what do they mean by clearing cmos "like do i turn the computer on when its switched?

34erd

You leave it off while it is switched, then once its back in its original spot you turn the computer on.

34erd

Just like 5 seconds is enough, if it still doesnt boot try longer.

It doesnt clear any hard drive info. It clears all the info on the CMOS (the chip that recognizes and configure your hardware) to default for your hardware. So your computer should boot up like the first time it did.

Once you get your computer to boot then you can reformat your drive.

Dilly man 2

ok, i just started diconnecting things again and put them all bak in. now it works, i dunno what up with this thing. i there a chance that some of my hardware dont like eachother? ie: RAM and CPU.

or is my mobo has dead or something?

i is on and running right now and i never jumped the CMOS yet

-joe

Dilly man 2

windows lever loaded when it actually worked....

so i got pissed.

i jumped the CMOS and it still didnt work!

i am almost 95% sure my mobo is fried. any input?

Lax

VIP Member
Jump the CMOS for ~1 minute. Put the jumper back and then remove the battery for another ~1 minute. Put it back in and start up the computer and immediately go into the BIOS and set the boot order as 1. CD-ROMS 2. Floppy (if you have one) 3. Hard Disk Drives. Open the drive and put in your Windows XP CD, save the changes and let it restart. Once it restarts boot from the CD and delete your partition on your main drive (C) This will remove EVERYTHING from the drive so if you want any data backed up you will have to boot into safe mode first and burn a CD or stick it on another drive. After you delete the partition recreate it (usually c) and then do a full format (not quick format) of that partition. After it's done re-install Windows XP and THEN re-install all your drivers, usually in order of System, graphical, sound, then all the other stuff you may need for any PCI cards or USB ports. After all that is said and done and you're STILL having problems with your machine post back with an update.

Dilly man 2

i had the cmos jumped for 20 some seconds and it just loads and sits there on a black screen.

you knoe that led number thing on the mobo, it stays at "9.0."

the battery is kinda hard to get out but ill see if i can get it too

vortmax

also, when you pull the battery per Anthrax's instructions, unplug the main power cord from the back of the computer and hit the power button a few times. This will discharge the system and "should" clear the CMOS itself.

Dilly man 2

ok, quick question:

for power down, do i make it so EVERYTHING is off in the computer.
like hold the front soft button and turn part of the computer off, then i go and turn the psu off?

or do i leave it so the LEDs are still on on the mobo but the cpu and stuff are not running?

Dilly man 2

oh ok, i just took out the battery and left it off for 40seconds and put it in,

ill do it again and hit the front power switch a couple of times

vortmax

a completely powered down system will have no lights on AT ALL. You unplug the wall plug from the back of the PS, so no juice is getting to the computer. Doesn't matter if the PS is switched on or off. You will notice that some mobo leds will still be on. remove the CMOS battery. Hit the power button. You can hear it discharge. Now the computer is electrically dead. There is no stored potential, all capacators are discharged.

replace battery, plug back in and restart. Go into BIOS and reconfigure

Dilly man 2

ok, i pulled the battery and jumped the jumper.
i then hit the power a couple of times with everything unplugged, "psu switch"

plugged the stuff back in and still does the same thing....

it doesnt load much.
there is no image on the screen the cd drive loads and then the motherboard LED sits on the number 9.0.

the fans run, the video card and cpu fans run and thats basicly it, besides the leds on the mobo

anything?

Dilly man 2

he didnt think that the mobo was bad actually.

it has its post code 9.0. which means Complete uGuru intial process
then it stops at that number.

i have no image on the moniter. All the LEDs on the video card and motherboard work.
we shut down computer, jumped cmos and took out battery for about 2minutes or so.
changed some cables and it still does the same exact thing :/

so im calling Abit tomorow and ill see what those bastards say.

is there a chance that more than my mobo is blown?
its really weird, i installed my new psu and it booted up.
got it running and was on windows for like 2-3 hours. then windows Froze and i had no choice but to shutdown.
now it doesnt do anything

Dilly man 2

i actually like that guess, believe or not.
its just a relief to know its dead, i mean thank you antec for your wonderful
faulty psu.

is there a chance something else is dead?

Dilly man 2

is there a chance anything else will be dead?

i mean, i just had it running too. sometimes it works and 90% of the time it wont.
i just think its half way dead
as for removing the battery, when i booted i just did last best working configuration, cause i knew the mobo is half dead...