What should I do now?

JigokuZ

Hey everyone! My name is Kei and this will be my first post on CF.com.

I have a desktop which started life as a Gateway (Window ME) with a P3 6 or 7 years ago. 3 year ago I upgraded the Gateway with Asus P4G8X MB, 1 gb DDR, 2.4 P4 CPU. But I still used the same 19 GB Gateway HD and a Western D. 80GB Slave HD. I've always had weird problems with the computer. But I've got used to it. I don't know much about computers when it deals with numbers. I just know how to put everything together and hope it works.

Lately my computer would start restarting on it's own when used. And I have been fighting with HD space. It's time for me to upgrade into larger C drive. I don't know if I should upgrade to XP because I've used ME for so long that I'm used to it. Also I have a Western Digital 40GB hard drive with Window 2000 Pro. I was wondering about using that HD and buy a ME full version and go that route. I really don't know what I should do.

I'm planning on spending no more than $150 for this upgrade. What do you guys suggest?

NeuromancerWGDD'U

JigokuZ said:
I've always had weird problems with the computer. But I've got used to it

JigokuZ said:
I've used ME for so long that I'm used to it.
Could those be related?:p If I were you I'd use Windows 2000 or XP, ME just had insane amount of problems that Microsoft just kinda swept under the rug instead of fixing. That alone might help immensely.

Lax

VIP Member
Upgrade to XP (pro or home, both would work fine) and do a fresh install on the 40Gb drive. You can leave the 80Gb as a slave and even add the 19GB as another slave (if you don't already have both PATA chains filled [2 drives per chain]). Before you do any of that though I suggest you have your driver disks handy (or have the files downloaded and burned to disk or floppy (if you still use it).

Platinum

NeuromancerWGDD'U said:
Could those be related?:p If I were you I'd use Windows 2000 or XP, ME just had insane amount of problems that Microsoft just kinda swept under the rug instead of fixing. That alone might help immensely.

Haha very true. ME = Mistake Edition. Anyway, definately upgrade to XP, and install a fresh copy on the 40gig, leave the 80gig as slave, and the 19 do what you want, format it and throw it in the machine or whatever. But this is going to cost more than $150 (depending where you purchase from).

alanuofm

VIP Member
the restarts can be due to a bad power supply. the older gateways have really bad power supplies. my four year old gateway has a 250 watt psu.

JigokuZ

Well.. the restarts only happen with I'm trying to use Bit Torrent. But every once in a while it would have errors on start up. And I no longer have the Gateway power supply. Cause I blew it after the upgrade.

Is folder on ME where it has all the drivers? And how exactly do I format a hard drive?

I've tried to plugingthe 40GB as a slave drive but for some reason it didn't show up under My computer. and I've set the jumper to Slave.

So I should just go ahead and get a XP full version and install it to my 40GB after formatting...

alanuofm

VIP Member
i would get xp regardless of any problems. ME was a joke of an OS. longhorn might come out soon though. they say 2006. however they say a lot of dates.

colinstu

I would first upgrade the power supply to a bigger wattage psu. Then I would make the 40 gig HD(harddrive) as the master drive and make the 80 and 19gig ones into slaves. Then buy windows xp(home/pro doesn't matter), put the CD in and when you are at the making partions part, format the 40gig as NTFS, 19gig as NTFS, and 80gig NTFS. Use the 40gig partiton as the one you are going to install windows on. Then once that is done, install all the updates and Service Packs, drivers, and programs and your good to go.

I think Windows ME has FAT32 as the format (is slow and old) so that will slow it down. The 19gig HD probably is a slow RPM and the ATA/ is probably a little number and that will slow that down a lot. The HD is probably fragged (defrag it).

The cheapist windows xp would be a OEM windows xp home($89?). Make shur you get the right size psu(prices can be from cheap to really expensive). Formating and partiting the HDs is free. I would think that would be under a $150.

JigokuZ

colinstu said:
I would first upgrade the power supply to a bigger wattage psu. Then I would make the 40 gig HD(harddrive) as the master drive and make the 80 and 19gig ones into slaves. Then buy windows xp(home/pro doesn't matter), put the CD in and when you are at the making partions part, format the 40gig as NTFS, 19gig as NTFS, and 80gig NTFS. Use the 40gig partiton as the one you are going to install windows on. Then once that is done, install all the updates and Service Packs, drivers, and programs and your good to go.

I think Windows ME has FAT32 as the format (is slow and old) so that will slow it down. The 19gig HD probably is a slow RPM and the ATA/ is probably a little number and that will slow that down a lot. The HD is probably fragged (defrag it).

The cheapist windows xp would be a OEM windows xp home($89?). Make shur you get the right size psu(prices can be from cheap to really expensive). Formating and partiting the HDs is free. I would think that would be under a $150.

That's a good idea... I could install the 40GB 2000 Pro. Then just buy the XP home upgrade version. That will format my 40GB on install right?

