What happened to the GTX 590?

plutoniumman

@ Rollo
No company is perfect, nor have I stated that. I read the articles really fast... but is Apple switching back to NVIDIA because AMD doesn't perform as well as they expected? IMO: "working product" > "Product that works better but with defects"

...Atleast AMD appears to be trying to do something about it instead of just hiding it and hoping no one notices, like NVIDIA did.

That second article seems to have to do with manufacturing. As long as no bad products make it to consumers, why would anyone besides AMD or share holders care? Assuming I understood the article, I'd say QC at AMD did its job just fine.

Juggalo23451

GTX590s were a limited production. They said that from the beginning. Asus gtx590 card is what ruined the cards name because they had it where you can crank up the voltage to 1.2 which is to high for a card that is on air. Swedocers did that and made a video. Then that is when Nvidia started to have the lock down voltage with in the driver(280.19 doesn't). evga,msi,gigabyte and other manufactures did not even allow users to raise the voltage to 1.2v.

A buddy of mine made a thread on educating people about the 590 different forum
http://www.overclock.net/t/1063263/gtx-590-flashing-overclocking-thread

I have two gtx590s water cooled and I can do 720 core 1900memory stable to.
3dmark11
590oc.jpg

590oc1.jpg

Last edited:

Rollo

@ Rollo
No company is perfect, nor have I stated that. I read the articles really fast... but is Apple switching back to NVIDIA because AMD doesn't perform as well as they expected? IMO: "working product" > "Product that works better but with defects"

...Atleast AMD appears to be trying to do something about it instead of just hiding it and hoping no one notices, like NVIDIA did.

That second article seems to have to do with manufacturing. As long as no bad products make it to consumers, why would anyone besides AMD or share holders care? Assuming I understood the article, I'd say QC at AMD did its job just fine.

You alleged NVIDIA had quality control issues in recent years, then dredged up the three year old settlement they arrived at in regard to some case/fan designs where the chips failed over time due to heat issues. NVIDIA didn't "hide", they joined the manufacturers of those laptops in compensating the buyers of those designs.

And of course AMD was just sued a couple months ago by the largest manufacturer of laptops for the same thing:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/112147-hot-chips-laptop-manufacturer-sues-amd-over-allegedly-defective-chips

According to court documents, AMD’s chips failed to meet heat tolerances and were unfit for use.

FuryRosewood

I think what it comes down to, that is a niche card, and the base for selling it is so small, they decided to discontinue it instead of turning a loss.

plutoniumman

If NVIDIA willingly helped manufacturers, then what was the point of the lawsuit? Because so many of my devices were affected by this, I've kept up with the lawsuit fairly well. NVIDIA knew about this flaw in their chips and kept it secret for about 7, 8 months. It wasn't until just before the lawsuit that they publicly acknowledged the flaw. NVIDIA really did hide it, and they didn't work with manufacturers, until NVIDIA was taken to court.

As for the lawsuit with AMD, the article states it's possible it was a bad batch of chips, because the problem was found in only that one product line. It even later states: "...it’s much easier to believe that Quanta went for an underperforming cooling solution than to argue that a particular batch of defective chips passed validation, ended up in a single NEC product, and then caused problems".

If it really was a bad batch on AMD's side (and not due to Quanta's cooling solution), it's still different than NVIDIA. Because NVIDIA knowingly cranked out hundreds of thousands of bad chips, instead of just letting one bad run slip passed. It still seems: AMD/ATI > NVIDIA as far as QC.

Last edited:

Rollo

It was AMD's version of the 6990. It sucked, it sucked, it was hot, it sucked.

Astute analysis. It was the quietest dual GPU card ever made, introduced single card 3d Surround to the NVIDIA line, and is still tied for the fastest single slot card on the planet.

Yeah whole lot of fail going on there. Maybe if you post "it sucked" a few more times someone will believe you?

Jamebonds1

To head you up. Most of dual-GPU video card isn't good and better. 4 ATI 6970 beat 2 ATI 6990. 4 GTX 580 beat 2 GTX 590. GTX 590 have two "GTX 570" chip

Okedokey

So much misinformation in this thread. Unlike all of the "knowledgeable" posters, I'm actually using a GTX590 in my i5 2500K/25X16 secondary rig.

It did a long stint in my 990X/57 X 10 rig before that.

I never had an issue with heat.

I never had an issue with a game.

The benches I did run at 57 X 10 showed it around as fast as my GTX480SLi, and reviews showed it traded benches with the HD6990. (this means they are STILL tied as the fastest single slot solution, although 680s are knocking on the door and a better choice)

Single card dual GPU cards are never as fast as dual high end. There is no market for $1000 cards, and no one would buy two $500 cards if they could get the same for $700.. Not to mention power/heat limitations.

As to "where they are" my guess is they're EOL for production as NVIDIA ramps up the 6 series.

There is no mis-information in my thread whatsoever.

The GTX 590 is commonly considered a fail. The onboard SLI bridge has latency issues, the card has heat issues because it sucks air in the middle and distrubutes it in all directions in the case and in most games its slower than GTX580 SLI.

And your point about it not being around because they're working on the 6 series is simply nonsense. If your logic was true, then why are AGP cards available, or PCI cards, or even 8 series PCIe cards.

And btw, the GTX 590 is NOT a single slot solutions, its dual slot. The GT8800GT is single slot card. Get your facts straight.