What Do You DISLIKE About Windows 7

Twist86

So no OS is without flaw ESPECIALLY when its made by Microsoft so the question is simple.

What do you dislike about Windows 7. No limits to your dislikes :)

Fatback

VIP Member
The same thing I hate about all the OS's THE PRICE. On topic I haven't used 7 enough to find flaws I had it on my computer for all of a week until I removed it.

Laquer Head

-Overhyped
-Price
-Not enough changes to warrant said price
-Far to many versions
-Search feature remains poor
-Slow boot up
-Glitches with setting up 'Home Group'
-Periodically freezes
-RAM issues even with 64-bit o/s
-Doesn't like some programs/drivers
-Upgrade advisor says things will be fine--windows 7 doesn't like it

-There are more, but it might just be a matter of me testing it more!

Aastii

VIP Member
You use it and you think "isn't this Vista, but with stuff taken away?"

I know there is a saying/proverb/quote or whatever it is of "an inventor cannot claim to have reached perfection when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away". But in this case i say no, bullcrap, i want more stuff for my £180

they should have put mor useful stuff in rather than take away stuff from Vista.

However, that said, they have taken away the "are you sure, i asked you only 2 clicks ago, but just to clarify certainly, are you sure you are sure" haven't they? If so, that is a +1 in my books

Laquer Head

You use it and you think "isn't this Vista, but with stuff taken away?"

I know there is a saying/proverb/quote or whatever it is of "an inventor cannot claim to have reached perfection when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away". But in this case i say no, bullcrap, i want more stuff for my £180

they should have put mor useful stuff in rather than take away stuff from Vista.

However, that said, they have taken away the "are you sure, i asked you only 2 clicks ago, but just to clarify certainly, are you sure you are sure" haven't they? If so, that is a +1 in my books

The UAC is still there, and you still gotta turn it off or turn it down to a lesser setting!

Windows7 is Vista2 (Vista stripped down, with nothing that redeeming to it)

speedyink

VIP Member
what much needed features in Vista were taken away? Dreamscenes? please.

In exchange you get:

-faster bootup
-faster gereral performance
-less system requirements
-still has all the features most people loved about Vista, but runs much better and a few things have been tweaked for the better.

Is it enough to warrant the price? No maybe, but I never paid for my Vista so I don't mind paying for the much appreciated update. Plus, technet makes the price a tad easier to digest.

Now, to the topic. Uhh, I guess what i dislike most is the new windows media player layout.

aviation_man

The UAC is still there, and you still gotta turn it off or turn it down to a lesser setting!

Oh shoot, I guess I'm going to die because I have to click 7 times :O
I think the UAC is a good idea, grant it, some people hate it because it annoys them, but I'm not someone who can get annoyed THAT easily. And besides, it's for security.

Anyway, it's a heck of an improvement from Vista.
Although I do have to agree, SOME programs don't like it, but nothing that I'm going to cry over.
And the WMP hasn't changed it's version on it, has it?
But, overall, there are more pros to it than there are cons.

Laquer Head

Oh shoot, I guess I'm going to die because I have to click 7 times :O
I think the UAC is a good idea, grant it, some people hate it because it annoys them, but I'm not someone who can get annoyed THAT easily. And besides, it's for security

Thats not what I meant, I just was just confirming the 'if so,' at the end of aastii 's post!:good:

And I only had to click 3 times, not 7:D

Bodaggit23

-Overhyped
-Search feature remains poor
-Slow boot up
-Glitches with setting up 'Home Group'
-Periodically freezes
-RAM issues even with 64-bit o/s
-Doesn't like some programs/drivers
-Upgrade advisor says things will be fine--windows 7 doesn't like it

What are the specs of the machine you installed it on?

Sounds like inferior hardware to me, because I've experienced none of your "anomaly's" on any of the system's I've installed it on.

Keep in mind people, that it's not up to Microsoft to build drivers for programs.

It's up to the software manufacturers. So, don't blame Microsoft when your favorite program doesn't work with an OS.

FairDoos

I personally dont like the look of the interface and i hated the Vista look aswell i thought they would of changed it more but no oh and its not free :)

funkysnair

VIP Member
i dont hate anything about it what so ever, i have had it on my pc for a few months now and love it!!!

xp lovers keep hating xx

Laquer Head

What are the specs of the machine you installed it on?

Sounds like inferior hardware to me, because I've experienced none of your "anomaly's" on any of the system's I've installed it on.

Keep in mind people, that it's not up to Microsoft to build drivers for programs.

It's up to the software manufacturers. So, don't blame Microsoft when your favorite program doesn't work with an OS.

I'm running a quad-core phenom II, 8GB DDR3, 4890 gpu, blue ray...etc etc.

Hardly inferior!

And obviously I know its not microsofts job to build drivers for 3rd party things but then they shouldn't have built their upgrade advisor to lead people to believe the upgrade will be 100% smooth.

Overall windows7 is nothing special, just a rebadged vista with a few fixes.

