What Do You DISLIKE About Windows 7

gamerman4

I would rather have to modify 1000 registry entries than use OSXs mouse acceleration curve. Besides, its not that hard to modify the registry, its hardly different than Windows own folder/file structure. It is a pain when the registry is the only way to fix it (since that isn't the way thing are meant to be fixed) but its not so much of a pain. So far the only registry fix I've done with Win7 is to speed up the mouse hover of 7's taskbar.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I would rather have to modify 1000 registry entries than use OSXs mouse acceleration curve. Besides, its not that hard to modify the registry, its hardly different than Windows own folder/file structure. It is a pain when the registry is the only way to fix it (since that isn't the way thing are meant to be fixed) but its not so much of a pain. So far the only registry fix I've done with Win7 is to speed up the mouse hover of 7's taskbar.

Mouse acceleration curve?

Here is why the registry blows....

Share library files in registry which is convoluted, and not very straight forward, instead of self contained applications with a share library folder. For example, since you brought up a Mac, all applications in OS X are self contained and live in /Applications. Application suites that share fonts, plug ins, and so forth are also installed in /Applications but the share library files live in /Library/Application Support/<appname>

I know where everything is, I can just over write those files with fresh ones, and I can edit them to customize them.

Where as the registry I have to go into a clunky registry editor, read through ridiculous keys, and find the setting I want.

Bodaggit23

Google tweaks, configurations and fixes and you will find plenty of tech articles that refer to the registry. Also, try deploying Windows massively to thousands of clients, you will get to work with the registry plenty.

So, you've had these issues with Windows 7?

Or are you referring to the "Almighty XP" that you're so fond of?

Deploying the Mac OS to thousands of clients works well? lol

gamerman4

Mouse acceleration curve?

Here is why the registry blows....

Share library files in registry which is convoluted, and not very straight forward, instead of self contained applications with a share library folder. For example, since you brought up a Mac, all applications in OS X are self contained and live in /Applications. Application suites that share fonts, plug ins, and so forth are also installed in /Applications but the share library files live in /Library/Application Support/<appname>

I know where everything is, I can just over write those files with fresh ones, and I can edit them to customize them.

Where as the registry I have to go into a clunky registry editor, read through ridiculous keys, and find the setting I want.

The OSX has a absolute crap mouse acceleration curve. Compared to Windows, moving the cursor across the screen feels like moving your mouse through molasses.
Here is an article on it http://db.tidbits.com/article/8893

This is the number one reason I absolutely hate OSX. I have to crank the sensitivity of my mouse on OSX all the way up to get it even remotely responsive, compared to only 3 notches up on Windows.

tlarkin

VIP Member
So, you've had these issues with Windows 7?

Or are you referring to the "Almighty XP" that you're so fond of?

Deploying the Mac OS to thousands of clients works well? lol

No, no one has ever deployed Windows 7 yet as it is not released, and my statement was a general one since windows 7 still uses a registry.

Yes, deploying software and OSes on Macs is super easy. Last summer I deployed a dual boot image with boot camp to 6,000 Macbooks and did them all in about 5 weeks.

http://tlarkin.com/blog/summer-projects

The OSX has a absolute crap mouse acceleration curve. Compared to Windows, moving the cursor across the screen feels like moving your mouse through molasses.
Here is an article on it http://db.tidbits.com/article/8893

This is the number one reason I absolutely hate OSX. I have to crank the sensitivity of my mouse on OSX all the way up to get it even remotely responsive, compared to only 3 notches up on Windows.

Hmm, that is strange. I am running 10.5.8 on my iMac at work and my tracking speed is one click after the center and my mouse moves rather responsively.

I would probably say that some user level preferences come into play on issues like that though.