What makes Mac better?

Ethan3.14159

This is for laptops, but you get the idea.

Capture4.PNG

Capture3.PNG

This one was Rescuecom's desktop results.

Untitled-26.png

Last edited:

ganzey

banned
^^whats the source? desktops are not the same as laptops. the number for hp is so low becasue it most likely includes compaqs(which suck)

Last edited:

Ethan3.14159

Sources:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/most-least-reliable-notebooks-laptops,9102.html

Full publication of the above article:
http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf

Rescuecom's desktop press release:
http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseContent.aspx?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/03-24-2009/0004993489&EDATE=

Plus, personal experience. When I'm working service at my shop, at any given time there are 5 HP/Compaq laptops being worked on. There's a reason HP allows every shop with a service dept. to be a licensed repair agent. Because they can't deal with the amount of faults coming back to them alone. I mean today, there are 6 HP/Compaq's in my service deptartment, 1 ancient Acer, and 1 Toshiba. 2 of the Compaq's have faulty RAM slots, not fault RAM, but actual faulty slots. That's something we see like 5 times a year, not at once. I wouldn't take an HP even if it was given to me. Maybe an HP business laptop.... maybe.

Last edited:

zombine210

if you think about the demographics, since more people buy hp/compaq, then it's logical that more idiots withing that group also buy hp/compaq, therefore the failrate is much higher.
as opposed to the number of people that buy sony. the lower the market share, the lower the failure rate reported.

apple is doing good, but i wouldn't call it 'great'.

also, if i buy something for cheap, i wouldn't mind throwing it around a bit, as i would some two thousand dollar ceramic doorstop

Last edited:

zombine210

Plus, personal experience. When I'm working service at my shop, at any given time there are 5 HP/Compaq laptops being worked on. There's a reason HP allows every shop with a service dept. to be a licensed repair agent. Because they can't deal with the amount of faults coming back to them alone. I mean today, there are 6 HP/Compaq's in my service deptartment, 1 ancient Acer, and 1 Toshiba. 2 of the Compaq's have faulty RAM slots, not fault RAM, but actual faulty slots. That's something we see like 5 times a year, not at once. I wouldn't take an HP even if it was given to me. Maybe an HP business laptop.... maybe.

yeah, you can't use personal experience when you're trying to convince people of something. for all we know, you might be the only one in your village with electrical power :p

ganzey

banned
^^thats weird. all my family buys is hp. my parents old computer, their current one, my bros laptop, my netbook, my sisters laptop, and we even have an ancient hp running win 95. all still work, never had a single problem with any of them

Gooberman

^^whats the source? desktops are not the same as laptops. the number for hp is so low becasue it most likely includes compaqs(which suck)

HEY i have a compaq (with 2 upgrades xD) and it's been doing just fine for the past 2 years!

Ethan3.14159

if you think about the demographics, since more people buy hp/compaq, then it's logical that more idiots withing that group also buy hp/compaq, therefore the failrate is much higher.
as opposed to the number of people that buy sony. the lower the market share, the lower the failure rate reported.

apple is doing good, but i wouldn't call it 'great'.
But we're talking hardware failure. Only problems that are covered by warranty. Software and physical damage aren't covered by warranty. Can't really blame hardware faults on customers, regardless of how stupid they are.

There's a reason laptops from companies like HP, Acer, Dell, etc have a low price, and that's because they cut corners. They outsource manufacturing to whoever will do it the cheapest, not who will do it best.

Last edited:

zombine210

But we're talking hardware failure. Only problems that are covered by warranty. Software and physical damage aren't covered by warranty. Can't really blame hardware faults on customers, regardless of how stupid they are.

There's a reason laptops from companies like HP, Acer, Dell, etc have a low price, and that's because they cut corners. They outsource manufacturing to whoever will do it the cheapest, not who will do it best.

well, then for the price of a macbook, and looking at the fail rates, i'll have to say apple isn't doing very good at all either, considering their market share.

ganzey

banned

and where are apple's manufactured?
china

Gooberman

bet it has some lead in it *cough* xD jk first time i was on a mac was in my digital media class and we dual booted with XP

Ethan3.14159

and where are apple's manufactured?
china
Yeah... name one computer manufacturer than doesn't use China or any Asian country.

well, then for the price of a macbook, and looking at the fail rates, i'll have to say apple isn't doing very good at all either, considering their market share.
lolwut. Did you not see the numbers on the last page? Far higher reliability scores than HP and Acer. Only Asus and IBM have a higher score. And to be fair to Asus, they make good laptops. Plastic-ey, but good. And even with Asus there's a price premium over other manufacturers.

Last edited:

Ethan3.14159

thats my point. you said hp outsources to get it done cheapest way possible. so does apple
Except the factory in China where the stuff is assembled is owned and run by Apple. HP parts come from several factories all across Asia. They never know what's happening until it's time to put everything in the shell.... which happens to be the only thing they really manufacture.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I think there needs to be some clarifications here on the differences of the Mac and PC business models.

1) Apple designs all their hardware. They choose what chipsets to use, what resisters and capacitors, they design the printed circuit boards, configure power flow, and so forth. They do not contract this out to the lowest bidder. Then PCs, they don't design anything. Instead, they come up with specs. Then give those specs to a third party and say design me a board or let us purchase an existing one that are to these specs. They also will bargain for price per a unit as well. This cuts down the production cost of the PC as paying contractors to the lowest bidder is way cheaper than having people on actual payroll.

