what is the best anti virus ?

gamblingman

VIP Member
A/v

That is a kind of an open question....

Do you mind paying for it, or do you want a free one?

How much are you willing to pay for the product?

What providers have you used in the past, or is this your first time to get an anti-virus program?

Do you have a Windows, LINUX or Macintosh operating system?

What version of Windows do you have? Is it XP, VISTA, Windows 7, etc...

What kind of computer do you have and if possible, what are its specifications (i.e. amount of ram, the cpu speed, hard drive space: total and available)?

3uL

IMO, there is no best antivirus out there. Every antivirus has their own flaws. But you can use kaspersky, eset or MSE. I think these are good antivirus you can get. FYI, MSE is a free antivirus solution.

wildbill

Having real good luck with Avast. But anti-virus software is only for viruses. Need a separate program for malware and such. In that case, I recommend Malware Bytes.

shamimmirza

I suggest Kaspersky but it's more important to update any security software regularly than using any best brand.

:)

Respital

I have Avira AntiVir, and i quite like it. However just so that you know it is actually less safe if you have more than one Anti-Virus program on your computer as they will conflict each other.

Analizer

If free you can go with AVG 9.0 Free Edition, if you wanna pay for license there are quite a few available. Kaspersky, nod32 or AVG Pro

mrjack

VIP Member
Comodo Internet Security got the best score possible in the tests that the Matousec group ran. Here are the results.

I had AntiVir before I switched to Comodo. When I scanned with AntiVir I was able to find a few trojans and backdoors. I got rid of them and then the next day I found more on my computer. I got rid of them and ran three more scans, but I found nothing. I removed AntiVir and installed Comodo and ran a full scan, which resulted in finding 24 malicious objects. So in my experience Comodo is better at finding viruses, trojans etc., but the firewall can be annoying until you've set it up for all the applications that you use often.

gamblingman

VIP Member
maybe its wrong

Ok, I know I have a biased opinion. B ut my personal facts dont match up with their data in that test.

My family used to use Norton and we were experiencing major problems all the time, due to attacks. I switched everything to AVG and TrendMicro and suddenly there were no more problems. But on their results list it show norton better than both of what works for me.

Not only that but when I got TrendMicro or AVG on different machines I found between 5-20 viruses and trojans.

Norton wasn't catching hardly anything. So basically what I'm saying, be careful what you believe. I think their test must have been flawed.

I've never tried comodo, but I've only heard good things about it. I'll have to give it a shot one of these days.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I totally agree, I don't believe those test results. I have AVG and it has always alerted me when it doesn't like something. Do you know how many machines I have worked on that were infected that has those other security programs on it? Quite a lot in fact. With customers approval, I uninstalled their current security programs and put on my recommendations, AVG, Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware.

I do not believe those test results for 1 second.

Respital

Ok, I know I have a biased opinion. B ut my personal facts dont match up with their data in that test.

My family used to use Norton and we were experiencing major problems all the time, due to attacks. I switched everything to AVG and TrendMicro and suddenly there were no more problems. But on their results list it show norton better than both of what works for me.

Not only that but when I got TrendMicro or AVG on different machines I found between 5-20 viruses and trojans.

Norton wasn't catching hardly anything. So basically what I'm saying, be careful what you believe. I think their test must have been flawed.

I've never tried comodo, but I've only heard good things about it. I'll have to give it a shot one of these days.

I totally agree, I don't believe those test results. I have AVG and it has always alerted me when it doesn't like something. Do you know how many machines I have worked on that were infected that has those other security programs on it? Quite a lot in fact. With customers approval, I uninstalled their current security programs and put on my recommendations, AVG, Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware.

I do not believe those test results for 1 second.

They were likely paid of by the companies that get a recommendation from them as in a referral link because there's no way Avira only gets 10%.

gamblingman

VIP Member
yup

They were likely paid of by the companies that get a recommendation from them as in a referral link because there's no way Avira only gets 10%.

That is exactly what I thought when I saw how they displayed the results. The only links you can click are the ones THEY liked. It looked like a bad web ad.

Oh, and all the colors. I dont usually see reputable firms doing tests, then displaying their results like that. Its distracting and preys on habits of the mind. Especially in the way they used the bright blue for the "good" products, then bright red for the "bad" products.

In a better test the "firm" that did the test offers the data and their results. But they wouldn't use schemes involving color, layout, or wording in an attempt to push you in a direction. And a reputable firm would have offered links to all the products, that way you would have access to everything they used.

Ha ha ha, looking at it makes me think of a high school presentation. Like a kid that's trying too hard to make his report look substantial and well made. Lots of colors and fancy boxes are used; but only half of the links are included and the results don't make sense!

It's kind of painful that I've also seen college senoirs do the same thing. They didn't do their "homework" (ie. research, testing, field studies, etc...) and just used TECHNICOLOR fonts and background to cover-up the inadequacies.

That review is an EPIC FAIL

Last edited:

Hdk20

Like other people are saying, there is no "best" Antivirus out there. I personally think AVG free is great there are regular updates, scheduled scans, and all the protection you need. I'd go with that.