Also my MB supports SATA... can I like convert my PATA HD to SATA?

colinstu

JigokuZ said:
That's a good idea... I could install the 40GB 2000 Pro. Then just buy the XP home upgrade version. That will format my 40GB on install right?

Probably. If the 40gig HD already has NTFS, you won't need to format. But doesn't the upgrade need win2k? If you format (whipes the drive and has the harddrive clean with the new format) some win2k file won't be there and install won't work? I would just buy a OEM winxp home. And also if you had a virus on the drive, it could move to winxp too.

JigokuZ said:

?. I never heard of PATA. I've heard of SATA tho. SATA is faster, but you need to get the SATA drives and those are expensive. (they cost between a IDE drive and a SCSI drive, I think)

colinstu

You said you diddn't pay attention to numbers. The only real important numbers are the: FSB (on CPU and on Mobo),speed of CPU that the mobo can take, speed of RAM, how much ram you can have in the mobo. But those are probably correct.

It's the whole windows ME, old HD thing that sounds like the problem.

riddick

Without a doubt ME was a worthless OS that Microsoft should have never put out! BAD,BAD,BAD OS....I am sure that is where 90% of your problems are coming from!

JigokuZ

colinstu said:
You said you diddn't pay attention to numbers. The only real important numbers are the: FSB (on CPU and on Mobo),speed of CPU that the mobo can take, speed of RAM, how much ram you can have in the mobo. But those are probably correct.

It's the whole windows ME, old HD thing that sounds like the problem.

This is the spec of my mobo. I got it a few years back. I did look at the specs when I got the mobo. And the CPU was the best that I could afford.

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4G8X Deluxe&langs=09

Can you guys tell me how good is my mobo?

I got the mobo because there's still a whole lot room for me to upgrade at time. It also have many features, that I never learned how to use. Does anyone here run the same mobo?

CIMG0179.jpg

5ce83816.jpg

8300971e.jpg

MadModder

For starters (but not required), go get some wire ties and tie up your loose wires! Also, you really shouldn't use the XP Upgrade, it can become a bit of a problem because it leaves extra files from the previous OS most of the time. I recommend you buy the OEM copy of XP Home here and do a fresh install. But if you really want to, go ahead and do the upgrade from 2k to XP, just be aware that there may be problems.

Some things about your mobo, it only supports a max FSB of 533mhz, meaning it wouldn't be able to support many modern P4s. The memory you're using is PC2100, I'm guessing as that is the motherboard spec. That is some old, slow memory you've got there. Overall that motherboard is not to good, couldn't do much with modern parts.

Last edited:

JigokuZ

MadModder said:
For starters (but not required), go get some wire ties and tie up your loose wires! Also, you really shouldn't use the XP Upgrade, it can become a bit of a problem because it leaves extra files from the previous OS most of the time. I recommend you buy the OEM copy of XP Home here and do a fresh install. But if you really want to, go ahead and do the upgrade from 2k to XP, just be aware that there may be problems.

lol... I've try making all the wires look neat but fail everytime. The link you posted, that's the full version right? It's pretty cheap I might go that route. Also what's the best Socket 478 CPU? Since they're phased out I should be able to get a good one for fairly cheap now....

oh.. I really appreicate you guys for all your help. I know the more I post the more questions I end up with. Sorry for that.... I hope you guys don't mind.

MadModder

I edited my post with some things about your mobo. As I said, with a max FSB support of 533mhz you can't get too much. The best CPU you can get though is this , that comes without a heatsink and fan, so you may want to keep the one you have now, or get a new one. The OS disc link that I posted, yes that is full version, but it comes without the goodies like the user manual. This forum is all about questions, so don't worry, no one minds.

JigokuZ

It's sad to hear that my mobo is crap... but I kinda expected it...I haven't been messing with computers after I put mine together few years ago. Everything have changed so much.

Oh well... my goal for it now is to just make it reliable. One more question, someone told me that when I get a full version xp I can only install it one time and anytime after that I have to call Microsoft and "buy" or "get" another new code. Is that true?

MadModder

JigokuZ said:
One more question, someone told me that when I get a full version xp I can only install it one time and anytime after that I have to call Microsoft and "buy" or "get" another new code. Is that true?

You can use a copy of XP as many times as you want, as long as it is only on one system, after you use it on that system, that will be the only one you can use it on.

NeuromancerWGDD'U

colinstu said:
?. I never heard of PATA. I've heard of SATA tho. SATA is faster, but you need to get the SATA drives and those are expensive. (they cost between a IDE drive and a SCSI drive, I think)
HDD101
http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=10947

Oh, and, SATA drives aren't more expensive than PATA drives.

jigokuZ said:
PATA and SATA are entirely different interfaces. No, you cannot "convert" a PATA hard-drive to a SATA hard-drive. Well...technically, if you had about 15 years with nothing to do, and about 5 years of electrical/computer training I'm sure you could manage to convert it, but that would be about as fun/easy to do as converting the pope to Rastafarian.

Last edited:

colinstu

Can you put some pictures of you computer, w/ the lights on. So I can see the computer better. (not the lights inside your computer)