2) Every single electronic piece of technology has a failure rate. They all break. Apple is not immune to this. My experiences with every company have been mixed, even with Apple. However, the one thing that I can say about Apple is they actually have done recalls and extended warranties for known issues of their product. The iMac video card issue comes to mind, where they had manufactured logic boards with faulty capacitors which blew and affected the video card. The recent one I use a lot at work is on the 2007 Macbooks that have a chipped front top case. They will replace the top case for free, and it is an extended warranty repair. The G5 desktops had an issue where the liquid cooling system had an issue and the warranty was extended for free to the customer. What I am getting at is, Apple has taken care of their customers more so than any other company. I have also had a few Macs at my previous job where they got repaired so many times under apple care that Apple actually just replaced the whole machine out right. The user got a brand new Mac Pro, which was an upgrade since their current mac desktop was a last generation G5.

3) Everything is made in Asia. Your clothes, your computers, your gadgets, your plastics, your toys, your cell phones, that is the dumbest argument anyone could ever have on computers. End of story.

4) You cannot build a mac equivalent PC spec for spec, part for part, and feature for feature and make it cheaper than a Mac. Every time anyone here has actually try to do so, they cut so many corners, and then their only justification is, well who needs that? It is not a question of need, it is a question of is a Mac fairly priced for what you get, and the answer is yes.

5) It ultimately comes down to personal preference.

On a last note, 99% of people don't know what goes on under the hood of an OS. They have no clue what is going on other than they use the mouse to click on an icon and something happens. Unix, by design is the best OS humans have made thus far. That is why it has been around since the 60s, and runs that little thing called the Internet. Most high end web based applications are also ran off giant Unix servers, like Google Earth for example. Windows, is a great consumer OS because it doesn't deal with POSIX, or any other sort of authentication/permissions model other than read only and read/write. Windows also uses a Registry, which is the dumbest idea anyone has ever had. Why put all your eggs into one basket? However, Windows has allowed developers direct access to their kernel via kernel hooks and Microsoft was very smart with business. Gates and Balmer aren't computer geniuses, but they are good a business. They struck deals with every computer company out there, all the while other computer companies designed everything in house (Amiga, Commodore, Sun, Apple, so forth and so on). Many of those companies never made it, because they could not compete with the fact that too many other hardware companies were using Windows. Microsoft, was also one of the first companies to brand their OS as such. Where every other computer company wrote their own OS and developed their own hardware.

So, this thread should pretty much now be over.

zombine210

TL;NR
all i saw was:

I think there needs to be some clarifications here on the differences of the Mac and PC business models.

1) Apple designs all their hardware. They choose what chipsets to use, what resisters and capacitors, they design the printed circuit boards, configure power flow, and so forth. They do not contract this out to the lowest bidder. Then PCs, they don't design anything. Instead, they come up with specs. Then give those specs to a third party and say design me a board or let us purchase an existing one that are to these specs. They also will bargain for price per a unit as well. This cuts down the production cost of the PC as paying contractors to the lowest bidder is way cheaper than having people on actual payroll.

2) Every single electronic piece of technology has a failure rate. They all break.
Apple is not immune to this. My experiences with every company have been mixed, even with Apple. However, the one thing that I can say about Apple is they actually have done recalls and extended warranties for known issues of their product. The iMac video card issue comes to mind, where they had manufactured logic boards with faulty capacitors which blew and affected the video card. The recent one I use a lot at work is on the 2007 Macbooks that have a chipped front top case. They will replace the top case for free, and it is an extended warranty repair. The G5 desktops had an issue where the liquid cooling system had an issue and the warranty was extended for free to the customer. What I am getting at is, Apple has taken care of their customers more so than any other company. I have also had a few Macs at my previous job where they got repaired so many times under apple care that Apple actually just replaced the whole machine out right. The user got a brand new Mac Pro, which was an upgrade since their current mac desktop was a last generation G5.

3) Everything is made in
Asia. Your clothes, your computers, your gadgets, your plastics, your toys, your cell phones, that is the dumbest argument anyone could ever have on computers. End of story.

4) You cannot build a mac equivalent PC spec for spec, part for part, and feature for feature and make it cheaper than a Mac. Every time anyone here has actually try to do so, they
cut so many corners, and then their only justification is, well who needs that? It is not a question of need, it is a question of is a Mac fairly priced for what you get, and the answer is yes.

5) It
ultimately comes down to personal preference.

On a last note, 99% of people don't know what goes on under the hood of an OS. They have no clue what is going on other than they use the mouse to click on an icon and something happens. Unix, by design is the best OS humans have made thus far. That is why it has been around since the 60s, and runs that little thing called the Internet. Most high end web based applications are also ran off giant Unix servers, like Google Earth for example. Windows, is a great consumer OS because it doesn't deal with POSIX, or any other sort of authentication/permissions model other than read only and read/write.
Windows also uses a Registry, which is the dumbest idea anyone has ever had. Why put all your eggs into one basket? However, Windows has allowed developers direct access to their kernel via kernel hooks and Microsoft was very smart with business. Gates and Balmer aren't computer geniuses, but they are good a business. They struck deals with every computer company out there, all the while other computer companies designed everything in house (Amiga, Commodore, Sun, Apple, so forth and so on). Many of those companies never made it, because they could not compete with the fact that too many other hardware companies were using Windows. Microsoft, was also one of the first companies to brand their OS as such. Where every other computer company wrote their own OS and developed their own hardware.

So, this thread should pretty much now be
over.

i agree :D