what do they mean by clearing cmos "like do i turn the computer on when its switched?

Dilly man 2

well, my gay computer is dead....

its really weird.
why does the keyboard only not work, the mouse lights up and reacts to movement "the optical laser gets bright when you move it"
but the keyboard is a no go, on both the usb and regular spot...

anyway, im gona try to clear cmos. now what should i do to clear it?

like turn everything off on the computer. no power to mobo.

then i pull the jumper off and switch it and wait 10 seconds and put it back or do i turn the computer on when the jumper is switched?

vortmax

i've never done the jumper trick. I've alway pulled the CMOS battery, unplugged the PS and hit the power button

Dilly man 2

ok, itried just unplugging stuff and hitting power.
the keyboard did work and now my windows wont load, i had to put in disk and its on a blue screen with things loading on the bottom

Dilly man 2

updates:

mobo cant be fried, my keyboard IS working
now, more great horrible news...

something is not detecting my current windows stuff. it makes me put in the windows XP disk because of boot falure. i put in the disk, hit enter and a blue screen apears and it has things loading on the bottom.

after its all done loading, something goes wrong and cannot load.

ill try it again and see if i can get better details

edit:
yes, says
Boot from CD
failure from loading you operating system or something like that. Is my harddrive mest up? something not plugged in right?

now, blue screen, its loading from CD
you can see everything its loading

now, i press recovery run.
then it says no hdd is present
is there a posibility it is fried, besides user error?
ill check to make sure its all plugged in right.

-Joe
:(

Last edited:

vortmax

go into the bois setup and see if the bios can see it. Make sure it's at the top of the boot order list, just under the CD drive. If it isn't there, then verify that all cables are plugged in tight. If they are, put the drive on another connector. If both fail, then the HD is most likley toast.

If it is, then make sure you don't have a floppy in the drive and restart.

It would really help if you could post the error message verbatum.

Did this just happen out of the blue? Have you recently installed new hardware? How old is the drive? Any strange noises or vibrations?

I have heard of some SATA drives not liking XP until you manually install the drivers by hitting F-6 during set up (RAID driver install). Since you had it running tho, I can't imagine this being the case, unless you tried to update some drivers and killed that particular one.

Dilly man 2

k i got all this crap running now.
good news i guess...

now i installed "most of half life:2"

i got through all 5 CDs and theres an error about steam being unable to load something with the library. Wtf is this ?
do i need the internet?

it says
Error: unable to load library steam.dll

HELP

Last edited:

Dilly man 2

ok, i dont have internet on my other computer "the one i just built"

here is the EXACT! name of the whatever you call it.
and this happens when i click on anything that has to do with playing HL.

steam.exe (main exeption) : Unable to load library Steam.dll

Dilly man 2

I realized something...

this game is not asking for a CD key at all.
i just started installing the 5 disks, it finsishes and then this

this is so f**king STUPID
alsmost all of my software is messed up
first the psu EXPLODED, then windows didnt give me a key number, then my keyboard didnt work for 2 days, now this sh**.

why me?

Lax

VIP Member
If the computer is giving you this much trouble just do a full format, re-partition it, and re-install everything. Backup all the data you need on DVD/CD or another HDD and go nuts.

Dilly man 2

so anthrax, you say uninstall ALL my drivers and re install them all?

and 34ed, i dont have the internet on that computer yet and i have no account. i just put all the disks in and the installed...w/o a cd key but it gave me this lovely little message

What does this exactly mean?
what is the library steam.dll

and what does main exeption mean?

Dilly man 2

wow....
im pissed the fu** off.

the thing froze, now when i go to restart it it just sits on a blacks screen and the little green LED on my mobo is stuck on this number 9.0 or 0.9

kill me please
should i just clear cmos?

vortmax

you haven't cleared the CMOS yet?

Somehow get it to boot back into windows. Back up your files and wipe that drive clean. Leave no survivors. That is what anthrax is telling you to do and I tend to concur. If you can't get it to boot to back up your files, then this experience will teach you all about the importance of data redundancy, or at least keeping your important stuff on a drive seperate from the windows root.

Dilly man 2

you dont understand, the computer wont even allow me to see anything on the moniter...

so what am i supposed to do?

and if i do have to clear my cmos, give me exact instructions on how to!

-Joe

34erd

Find the jumper, switch it to the next pins, then put it back and boot. Usualy 3 seconds is long enough but you might want to do it for like 10 minutes to make sure everything is cleared.

welcome to the world of building your own computer
Heheh, yeahhhhhhh.... for some reason my build went perfect... guess I was lucky. I pitty thee, Dilly man 2.

Last edited:

Dilly man 2

ok, i know where the cmos jumper thing is, completely turn off the computer and then jump the switch.

do i leave the computer off when the switch is jumped?
or do i turn the computer on when it is jumped?