And the bootup is very slow!

Shutdown is friggin quick however!

Bodaggit23

I personally dont like the look of the interface and i hated the Vista look aswell i thought they would of changed it more but no oh and its not free :)

The Vista interface is exactly like XP, except Aero makes everything look better.

Not sure what you mean by that.

I'm running a quad-core phenom II, 8GB DDR3, 4890 gpu, blue ray...etc etc.

Hardly inferior!

And the bootup is very slow!

You've got hardware issues if Windows 7 boots slow on that machine.

I installed it on an X2 5000+ with 2Gigs of RAM and it boots in about 45 seconds.

Last edited:

PC Hobbyist

....Overall windows7 is nothing special, just a rebadged vista with a few fixes.
And the bootup is very slow!....

Yes, Win 7 is a rebadged Vista, but with a few VERY NICE AND NEEDED fixes! It is not the bloated OS that Vista is.
And bootup is faster than any OS I've used on my PC (and it's a 6-year old Pentium 4 with 2.6 GHz and 1.5GB RAM). So it does seems that you have some issue on that nice machine of yours (and I do mean nice - I wish I had one like it :)).

What I wish Win7 could do is show me folder properties for the selected folder(s) in the bottom bar of the explorer window, just like it does for single files. It's a bit annoying having to right-click on a folder - then choose properties to finally see how large the folder is. Why can't they just display that info in the bottom bar?

In general I really like Win7 and I don't have any big complaints at all.

Aastii

VIP Member
what much needed features in Vista were taken away? Dreamscenes? please.

In exchange you get:

-faster bootup
-faster gereral performance
-less system requirements
-still has all the features most people loved about Vista, but runs much better and a few things have been tweaked for the better.

Is it enough to warrant the price? No maybe, but I never paid for my Vista so I don't mind paying for the much appreciated update. Plus, technet makes the price a tad easier to digest.

Now, to the topic. Uhh, I guess what i dislike most is the new windows media player layout.

lol, dreamscene is pointless, that was such a waste of developement time.

Honestly though, i can't remember the stuff i was pissy about them taking away, i got win7 months ago, have been running vista since and not really thought about it so it isn't there in my head any more.

I can see myself using it when i have the money for ultimate again and seeing the stuff that i want still from vista, but sticking with it anyway to get used to it, like i did with vista from xp, only the difference being even though i wasn't used to it, imediately i prefered it over XP sooooo much.

My whole point about the stuff taken away though is this:

apart from the dreamscene, ask about clicking everything and a couple of uneeded system processes, vista was amazing, yea it could have benefitted from a few extra things, but nothing really needed taking away, so why microsoft saw the need to remove some stuff, i don't understand, especially for the price. And also, another point i was trying to get at, as i said, it is vista on a diet. It is meant to be a NEW OS, not some shitty little rip off of the last one they made with some stuff taken off, that completely makes the point of gettinga new OS pointless, you gain nothing, but you lose stuff. Yea you may get slightly faster boot times, but i for one never sit infront of my system while it boots, i will push the button then go do something and come back a few minutes later, so it will have well booted, the faster speeds mean naff all to me and it seems that is all that 7 has going for it

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
here is what bugs me, but this has bugged me about every version of Windows to date, well I think that XP Pro was probably the best OS they ever made.

• Price
    Cluttered Control panels
    Unintuitive navigation
    too many services running
    lack of POSIX
    lack of command line
    clunky registry and no self contained apps
    DRM
    WMP

After I strip things out of it, turn everything back to classic mode, get my drivers set up, install power shell and the extra command line packages I have almost what I want.

Why have the command line? Simple, when it crashes (not a matter of if, but when) you can rebuild a lot and fix a lot from booting the command line and avoid reloading the OS. Plus I like to batch (script) things into automation.

The rest of it is pretty self explanatory though. 7 is not a horrible OS, but I will reserve my actual opinion when I get the official release version. Microsoft has been known to dump features at the last minute and has been known to add a bunch of useless crap also at the last minute. Vista was a disaster in my opinion.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love the performance difference in 7 going from Vista....it was huge.

what i dont like about 7 is though.

The new Taskbar...just dont like it,I have it set like Vistas.

Action centre...not sure if this was in Vista too? but even though i have security installed it tells me i dont lol.

Price....even though ive managed to pre-order mine on the £44.99 deal,i think the standard price for windows 7 is still too high.

Also i read somewhere that Xp mode will not be included in any versions of 7 exept pro and Ultimate?

that sucks big time if its true....it should be included in all versions!!!

Bodaggit23

I'd like some examples of what features were removed from Vista to Windows 7.

As for gaining "nothing", there's plenty of improvements.

Killer Taskbar
Jump Lists
Desktop "Peek"
Windows Snap (snaps a window to the side of the screen)
Improved organization of the Search feature
Homegroup

Plus the fact that it runs lighter and quicker.

Ps. Vista has never crashed on any pc I've had it installed on. :good: