A quick google of "asus free accidental damage" comes up with this:
http://www.notebooks.com/2007/09/14...ear-accidental-damage-warranty-for-notebooks/

The new ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty covers any and all accidental damage to your ASUS notebook, as long as it’s purchased after September 10, 2007. This includes spills, drops, cracked displays and any other abuse that results in a busted system.