What Brand?

JamesBart

i need a laptop for work and im not sure who to go with! so this is what i need in it. so recommendations would be great.

2gb ram
a big 7200rpm hdd
a good ATI graphics card
15" screen
very good processor.

what you recommend? :D

Ben

VIP Member
£1600

what would you recommend?

:)

Hmm..I forgot to ask, what will you be using it for? And also, I'm not sure of many UK sites with computers, so you might not get a whole lot of options, but I'll do my best.

Last edited:

JamesBart

Thanks man!

Hmm..I forgot to ask, what will you be using it for? And also, I'm not sure of many UK sites with computers, so you might not get a whole lot of options, but I'll do my best.

Hi Halian! well what i will be using it for is After affects, editing, photoshop etc. i like the look of the first laptop and i was thinking that i could always just put some more RAM in as i dont think i would even then stretch my budget.

also with regards to the first laptop how good is the processor? im still reallu unsure about the core 2 duo's? i havent had any expericnce with them yet! i just want a really good processor.

Thanks for you help man! :D

Ben

VIP Member
also with regards to the first laptop how good is the processor? im still reallu unsure about the core 2 duo's? i havent had any expericnce with them yet! i just want a really good processor.

Thanks for you help man! :D

In my opinion, the Core 2 Duo's are the best processors out there right now. Performance wise, they cream AMD's AM2 socket. I would highly recommend using the Core 2 Duo, especially the one in that laptop, it would last you for a while.

Ben

VIP Member
I wouldn't recommend getting Alienware. As you know, they are gaming laptops. And good ones, but only for a while. I've heard horror stories about how they only last for a year, then you have to get parts replaced, and people just say it's a pain. The HP that I have shown you is perfect for your needs, and they have excellent customer service.

Geoff

VIP Member
The Dell Inspiron E1705 is a great laptop and have reasonable prices to.

You can get a Core 2 Duo up to 2.4Ghz, up to 4GB of DDR2-667, and a 7900GS 256MB.

Ben

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];605397 said:
The Dell Inspiron E1705 is a great laptop and have reasonable prices to.

You can get a Core 2 Duo up to 2.4Ghz, up to 4GB of DDR2-667, and a 7900GS 256MB.

Does it ship to the UK?

JamesBart

Even Better

In my opinion, the Core 2 Duo's are the best processors out there right now. Performance wise, they cream AMD's AM2 socket. I would highly recommend using the Core 2 Duo, especially the one in that laptop, it would last you for a while.

Thats what i like to hear! i want maybes a year out of it! its going to take a beating! lots of traveling etc! :D

thanks also for the link Hanzu. looks a nice little laptop!

also thinking i might just put a a 7200rpm hdd in it! better performance and that. ive been looking at some of the dell ones and its not the card that i want.

i'll be using this pro www.resolume.com and this is why i will be needing it for traveling and the ATI card!

Thanks guys! keep the links coming and suggestions :D

Hanzu

stuff doesnt need to be replaced if its taken care of, laptop isnt a desktop. if peopel use a laptop as a real desktop replacement, the best laptop will need repair every now and then.

JamesBart

Just so you know...

Just to let you guys know. i have a budget and with the laptops that i have been looking at i will use the rest to get replacment hdd's etc. its not a problem!

keep the link coming please and more suggestions!!! :D

JamesBart

another question that i have about the XPS is...

it has an nvidia card in it and i would prefer a ATI. could i change cards? also it comes with vista but i dont want to run Vista so i will be insatlling XP. will that be a preblem?

thanks

Ben

VIP Member
another question that i have about the XPS is...

it has an nvidia card in it and i would prefer a ATI. could i change cards? also it comes with vista but i dont want to run Vista so i will be insatlling XP. will that be a preblem?

thanks

It shouldn't be a problem if you just format the hard drive, and I don't know about the Video Card, that's why I picked one out with ATI in it. :) Any particular reason you don't want Nvidia?

JamesBart

It shouldn't be a problem if you just format the hard drive, and I don't know about the Video Card, that's why I picked one out with ATI in it. :) Any particular reason you don't want Nvidia?

so just a format for the and then install XP. thats cool.

also its for this program that i use. check the FAQ's it recommends ATI for better overscan etc.

www.resolume.com

i think nvida would be ok but i want the best for the money im buying :D